Students

people can be so rude! vent!

I'm a dance teacher and one of my students was talking about boys and I jokingly said she shouldn't be thinking about boys (she's 16 and totally boy crazy) and then another and "you're one to talk" since they know I'm 21 and engaged (no date or planning yet- after grad school, so around 23ish) but the mother who was standing there was like, "excuse me, how old are you?" I said 21 and the look on her face was just horrified! Then I felt like I needed to explain myself (we've been together for 6 years and have been long distance for our whole undergrad) and she was still taken back. I'm so irritated with her for being rude, but also myself for feeling like I owe anyone an explanation... anyone else ever feel like this? Thanks for letting me vent :) 

Re: people can be so rude! vent!

• I've gotten this look before not only from complete strangers but from FI's mom!! I'm 21 and will be 22 when we get married next year we've been together for 4 years and have a child togehter. and people still judge us! DOn't let it get you down!! I always tell them "You can help who you love.and when it's right it's right and there is nothing you can say to change that."
  • I'm 22, I don't get looks really, I get the infamous disappointed 'ohs.' My FI is asked questions such as 'are you really getting married?' 'how do you know she's the one?' and they think he's just pulling their legs since he's 19 and is only a freshman in college. But we love each other and that's how we settle people and the reactions down.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_people-can-rude-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:c0c96714-98d5-427b-9731-25bac28d1d1ePost:891b07b6-5c18-4c9f-ad27-3ed5989e4909">Re: people can be so rude! vent!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't usually read the student threads, but was just browsing today and wanted to comment. My FI and I got engaged a couple months ago - he's 34 and I'm 30.  Anyhoot, there are some people who are happy for us because we've "finally" found someone. Neither of us have been married before, nor do we have any kids. People seem kinda surprised when we say we don't have kids or haven't been married before. After reading y'alls posts, it just seems so ironic because people will give you a hard time if you're "too young" but they also feel that by 30 you should be married with children already. So go figure. I've come to the conclusion that you just can't please people. Fall in love whenever it happens for you, be happy, live responsibly, and get married. It's just the way life happens.
    Posted by 2012FutureMrsB[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This. This so hard it isn't even funny. Please go explain this to my mother! :) Congratulations to you on your engagement!

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • I don't usually read the student threads, but was just browsing today and wanted to comment. My FI and I got engaged a couple months ago - he's 34 and I'm 30.  Anyhoot, there are some people who are happy for us because we've "finally" found someone. Neither of us have been married before, nor do we have any kids. People seem kinda surprised when we say we don't have kids or haven't been married before.

After reading y'alls posts, it just seems so ironic because people will give you a hard time if you're "too young" but they also feel that by 30 you should be married with children already. So go figure. I've come to the conclusion that you just can't please people. Fall in love whenever it happens for you, be happy, live responsibly, and get married. It's just the way life happens.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_people-can-rude-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:684Discussion:c0c96714-98d5-427b-9731-25bac28d1d1ePost:f2a6bdcf-3966-4e00-8eba-18892ff59a60">Re: people can be so rude! vent!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: people can be so rude! vent! : This. This so hard it isn't even funny. Please go explain this to my mother! :) <strong>Congratulations to you on your engagement!
    </strong>Posted by birdie1020[/QUOTE]

Thanks! And good luck with your mom!
  • Don't let anyone make you feel ashamed for being engaged at any age. Me and my fiancé are 22 we are planning a wedding when we will be 24. We have been together for almost six years with a child but friends of friends have made comments about our age. The most recent was " wow your engaged, that would ruin my life being so young but i guess it's your life so you do what you want". People can just be so rude and you shouldn't even take a second thought about negative comments.
  • I am 20 and my fiance is 22.  Mostly, we get odd looks when people find out that I am the one working while my fiance stays home.  They feel it would be ok if the roles were reversed so that he was the one working but that there is something wrong with our current situation.  It gets very frustrating sometimes.  I have gotten the, "You are so young, how do you know what you want, you should have more of a plan for the future," stuff.  I find it funny that I can go to college and plan for the working part of my life at 20 but not the personal one.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards