Military Brides

Groomsmen question

Hi ladies,

My FI will be an army officer when we get married, and our groomsmen are a bit split (2 fellow officers and 2 civilians). My wedding theme is very rustic and simple, and I had originally envisioned my groomsmen in causual attire (no jacket, rolled up sleeves, khakiis). A lot like this:

But my concern is that because only two guys out of our whole party will look like this, they might look awkward next to all the formal dress blues.

Do you think this will look alright, or should I dress the guys up a bit more?

Also, our bridesmaids are wearing a simple tiered pink cotton dress with a leather belt and cowboy boots.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Groomsmen question

• If this is how you originally envisioned the GM, why are some of them wearing dress blues? Is that what your FI wants or are you assuming that they have to?  Because they don't have to wear their uniforms just because they're in the Army. You can have them wear whatever you want.  But like you said, I definitely would not mix the casual look with a formal uniform.
  • I had not anticipated the other officers being in our wedding originally. The groomsmen line up changed when my FI decided to ask two guys he's graduating with to be in the wedding, instead of two of his old friends from high school who he hasn't really spoken to in a year.

My FI is really leaning towards everyone being in uniform, but I would prefer it if it were just him. Would it be rude to ask them not to wear their uniforms?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Even if your FI is wearing his formal uniform, I wouldn't have the guys so casual.  It will still look funny.  You really need to match the formalilty of the GMs dress to that of the Groom.  Its the same with you and your BMs.  If you are wearing a super formal dress, they shouldn't be casual.  It should all be cohesive.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_groomsmen-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:52ba6d2e-da0e-4373-ab22-116c451f92e3Post:6b402a3c-2603-4fbf-ab94-157e16fcefaf">Re: Groomsmen question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had not anticipated the other officers being in our wedding originally. The groomsmen line up changed when my FI decided to ask two guys he's graduating with to be in the wedding, instead of two of his old friends from high school who he hasn't really spoken to in a year. My FI is really leaning towards everyone being in uniform, but I would prefer it if it were just him. Would it be rude to ask them not to wear their uniforms?
    Posted by AFeldy[/QUOTE]

<div>It's okay to ask them to wear the same as everyone else, but your FI prefers for them to be in uniform it looks like so you need to take in his input as well. Like Team Baby, I would not mix the dress uniforms with what everyone else are wearing, cowboy boots does not go with formal dress uniforms at all. The equivalent of it is a tuxedo. </div><div>
    </div><div>ETA: I think if your whole theme is this "casual" then your Fi shouldn't wear his dress uniforms either, it's just too formal for that IMO. </div>
  • That wouldn't be rude at all.  Most would probably prefer not to wear it anyway.  But overall, I don't think any of the uniforms would work with the country rustic wedding style you're planning. :/  I'd try to talk him out of it. But that's just me.  He'll have PLENTY of opportunities to wear his uniform, trust me! LOL
  • Well now I'm second guessing everything, lol.

We've both agreed on having a casual BBQ reception (we're on a bit of a budget, and it suites us). But, I'm worried my FI is going to look overdressed. He will be just beginning his military career; he's really proud of that fact and wants to wear his dress blues. But, nothing about our wedding is going to be very formal. Should I try to talk him out of wearing his uniform?

Also, this is very similar to our BM dress:

But minus the sweetheart neckline and add pearls instead of the other necklace. The dress and jewelry already been purchased for all of the girls, but the boots have not.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I get that your FI wants to wear his uniform, but nothing about your wedding fits with the formality of the uniform.  As Kara said, dress blues are basically the equivalent of a tuxedo.  Nothing about your wedding is the equivalent of a tuxedo.  (I don't mean that as a knock at all, you want a casual BBQ wedding and I think the rest of your attire matches that perfectly).  I think you need to have a talk with your FI about priorities between the two of you, and if it's more important for him to wear his uniform and have a more formal affair, or for him to forget the uniform and continue the casual theme.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree.  You either need to pick a formal theme with the uniform or keep casual and ditch the uniform.  I get that he's excited to be able to wear it, but like TB said, he'll have plenty of opportunities to wear it over his carreer.  
  • Im a bit new to actually posting on this site but this caught my attention. I am getting married this Saturday and my Marine is wearing his dress blues for the ceremony but changing into a more casual outfit (black pants, black shirt, and hot pink tie) for the reception because our reception is much more laid back then the ceremony.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Normally, I would agree with this statement.  However, since the bride's maids dresses have already been chosen and are super casual and paired with cowboy boots, they will look extremely off with a formal uniform or tuxedos.  As far as atire, there has to be some sort of cohesion and flow.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards