July 2012 Weddings
Options

halter or not??

So I ended up buying a dress that is halter.. I'm not sure I like it now... the halter makes me feel like I have broad shoulders and it makes the fabric on my boobs lift... I wonder if I can remove the halter straps... I asked the seemtrist and she says I can't cuz the dress wont stay up... not sure she is telling the truth... anyone know or have suggestions?

Re: halter or not??

• Options

Pictures would help do you have any?

Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    If the halter straps on the dress were never made to be optional or removable, chances are the dress doesn't have the support or boning in it to keep it up if you wanted to remove the straps. I don't know how easy it is to add boning to a dress, but I would imagine that if it's possible, it might be a rather expensive alteration. I think the question of how possible it is to do also depends on how heavy your dress is.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_halter-or-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:178b65b0-05fe-4000-bf4a-3836b13a5681Post:6e249759-627b-48e7-b3c8-7c85f3b74fbc">halter or not??</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I ended up buying a dress that is halter.. I'm not sure I like it now... the halter makes me feel like I have broad shoulders and it makes the fabric on my boobs lift... I wonder if I can remove the halter straps... I asked the seemtrist and she says I can't cuz the dress wont stay up... not sure she is telling the truth... anyone know or have suggestions?
    Posted by Charlene John[/QUOTE]

I would listen to the seamstress.
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_halter-or-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:178b65b0-05fe-4000-bf4a-3836b13a5681Post:3f335bd5-d1b7-4879-9c8c-a9ea98433769">Re: halter or not??</a>:
    [QUOTE]If the halter straps on the dress were never made to be optional or removable, chances are the dress doesn't have the support or boning in it to keep it up if you wanted to remove the straps. I don't know how easy it is to add boning to a dress, but I would imagine that if it's possible, it might be a rather expensive alteration. I think the question of how possible it is to do also depends on how heavy your dress is.
    Posted by ceglare4[/QUOTE]

All of this. Halters are hardly ever made to be optional and it is the only support for the garment. Your seamstress is probably right. And if there is another way to support it, like Ceglare said it will probably require adding boning or support to the bodice which sounds like tons of work. It's reconstructing the dress basically!

Find out if this can be done and what will it cost. Never hurts to ask. And if it's not possible and the halter bothers you soo much, you might be better off selling your current dress and getting a new one. :-\ GL!
  • Options
    I agree with the PPs.

Please post some pics in the dress or get second opinions from some friends or family members. I am guessing it does not make your shoulders look broad the way you are imagining it does. If you look at any picture of yourself long enough, you will find faults that bother you, which may be totally imagined or exaggerated.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Did you ask her specifically if she could add boning? Is your dress heavy? Maybe you can also use double sided tape along with boning?

Could you take it to another seamstress for a second opintion? Haha!

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    I have absolutely MASSIVE swimmer's shoulders, and I have always found that halters help to show off toned shoulders and distract from the "largeness" of shoulders.  Do you have pics? I bet the halter actually looks great on you!

But, if you really hate the halter, I would talk to a seamstress (or two). Like the others have said, a halter is a really unqiue style of dress where the entire structure of the dress is based around the halter holding up the dress. I think depending on the boning/lack of boning in the dress, it could potentially take a LOT of work to remove the halter.

Please, show us a pic of the dress, I want to see it! There were a few really stunning halter dresses that I saw while dress shopping, and some of them had a lot of beading/emphasis on the halter, and if your dress is like that, I definitely wouldn't remove the halter.
  • Options
    pps gave some great advice, it's the structure of a strapless dress when it's made that makes it stay up.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sure its just me! Lol here is a link to my dress.. I can't upload my pic of me in it :
  • Options
    Sorry ladies I'm new and doing this on my phone ; lol the link... http://www.morilee.com/bridals/voyage/6305
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards