New Jersey
Options

Negotiate with The Atrium in West Orange?

Hi everyone, we are going to be a wedding of around 135-150 guests and have realized that we will be gettign all the smaller (and usually not as nice) rooms at any reception hall. We visited The Atrium this weekend and totally love the deal and the whole place. We were shown the downstairs room because of our 135 guests, and definitely liked it and were very happy with it. Didn't feel like a basement or cramped at all. But then.. they showed us the Crystal room upstairs. Classic mistake!! We fell in love with that room, but they require at 200 minimum on saturday nights (we are really pushing for a Saturday night in May/June 2013). They also said the p/p would be around $155 all included instaed of $125. 

Anyone have any experience in negotiating on bringing the minimum guest count down, we would looveeee to have the Crystal room and now the downstiars just doesn't look as nice as it did before. Any tips would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

Re: Negotiate with The Atrium in West Orange?

• Options
    buttrflyahbuttrflyah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We experienced the same thing with our venue, Seasons.  The upstairs room, which was appropriate for the size of our wedding (and budget) was nice, but the downstairs ballroom was just breath taking and exactly what I was looking for.  

I compromised by having a Saturday day time wedding.  They are giving us the larger ball room, with a lower headcount (135 vs the standard 175) and we got a discounted price.  If its something you are willing to consider, I definitely would.  

My friend did the same thing last year and her wedding was the best wedding I've been to.  It was over by 6pm, we went back to the hotel and partied at the bar there and it was nice to be in bed by 10:30.  Something to think about!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    oxlizxooxlizxo member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I know you really want a Saturday night in May or June, but you might want to consider April, or maybe even a Sunday night. Most places are more willing to negotiate if it's not a Saturday night, or if it's in the off-season.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    LDamianiLDamiani member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi,

I'm actually having my Wedding at the Atrium in Sept 2012.  The crystal room is so amazing.  I would try and ask them how much of a price different would it be to have it a Friday or Sunday night, I heard they run great deals for those nights.  Or ask about a Saturday afternoon, it might work, good luck! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    LDamianiLDamiani member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Chrissy, I sent you a PM :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    they have and can bump up the price per head to accomodate the price differential..not sure if you're feel in that option though.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We ran into this problem a lot too since we only had 150 and wouldnt change from a Saturday night. I would highly recommend our venue if your still looking- Hamilton Park Hotel in Florham Park you will be the only wedding/event the whole day, the food is amazing, and the minimum is only 125 on a Saturday night (we got married in June) if you go with the higher end package. They were incredible to work with and its really beautiful. We loved not having to stress over the minimum and being the only wedding, which didnt seem possible at many places unless w/ had over 200 people.  Good luck!
  • Options
    GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_negotiate-atrium-west-orange-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:5b6f94f7-14d9-43f6-80ce-8aba8601a834Post:fe807508-b5ad-4cad-84a7-51b7d3d077a1">Re: Negotiate with The Atrium in West Orange?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We ran into this problem a lot too since we only had 150 and wouldnt change from a Saturday night. I would highly recommend our venue if your still looking- Hamilton Park Hotel in Florham Park you will be the only wedding/event the whole day, the food is amazing, and the minimum is only 125 on a Saturday night (we got married in June) if you go with the higher end package. They were incredible to work with and its really beautiful. We loved not having to stress over the minimum and being the only wedding, which didnt seem possible at many places unless w/ had over 200 people.  Good luck!
    Posted by gymchick05[/QUOTE]

I work down the road and went to an event today at the Hamilton Park Hotel. I was there last week too for a meeting and have to say... It's absolutely gorgeous! Definitely check it out... We had 124 and had to do a Friday night at our venue because of minimums. if you really want a Saturday there are options out there; it just might take some legwork. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Giaspo! Im so glad you liked it- did they give you food? I miss there food SO much, it was so good- too bad they dont serve the same stuff in the restaurant, the restaurant there is realy good, they just dont have the same options as the catering menu or we'd be eating there all the time haha. The Palace is gorgeous as well!!- I would have loved to look there, but it was too far away from where our families live.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had a very similar situation with the Atrium.  We absolutely loved the upstairs ballroom, but we could only guarantee less than 150 people.  We also negotiated with them and didn't really get anywhere, and we felt the downstairs room just wouldn't cut it... especially with all those stairs.  The price difference between having it on a Saturday night vs Friday or Sunday was minimal, as well. 

We ended up booking the Bridgewater Manor and are really happy with our choice.  (My wedding is in July)

Good luck!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Kate's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards