Gay Weddings

Target?

Does anyone know if this story has merit?  http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20011983-503544.html  And/or if there are any updates?

FI and I are planning where to register (we are still 9 months out, so we haven't registered yet) and we can't register for wedding gifts at a place that is against marriage equality. 

I used the search option, but I didn't see any previous posts on this topic - this is my first visit to the Gay Weddings board - so I apologize if it has already been discussed to death. If so, please point me to a link! 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Target?

• juiceamaphonejuiceamaphone member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yep, unfortuantely it's true... we registered there months ago and our wedding is just around the corner, so we're super confilcted and upset about it.
  • edited December 2011
    There's been a lot of talk about this on the gay internetz.  My understanding is that Target donated money to a pro-business PAC that supports several candidates, including a conservative who in turn has ties to some virulently anti-gay opinions.  This is of course bad, and I wish that Target would respond in support of the gay community.  However, I think the coverage has been a bit unfair to Target in not covering the indirectness of the link.  And, overall, Target actually has a very good pro-LGBT record.  It's up to you how much weight you want to put on this.  Maybe I'm a cynic, but I think if you're going to put a lot of weight on this type of tie, you're going to very limited in the stores you could support.
    TTC with PCOS since July 2011.
    IVF Oct/Nov 2012
    Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 190, Beta #3 = 1044
    Cautiously optimistic.
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    To put this into perspective, it is not unusual for a company to donate to both sides in the same race.  The thought is that whoever wins, they will have an "in."

In this case, it is clear that they contributed for reasons having nothing to do with the guy's position on gay rights.  With a good record with regard to their own employees (and a clear policy that gay couples can have registries there), I'm not sure I would boycott them just for this.

Apparently, other companies (including Best Buy) donated to the same candidate.  Target's donation has sparked outrage precisely because Target is known for its progressive policies with regard to gay employees.  I really would not like to establish the precedent that we boycott our friends for lesser offenses than would be required to boycott those who are otherwise indifferent to gay rights.
  • buffalove716buffalove716 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It seems transparency from these intermediaries would be better for the companies and the public.  That would be good to know to avoid misinformation.  My congressman put up a link on his facebook page telling people to boycott Target, and I was wondering why it wasn't a topic on here. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I have heard from family members that Target has a really bad track record with wedding registries. Their returns policy is poor and someone we know was given multiples of the same items because they never marked them off the registry. Then they weren't allowed to return them.

Perhaps look for a more reliable place?
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_gay-weddings_target?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:44Discussion:1b5946df-33ee-4b76-9641-90429673c9bbPost:8207a22a-2efa-432e-9f36-4fad812e6836">Re: Target?</a>:
    [QUOTE] I really would not like to establish the precedent that we boycott our friends for lesser offenses than would be required to boycott those who are otherwise indifferent to gay rights.
    Posted by 2dBride[/QUOTE]
     I think this bears repeating!  Although we shouldn't have to settle, we do need to remember to continue to support companies that overall have a positive record when there are so many that don't.

As for the issues with Target's registries, they've been thoroughly debated all over the knot (or maybe just the Minneapolis board?).  It seems that they've changed a lot of the questionable policies, but some people have had some issues with returns.  Personally we didn't register there because we liked the stuff other places - but neither the return policy nor the politics would stop me if I was doing it again.
    TTC with PCOS since July 2011.
    IVF Oct/Nov 2012
    Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 190, Beta #3 = 1044
    Cautiously optimistic.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, I also heard about this, but again, you have to consider intent.  Target didn't donate to the AFA, they donated to a PAC that had a member who was against gay rights... huge discrepancy there.
  • edited December 2011
    I am straight but many of my friends are gay (including my maid of honor and 3 other members of my bridal party) and I had just spent over 3 hours registering at Target when this news hit.  I simply went to some other stores and registered there.  I have spread the word that I prefer people shop at the other stores
    I am my beloved's, and my beloved is mine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards