Interracial Weddings

It's official! FMIL is hosting my shower.

FMIL just let me know she's planning a shower for May 12.  Part of me is happy (I guess she likes me Smile enough to plan one), but part of me is a little very nervous.  I would only know her and FSIL (FI's brother's wife).  That's it.  I don't have any family or friends in this state, so they definitely won't be attending.  I'm just afraid I won't have any fun, or I'll stick out and it'll be incredibly awkward.  And, all of the guests will be much older, as in women in their 50s and up.   

Has anyone else had this issue or one similar?  What happened?

Re: It's official! FMIL is hosting my shower.

• I'm sure it will be okay. You seem so personable and they are coming to support your marriage. It might be a little uncomfortable but I'm sure once the games and stuff get going it will be easier to relax. Maybe you could ask your MIL to start with an icebreaker so you can get familiar with everyone,
  • I saw you post on the June board and you'll do just fine! The fact that she offered is a wonderful gesture and I'm sure you'll have a great time :)

Is there anything special happening that you want to see? I know the one thing I'm looking forward to is the bouquet made out of ribbons for the rehearsal. Maybe toss something out there that is meaningful to you!

Is it going to be near FMIL or your own town? Take lots of pics!
    Vacation White Knot
  • Thanks Tyra and Mel! I do appreciate the gesture of her planning a shower. I've only been to one in my life, and it was a Christian event, so they didn't have any music or games or anything. So I don't really know what to expect. It's gonna be in Springfield, Mel!
  • Oh yay! Nice! Mine's going to be in Fly Creek; not near the same date, but I'll let you know where I'll be.

That's really exciting!
    Vacation White Knot
  • I'm sure it will go well. Enjoy it.
    My blog
    "I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, My soul shall be joyful in my God; For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." -Isaiah 61:10 NKJV
  • Elizabeth80Elizabeth80 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012

Yay!! Glad it all worked out!!

Edit: Went back and reread your post. I haven't experienced this. FIL's are invited to a shower my BP is hosting as well as my family and friends. It sounds like it will be awkard but for a couple of hours and free gifts I would just take it in stride.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I wont' have any family at my shower (or any pre-wedding events except for the RD). BUT I have been with Fi for 13 years and we have 3 kids, lived here for almost 6 years so I know all his family pretty well by now and we all get along.

However, my 1st year here with no family and not knowing many of his family was awkward and hard. We'd been ttc before we moved and then got pregnant soon after moving so at my baby shower of over 60 people, I knew only handful and it was fine.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards