Latino Weddings
Options

Assigned seating at latino wedding?

I'm sort of fearing the reaction our families might have if we tell them where to sit in our reception, seing as how its not really a Latino custom. But I do find it necessary to have one because our wedding is small (90 guest...small for Latinos) and there will be a lot of guest attending solo. I feel that by having assigned seating I can sit people together that I think will hit it off.

What do you think? Would your family find this weird and maybe even a little rude?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Assigned seating at latino wedding?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Maybe you can do a few assigned tables for immediate family and the rest can be unassigned.
  • Options
    Nati05Nati05 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    No my family wouldn't find it weird nor rude. They might actually find it strange if there wasn't assigned seating or tables. IMO I think more Latino families are becoming more accepting of different customs of the country they live in. They might not get it or see the point, but they understand that things are done differently in the US and younger generations are beginning to follow them. So I don't think it would be a big deal.

What I wouldn't do for sure, is assign some groups and not others. That makes it look like certain guests are more important than others and the unassigned guests don't necessarily deserve assignments or the trouble it takes, you know? So you don't want to make guests feel bad.

I will say that table assignments are an alternate option; one that I am planning on doing myself. If you don't feel comfortable seating people, you can simply assign them a table to sit at and they decide where at the table to sit. This way you can group certain people together that you thing will get along, and still let them choose where they would like to sit at their table. I find table assignments to be a good compromise. HTH! Good luck!
  • Options
    garzalgarzal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I don't know about your family but mine would get offended.  I live in Austin, Tx right now but my family's from south Texas.  And down there, hispanic weddings don't have assigned seating.  "El que llega primero, guarda la mesa" has always been a saying in our family.  Yet, I like Ms. Sunshine's idea of having a few reserved tables and the rest unassigned.  Good luck!

Pregnancy Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    MariodoMujerMariodoMujer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

garzal: I think his family will probably be the most offended, but i can see my family finding it strange too. We're both from Houston and both families are very ver VERY Mexican. But I think I may be able to get away with Nati05s suggestion (assign tables and not seats)

I even have a cute idea which FI hates, but becaus eits a small wedding I think we can get away with it. I don't know if yall have ever played loteria with the dichos. For example, instead of saying El diablito, the dealer will call out "Pórtate bien cuatito, si no te lleva el coloradito" and everyone knows what picture she/he is refering to. So instead of table numbers on the name card, Ill have the dicho, and instead of a table number on the table, Ill have the card from the deck corresponding to the dicho.

Its such a small wedding and itll propbably be a short party, so i thought that would be a fun game our guest can play while we're taking pictures at the church. Im sure my younger cousins will find it annoying but I know his parents and mine will be thrilled with it. Both sets of parents are very old school and I swear every other thing out of there mouth is an old mexican saying

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing assigned tables for families, not per seat or per person that way one table isnt half full and others over crowded.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    garzalgarzal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I ABSOLUTELY love the loteria idea!!!!  That's awesome Smile    I'm really also loving the assigned table, not seat suggestion. 
    Pregnancy Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OMG the loteria idea is awesome! 

Nat
  • Options
    MariodoMujerMariodoMujer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Im glad you guys like it!! I guess FI is included in that group of old school mexicans that doesnt get assigned seating. He looked at me like I was crazy when I told him. He also feels that having our guest figure out where their table is with a riddle is a bit ridiculous. I think guest will enjoy the chanllenge and also enjoy that we are trying to incorporate our culture in our wedding.

BTW Nati05, looks like we have the same wedding day...heres to July 21st (clink)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Nati05Nati05 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Oh do we?? I didn't even see it lol! Great! A latina date twin!! ;-) Look forward to planning together!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wasn't planning on assigned seating but now that I think of it, I am opting towards assigning tables like OP's have suggested.
    I went to a wedding before that had no assigned seating and a couple of people got offended when they sat at a table that was meant for the bridal party but wasn't labeled as such. They had to move and find another table before all the seats were taken.
    I do not want any confusion as to where people can or cannot sit.
  • Options
    sharkgrlsharkgrl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    sure, assign em, but don't be suprised if they move around during the night.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    AHHH! I'm facing the same issue. I'm also from Houston (and so are both of our very large families), but I feel I need to assign because my parents both split up after 35 years together, so I want to separate my mom's side and my dad's side. The problem, is, like someone mentioned, I feel wierd assigning some and not others, but then again, we have 300 people that are invited, and as most weddings we go to, countless others that will show up uninvited... :/ I know both of our families are going to have SOME comments regardless of how we do it, but I think for my sanity, and my dad's safety ;)  they should be separated! Totally agree with another poster, though, you can assign them, but they are going to move around anyway!! I jsut want the parents to have their kids at their table!! (which is a whole different can of worms..)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards