Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Using a designer, but then print yourself ?s

I had my eye on these Etsy invitations sets that I really love.  However, the one I like best is letterpress and it works out to be $14 per set!  (Digital letterpress wasn't that much cheaper.) Something about how she has to charge me for 100 minimum since she cannot do any fewer based on her plates, but I only need 30 sets!

I have a designer friend, and she can make me something similar - digitally.  I'd pay her $30/hour for a couple hours to design a set, then I'd take them somewhere to be printed.

My question is - do I need to have my blank paper (aka invitation, envelope, postcard RSVP) picked out FIRST so that the designer knows the dimensions?

I envisioned taking the files to Kinkos (or some online printer), but haven't gone there yet to investigate their paper sizes. 

Can someone share the order of how I do this method?  I am clueless.

Re: Using a designer, but then print yourself ?s

• Options
    1. Decide on a printer-find out what paper weight/sizes they use (I have heard Kinkos/Staples are VERY limited in size and thickness)

2. Decide shape for invites/RSVP cards, get a template w/dimensions and bleed needs and give it to your designer

3. Take the design to the printers/upload. Ask if you can get a proof before printing the entire order
  • Options
    You need your invitations to fit into standard envelopes -- the most common are A-7, A-10 and A-2

Wedding paaper divas have more information about that here: http://www.weddingpaperdivas.com/services/wedding-invitation-envelopes.htm

Some printers will charge you extra to cut the paper -- you'll need to investigate and possibly shop around.

Have you asked the Etsy designer if she'd be willing to sell you a digital version? She might be willing to do that givrn how easy it is for her to make a bit of moolah.
    Lizzie
  • Options
    ginadogginadog member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Thanks, this is what I wanted - a step by step process!

Have you asked the Etsy designer if she'd be willing to sell you a digital version? She might be willing to do that givre how easy it is for her to make a bit of moolah.

Ah!  A digital version rather than a digitally printed letterpress.  No I did not ask that, but I will. 

So if this did work, I would presumably let her know my dimensions first, rather than her just making me files and then I figure out how to print them?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_using-designer-but-then-print-yourself-s?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:120ff371-b6c7-48ed-a705-90aa6041bf7cPost:f14823cc-1663-463f-8254-5e84e8dbf3a1">Re: Using a designer, but then print yourself ?s</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks, this is what I wanted - a step by step process! Have you asked the Etsy designer if she'd be willing to sell you a digital version? She might be willing to do that givre how easy it is for her to make a bit of moolah. Ah!  A digital version rather than a digitally printed letterpress.  No I did not ask that, but I will.  <strong>So if this did work, I would presumably let her know my dimensions first, rather than her just making me files and then I figure out how to print them?</strong>
    Posted by ginadog[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes, and ask the company for a template she can use. Even if you choose 5X7 its possible the card stock might actually be 5 1/4 X 7 1/4. Also depending on the design, she may have to have 1/8-1/4 bleed around the edges-if you have a design that extends all the way to the edges of the invite. </div><div>
    </div><div>I know catprint has templates you can download.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards