Registry and Gift Forum
Options

When to register?

When are you supposed to register?  I haven't decided if I actually WILL register yet, but if I will, when should I do it?  Honestly, I don't even know if I'm having a shower or anything so this might be a non-issue... just curious.

Re: When to register?

• Options
    I think most people register about 6 months out, some do it sooner than that and some do it later. I registered about 8 months out because people wanted to buy us things off our registry for Christmas.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I didn't until the 3 month mark since it was not necesarry to have it any sooner.  It can be done earlier, but I wanted to be sure I waited closer to shower invitations going out to be sure nothing I wanted was discontinued after the holidays.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Whenever is most convenient for you - but I'd say at least a month before your shower (if someone is throwing one for you). We registered about 7 months out because we happened  to be near a store that carried all of the china and crystal and we wanted to see everything in person, but I don't think anyone knew about our registry for another few months.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    we did it really early and registered 13 months out.  I was graduating from law school and received a few things off the registry for graduation (and some very generous gift cards to those stores, which we have saved for after-wedding purchases).  Our got a little action during Christmas, then nothing else until right before my shower.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We registered at about the 7th month mark.  My shower is next Saturday, so that gave a couple of months for guests to look/shop off the registry.  We almost registered before Christmas time, but didn't because we figured there was no need to get gifts and hold on to them that far in advance. Besides our registry will still be active this Christmas, so if anything is left on it, family could always get us something off of it for the holidays.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I just did mine, and I'm 7 mos out. It's so easy to do these days (I was married before, in 1997, and I had to walk around the store with a clipboard and write numbers down LOL). It's basically online window shopping. If you do it, that's one less thing you'll have to do later. And if you don't need it, oh well, no harm done.
  • Options
    I never understood why people register the moment they get engaged. Most of the gifts you get at the shower anyway, so the registry just sits there empty until the shower. It's silly.

As long as you register before your shower it's fine, but I wouldn't register too early. Sometimes the store will discontinue items and if you aren't aware of it, your registry will have a lot of discontinued items on it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We registered before the winter holidays last year, and we are getting married this December. We had a lot of our family asking about registries for engagement gifts, and we also got some registry items for Christmas/Hanukkah last year, as well as housewarming gifts after we moved a couple months ago. The thing that stinks is one of our registries was at Target and some things have been discontinued so we make sure we update it every few weeks in case that happens. I think you can register as early as you like, or at least a month before your shower or before you send out your invites if you aren't having a shower.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards