Wedding Invitations & Paper

Invites and Kids

hi Everyone!

So my FI and I are planning on inviting all the cousins on his side (there are only 5 under 18) and my niece and nephew and 2 godchildren to our wedding, however beyond those 9 kids, we weren't planning on having kids at the wedding.

Any suggestions on how to put this on the invite that wouldn't be tacky. Do I have to invite all the cousins under 18 on my side of the family too? Its about 10 more.

Re: Invites and Kids

• **I should add, the youngest out of the kids invited is 13 at the time of the wedding**

There are probably only 8 more cousins on my side, but then there are about 20 more if we count our cousin's children, etc.
  • The only non-tacky way to indicate that children are not invited is to leave their names off the outer and inner envelopes when addressing them.  Any form of direct "Adults only" or "No children" message is tacky and rude.
  • Don't say anything on the invitations. Why are you inviting all HIS cousins but none of yours? Is this going to cause trouble with your family? Everyone's family dynamic is different, and so if it could get sticky, it is usually suggested that you invite in tiers with clear cutoffs.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I say all or none.  There are going to be some ticked off parents if they have to pay for a babysitter and then see children at the wedding.
  • SlothGoalsSlothGoals member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2012
    It's okay to invite kids in tiers but I think yours need to be a bit more clear cut. Why only his cousins and not yours? Why don't you start with children in the wedding party and nieces/nephews on both sides and go from there?

ETA: I just saw your second post. You can definitely invite your first cousins without having to invite their children. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_invites-and-kids?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:f50e28dd-9e5b-403f-bd1f-e7332a5cc4ffPost:394c0d18-8b88-4af3-8dc9-48d228f88171">Re: Invites and Kids</a>:
    [QUOTE]I say all or none.  There are going to be some ticked off parents if they have to pay for a babysitter and then see children at the wedding.
    Posted by swanny55[/QUOTE]

That is their problem-not the couple's.  If there are any children who are not capable of proper behavior at the wedding to the point that the safety of people or property is at risk if they are present, then those children do not belong at the wedding and should not be invited no matter how pissed off their parents get. 

If you're (generic) not going to parent your children properly, you have no business acting like Mama or Papa Bear.
  • Thank you for this post. We have three kids in our wedding and were going to one other set of children that are like family to us, but didn't want to invite other children. We didn't know how to do this without being rude. Thank you all for the advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards