Registry and Gift Forum

What time frame is acceptable to register?

Okay, so my fiance is SUPER excited to start picking things out for our house Our wedding date is 10/15/2011. He wants to start registering like tonight so family/friends can buy stuff off the registry for Christmas and then of course for the wedding showers. We both are starting off with absolutely nothing, basically a bed and couch. Would it be inappropriate to start registering this early because we do need so much stuff?

Re: What time frame is acceptable to register?

• It's not inappropriate to register, although you should never tell people about your registry unless they ask and chances are they won't be asking this early.  You also need to be careful because things tend to get discontinued.  You don't want to get 2 place settings of china for Christmas, and then have the pattern be discontinued before your shower.
    Married 10/2/10
  • If you are itching to register, definitely choose things that have probability of not being discontinued.. pots/pans, appliances, etc.  Many things we registered for (4 mos out from our wedding) already have "limited availablitly" and some may be discontinued by time the wedding comes around.  Also, be careful to not register for "seasonal items"   GL!
  • I don't think that I would look at a wedding registry for Christmas gifts.  My mom has a rule that you don't buy a couples gift for a couple until the shower/wedding, just in case.  I guess it's rubbed off on me.  YIKES scary thought. 

Anyhow, if you do register take the advice about things that could be discontinued.  I'm at less than 4 months to go and only my mom has asked me about where I'm registered.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah- We're kinda crazy, we want stuff for Christmas. We know our people well enough to know that they aren't going to spend $200 on a shower gift. Thats more like part of a Christmas present and probably would justify buying it for Christmas rather than the showers.

Thanks for the advice.

• You could start a wedding registry now and only add a few things that you would want for christmas (essentials that you need now) and then add other things as you get closer to your shower date.  That way you may get some of the registry incentive bonuses but don't have to worry about a lot of discontinued items.  Ultimately it depends on your family though.  My family likes christmas (and bday) wish lists so that they can get you things you really want while FI's family doesn't.  I'm getting married this October, so I figure our registry can also be my bday (november) and xmas wish lists this year.
    October 2010 September SC - 1st Anniversary Plans:
    Trip to Prague & bring home furbaby when we get back
    imageimage
    ~ Karen ~
    **Wedding/House/Travel Bio **
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards