Luxury Weddings

Two Dresses

Anyone getting two wedding dresses? The majority opinions on the other boards say no with reasons ranging from the time worn does not justify the cost, they love their dress too much, etc. I am the most indecisive person so I fell in love with two dresses and got both. I will be wearing one of them for the church and half of the reception, and then changing into my second for the other half of the reception. Does anyone see anything wrong with this? A lot of people seem to be against it and I don't want to come off as a spoiled bride.
"Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."

Re: Two Dresses

• I don't see anything wrong with it. My dress was pretty big and I could have used another one for dancing but I just made it work.
    Good luck! :) Post some pics if you have them.
  • My dress is actually a 2-in-1 so i get 2 dresses with the one I bought.  I'll definitely be wearing the ballgown for the ceremony and depending on the temperature (it's an outdoor wedding) and over all how I'm feeling I'll decide whether I want to go with the shorter dress for the reception.
    . Anniversary aandt image
  • I have two dresses, I think if you want two and its in your budget you should go for it.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I've never been to a wedding where the bride wore two dresses.  I am personally only wearing my one dress because I am totally in love with it.  I think it can seem a little excessive, but it's not unheard of.  You already have the two dresses so just go for it!  I'm sure they are both fabulous and if you are going to be over the top, what better day to do it than your wedding day?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • I am wearing two dresses for cultural reasons. Showing respect to my FI traditional attire.

But to answer your question regarding two dresses being excessive, I think you should not let people's opinions spoil what you want to do. It is reasonable. Kim K wore three dresses now that might be too much....
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • Ok great (: Thanks everyone. I was feeling like the only person that wanted two dresses!
    "Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • I'm late to the game but what the heck :)

I had two dresses for my first wedding, but it was because I changed my mind! I bought a gown and half way through my planning, I decided I didn't like it anymore. So, I bought another one. I eventually sold both, but for awhile, I was a two dress gal! This time around, I will most likely have two. I actually don't even have one yet since I am having mine custom made, but because of having a private dinner several hours after our ceremony, I'll most likely change into something more appropriate for the evening on the beach. I may just have a coat made for the first gown, though.

• I will be wearing 2 dresses! I am having my mother's dress completely altered and changed up, which is what I will wear for the ceremony and the start of the reception (first dance, toasts, etc) but then I didn't want to spend the entire time paranoid that someone is going to ruin it during the dancing so I am going to sneak out and change into my reception dress, which is a tea length lace dress that will be just perfect for dancing the night away :) 
  • edited January 2012
    My daughter is having 2 dresses...the formal long gown for the ceremony and beginning of the reception, and a short white dress for dancing later. My sister did this years ago at her wedding....she wore our mother's long satin wedding dress. It was lovely but not practical for dancing. So she found a funky sequined white dress for the reception. It was very stylish and made a big impression on my daughter! A second dress certainly doesn't have to be another gown, or even white, and it doesn't have to cost as much as a typical wedding dress. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_luxury-weddings_two-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:361381ea-42c9-44e7-b994-d26049874781Discussion:ff339c52-d4d1-4922-a13d-f693254f458fPost:ef57ba47-afc6-4a16-aa02-5dd50b22421a">Re: Two Dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]My daughter is having 2 dresses...the formal long gown for the ceremony and beginning of the reception, and a short white dress for dancing later. My sister did this years ago at her wedding....she wore our mother's long satin wedding dress. It was lovely but not practical for dancing. So she found a funky sequined white dress for the reception. It was very stylish and made a big impression on my daughter! A second dress certainly doesn't have to be another gown, or even white, and it doesn't have to cost as much as a typical wedding dress. 
    Posted by tanyanubin[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with this! The dress I fell in love with for the reception is only $100 lol my theory is if I'm dancing/drinking and someone spills something, then I won't worry about it. Its also tea length, because I didn't want a floor length gown again to have to try to dance with, I wanted to be able to dance and have fun :)
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_luxury-weddings_two-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:361381ea-42c9-44e7-b994-d26049874781Discussion:ff339c52-d4d1-4922-a13d-f693254f458fPost:ef57ba47-afc6-4a16-aa02-5dd50b22421a">Re: Two Dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]My daughter is having 2 dresses...the formal long gown for the ceremony and beginning of the reception, and a short white dress for dancing later. My sister did this years ago at her wedding....she wore our mother's long satin wedding dress. It was lovely but not practical for dancing. So she found a funky sequined white dress for the reception. It was very stylish and made a big impression on my daughter! A second dress certainly doesn't have to be another gown, or even white, and it doesn't have to cost as much as a typical wedding dress. 
    Posted by tanyanubin[/QUOTE]

After further thought, I think I'm going to do this option. I originally thought about having a coat made to match my gown, but now I think I'll probably end up in the water in my gown!  I'm having a REALLY hard time deciding what kind of dress I want, though. In particular, do I stick with ivory or go with a color. If it's color, what would be best for an evening on the beach? Beyond that, long or short? Too much to think about! LOL

• edited January 2012
    I think I am going to have 2. I'm still debating, but I'm really leaning towards having a 2nd dress. I'd change into it for the later part our reception/the after party. Also, we're doing a day after photo shoot and I love some of the photos I've seen in of couples in the ocean and getting really creative. I don't want to ruin my first dress under any circumstances, so it makes sense to get something that's more inexpensive that I won't feel so bad about playing around with. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm only wearing one dress, but we're having an after party at one of the restaurants my fiance's family owns, so I'm wearing a short white dress for that.
  • I will also being wearing two!  One for ceremony through dinner/first dances and then around 9 or so I will change into my second. If it's in budget and you love them, I say go for it :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I got two dresses but the second one is a short JOP type dress (tea length) that I will be wearing for wedding related events like the shower and rehersal dinner.

Do what you want though its your money!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker "A wedding is a day, a marriage is a lifetime"
  • No I don`t see anything wrong with it at all. It`s your wedding and if that what you want then do it! You only get married once. At least that`s what society says. I plan to do the same.
  • I'm planning to wear 2. Do what you want!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards