Outdoor Weddings

Ceremony/Reception around 11am?

I was planning on having the ceremony start around 11 or 1130. This works out well for a number of reasons, but I am concerned about the heat/sun. The wedding is August 21. The ceremony isn't covered, but the reception would be. I'm not so worried about the reception, with fans and drinks and a tent, but I am worried about the ceremony. I mean, it should be under a half hour, and we don't have any really elderly coming. What do you all think?

Re: Ceremony/Reception around 11am?

• Mrs.B6302007Mrs.B6302007 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2009
    Ours was outside in FL in June so I know what you mean about the heat.  Our ceremony was not until 6 pm and was 20 minutes in length.  We had buckets of water bottles on site and bought paper fans from USToy (similar to Oriental Trading). Since the ceremony and reception were on the same property, we opened the reception hall prior to the ceremony so any early arrivers could wait in the AC.  The pastor stepped inside at 2 minutes until 6 and invited everyone to join him by the gazebo.  We also made sure our guests knew ahead of time that the ceremony would be outside so they could dress accordingly. Our reception was indoors immediately following so that guests could go back into the AC and start having cocktails while we did pictures. 

As a guest, I've been to a 3 pm indoor wedding with a 5:00 outdoor reception in June in FL and it was BRUTAL, despite the fans and tent and cold water. No one wanted to dance because it was too stinking hot and sticky.  Honestly, I would seriously consider an outdoor ceremony and indoor reception (or both indoors) - the reception is a TY for your guests and you want them to be as comfortable as possible.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• ExpatPumpkinExpatPumpkin member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2009
    Please don't sacrifice your guests' comfort to your vision...  I went to an outdoor wedding on a beach in October and nearly melted.  And that ceremony was at 7PM.  Either provide shade - a tent at the least - or do it inside.  And don't forget the chairs.

Oh, and no to the outdoor reception at midday...  It will probably be too hot.  And besides your guests' comfort, do you really want to have your makeup melting off your face on your wedding day?  I've never understood how that scenario could be any bride's idea of a beautiful day...

Good luck ;)
  • We're having our ceremony outdoors at 5:30pm and giving our guests bottled water and program fans. We plan on having a 15-20 minute ceremony and then having our reception at the same venue but indoors. I don't want my guests to be miserable with an all outdoor wedding esp. in June. I would suggest looking into an indoor reception area.
  • First, an outdoor ceremony in Ohio will not be as bad as one in the south. Second, if you do it at 11, that should be before the peak heat which normally isn't until 1. Just make sure your invites clearly state the ceremony will take place outdoors, have enough water on hand for those who need it, and perhaps have some umbrellas for guests to use for shade should any need them. I think it'll be fine.
  • First, an outdoor ceremony in Ohio will not be as bad as one in the south

You never know.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Just another idea, we are having our ceremony at 10am, we moved it a little earlier for two reasons.  To avoid the heat since we are having an outdoor ceremony that is 30 minutes and because we love breakfast food.  Plus, saved us a ton of money on the food and the tastings have been a blast coming up with fun passed apps and food for the reception.
  • Our officiant suggested that we place buckets with bottles of water at the entrance of our ceremony site, so that our guests can have one incase it is really warm out.
    Our ceremony is set for noon, we are doing it at the end of April, but that doesnt mean that it will be cool by any means.

If the ceremony is short, like 20 minutes or so, then I think the guests can hold together for that time. I would look into doing the reception inside so that they are not outside for the entire wedding.

Good luck!
  • I went to an outdoor wedding in August of last year.  The ceremony was at 4 or 5 pm.  It was MISERABLE.  Granted, it's really humid where I live.  There were bottles of water when we came in, but the ice in the buckets was melting so I just got soaked by my water bottle and felt more gross.  The reception followed outside in a more shaded area.  It got cooler in the evening and wasn't bad.  But man.  My fiance was a groomsman and he had to be in a full tux; at least I was wearing a little dress!  (Have you thought about WP attire?  Are groomsmen wearing tuxes?  'Cause they will hate you for it if it's hot!)
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
    I keep you with me in my heart, you make it easier when life gets hard.
  • Thanks for all your ideas. I'm still on the fence :/ The groomsmen aren't wearing full tuxes, just khakis and navy blazers. The ceremony will definitely be less than 20 minutes, closer to 15. And the reception would be very well shaded, with a main tent, a gazebo, and a pavillion. There's a nice pool nearby the reception area.. maybe I should tell them to bring suits so they can take a dip when it's all over! I'm definitely handing out bottles of water and probably even sunscreen just to be safe. Hm. Lots to think about. I'm definitely still open to suggestions.. but I need to make decisions soon! ah!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards