Just Engaged and Proposals

how did you meet & fall in loooove

i'm just curious to hear how everyone met their bf/fi/h. :)

my story..

he is 5 years older than i am, and went to school for hospitality and business mgmt and was the manager of this new place i was working at. i remember the first time i saw him i thought he was so cute and had this little "hmmm" moment..but didnt think much because there was a strict rule against managers and employees dating.
so anyways..we became inseperable at work, flirting way beyond the line, and i had the biggest crush imagineable on him.

eventually ty, my bf, crossed that line i guess and text me and told me he really wanted to hang out..and didnt care if it cost him his job. (even though this was a restaurant mgmt job, it actually paid really well and he was salaried). and well even though i summarized this a lot..that is basically how we met and came to be. we literally were inseperable after the first time we hung out after work. i knew i wanted to be with him the rest of my life because i was literally at work with him everyday and hung out with him every night without ever growing bored or sick of being around him.

oh and just a fun fact..we had to keep our relationship a secret from everyone except our parents and close friends because of him risking his job. we were together for about 6 months until i finally quit and we "came out" i guess.
5/27/12

Re: how did you meet & fall in loooove

• We met just over a year ago when I went to a fake St. Patty's Day celebration in Manhattan, KS with some old college roomates. I walked in the bar spot my bf/fi and told the girls I called dibs on him. About an hour later after terrible attempts at flirtting I gave him my number. (i've never given my number to any other man) He texted later that night and my phone was dead. We kept in touch and the next time I was visiting those friends we found an excuse to get together. We saw eachother nearly every other weekend after that and he moved to St. Louis last September and I moved in, in January... Our relationship has been the most complicated one I have ever been in, but has been the easiest one too. I think that is how I knew he was the one! We will be getting married in September of 2012 and are currently planning with out a ring :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That's a cute story! Work is a great place to meet people. :-) How long have you been together now?

I met my FI online actually lol. We were both kind of unlucky in love and we had both had our hearts broken and so the online thing was like the last resort for both of us lol. Well he sent me a message and I looked at his profile and I thought he was very cute and funny so I answered him back, and right away he answered me. We clicked (no pun intended) right away. But theres a twist to this story. After he wrote me for the second time I didn't answer him for a MONTH. I know, you're probably thinking I was a bitch, but I didn't mean to. I just keep putting things off that I mean to do and then I'll remember and be like "Oh sh*t I frogot to do that" Story of my life lol. We were also both going through really rough times in our lives, so now that I look back on it I think that there was a reason that we started going out when we did! (Jan. 2010, anout 3 months after he originally messagedd me!) I'm just so thankful he didn't give up on me or find someone else while I was procrastinating.

After that everything happened very fast. We met and instantly fell in love. By the third date, we had said our "I love you"s to eachother (he said it first) and about a month later he proposed! Crazy right?? Now it is a little more than a year later and we are getting married in July, a year and a half after we first went out!Wink
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • We met in August 2008 in a counseling master's program. We started talking online every day and studying together, and he knew I liked him (which he loooves to bring up), but he didn't want a relationship a that time. Because of that, I mvoed on and dated other guys through most of 2009, but around Halloween, we finally hooked up. We had some ups and downs from then until Valentine's Day 2010, when he knew he wanted to be with me, though we didn't put labels on it and kept it mostly secret. I wanted a relationship, but he was worried about things ending because we would likely part ways after graduating. On May 1, we went to a wedding together and things just felt right. We officialized our relationship, and almost a year later, we are looking at rings.
  • I also met my bf online! We chatted for about 2 months online and then I gave him my #, we talked for an additional 2 months on the phone and then finally met in person. It was awkward at first because neither of us had met anyone online before. As the date progressed the conversation sped up and everything just seemed to click. After we had been seeing each other for a month he asked me to officially be his gf (too cute!) and I said yes! After about a month he told me he loved me but I wasn't ready to say it back (bad previous relationship caused me to be overly cautious). He was patient and kind and allowed me the time I needed to make sure my feelings (and his) were real. On our 3 month anniversary I finally told him I loved him and it felt great! After dating for a year I moved in with him and we have now been together for 3 years.
  • Our parents have been friends since high school.  I used to work with his sister and our brothers played high school sports together, but we had never met.  Our parents were going to a trivia night fundraiser and their table was 2 people short.  At the last minute FI and I both decided to go and that's where we met.  A week later he finally asked me out and 2 years later we're planning our wedding.  Our parents are thrilled!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_did-meet-fall-loooove?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:7819bec7-b4a7-4589-8023-1fe1bd8e9662Post:bb12c30a-98cf-4073-a17d-3dd78e7f7eed">Re: how did you meet & fall in loooove</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's a cute story! Work is a great place to meet people. :-) How long have you been together now?
    Posted by theluckiest555[/QUOTE]

thanks! so is yours :) we've been together for 1.5 years..not super long.

i think all of the stories of people meeting online are really interesting!  bf actually tried an online dating site before we met with his then roommate..he didn't have any luck but his roommate met a few great girls!
    5/27/12
  • We met on match.com and dated for two years before he proposed in the gazebo in the town where we had our first date.  We just celebrated 3 years of marriage. 
  • I love hearing other peoples stories :)

He was living in NY I live in GA. We had a mutual friend and started facebooking and texting and calling each other annnnnd he drove down from NY to stay with me. Looking back it was pretty intense. lol He drove down here a few more times for the next couple months, and I flew to NY a couple times and finally he moved down here and moved in with me after 3-4 months. We have been dating for 2 years now we've been engaged for 3ish weeks. I think I knew I loved him the first weekend we spent together, we already knew so much about each other. 
    PersonalMilestone
  • He was my brother's friend and dorm-mate. He piqued my interest the first time I ever saw him (2006), and I always looked forward to when we'd happen to be at social gatherings together, though we hardly ever talked (FI is super introverted).

In 2009, he moved in with my brother and SIL (they had two roommates their first year of marriage since they were both still in school). During that time, I got to really know FI. He asked me out in October. We got engaged in August 2010. And we're getting married October 2011, three days shy of our two year anniversary.

Untitled Untitled
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers image TTC#1 since July 2012
  • We don't actually remember how we met initially. It was at the end of high school, at some point, and probably through some mutual friends (his brothers wife? maybe?). I always kinda had a thing for him, but it wasn't until a party almost a year after we initially met that I really got to know him. Less than a month later, we were a couple.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • My man and I met over 6 years ago at the laundromat/drycleaners of all places.  I was a young, single mom working hard to make ends meet and he was in the laundromat washing a comforter.  I saw him from across the room when I was just finishing my shift.  He smiled at me, but I was too nervous to go talk to him.  I left and went home, kicking myself that I didn't approach him.  So, I called my coworker and begged her to go out to the laundromat and give him my name and number.  Eventually she did after calling me "crazy" and refusing to do it.  He called me the next night and we've been together ever since! :)

He proposed 3 days before Valentine's day of this year and we are getting married December 10, 2011.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We went to school together and then a professor matched us up to a business competition together. For 3 weeks we were almost inseparable and spent many hours in a coffee shop working on the competition. Through this time he was in a long term relationship and he was not happy at all- he felt trapped. He now says that the more time we were together in the coffee shop working on the competition, he realised that he could be happy in a relationship again. We didn't win the competition, but we became very close.
    2 months later the same professor matched us up for another comp, (what can I say, we are big deals like that, haha) Before we left for it, he broke up with his girlfriend and 2 nights later we won. We have been together ever since. Our prof said we were his greatest project and still takes credit for us.
    Our prof will be coming to the wedding. I cannot wait to hear that speech. 

The night we won... is that not a look of love!? haha

Anniversary
  • We were setup by a lady at a staffing agency where I did some temp work, her cousin was friends with the wife of a friend of my now-fiance.  The lady at the staffing agency met my fiance at a party that these people were at and invited me to the next party and said I had to meet him.  He and I exchanged numbers and AOL screen names (we've been together for almost eight years so we were still using AOL at the time haha) and I didn't expect anything to come out of it, but I guess it did!
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_did-meet-fall-loooove?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:7819bec7-b4a7-4589-8023-1fe1bd8e9662Post:6efa1a2a-d0a7-40df-9a4a-ef69fbcafe87">Re: how did you meet & fall in loooove</a>:
    [QUOTE]We went to school together and then a professor matched us up to a business competition together. For 3 weeks we were almost inseparable and spent many hours in a coffee shop working on the competition. Through this time he was in a long term relationship and he was not happy at all- he felt trapped. He now says that the more time we were together in the coffee shop working on the competition, he realised that he could be happy in a relationship again. We didn't win the competition, but we became very close. 2 months later the same professor matched us up for another comp, (what can I say, we are big deals like that, haha) Before we left for it, he broke up with his girlfriend and 2 nights later we won. We have been together ever since. <strong>Our prof said we were his greatest project and still takes credit for us</strong>. Our prof will be coming to the wedding. I cannot wait to hear that speech.  The night we won... is that not a look of love!? haha
    Posted by asialee2[/QUOTE]

haha that is cute!
    5/27/12
  • mandi921vhmandi921vh member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2011
    We met in college. 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We met my freshman year of college.  He was a 5th year senior.  I knew the first time we talked that it was it, but it took us about 6 months to get there because a mutual friend "had dibs" on him.  The night we did get together, we took a friend to the hospital for alcohol poisoning (the kid is 95 pounds soaking wet and drank a bottle of tequila by himself...*facepalm*).  We decided to make it official in the waiting room, and had our first kiss a few hours later when we woke up to go pick up the friend from the hospital.  It's definitely going to be a story for the kids!!
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_did-meet-fall-loooove?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:7819bec7-b4a7-4589-8023-1fe1bd8e9662Post:1fe40dee-9cf9-49c7-ba4b-201904162729">Re: how did you meet & fall in loooove</a>:
    [QUOTE]My man and I met over 6 years ago at the laundromat/drycleaners of all places.  I was a young, single mom working hard to make ends meet and he was in the laundromat washing a comforter.  I saw him from across the room when I was just finishing my shift.  He smiled at me, but I was too nervous to go talk to him.  I left and went home, kicking myself that I didn't approach him.  So, I called my coworker and begged her to go out to the laundromat and give him my name and number.  Eventually she did after calling me "crazy" and refusing to do it.  He called me the next night and we've been together ever since! :) He proposed 3 days before Valentine's day of this year and we are getting married December 10, 2011.
    Posted by mattsgirl2004[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen you on the December 2011 page, you should check it out!  I'm getting married to my FI on December 3, 2011 and we have been together for 8 years!  You should stop by, it's a great community!
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers BFP #1 12/12/11 - Missed M/C 1/9/12 ~ BFP #2 4/5/2012
  • I met my H at work. At the time, he was my newly-promoted manager, and I was a newbie at the store (we both worked in retail). At the time I started there, I was in a relationship, albeit a very unhappy one, and he wasn't looking to get involved with anyone. We started hanging out with other people from work and grew pretty close, so when things started going even further south with my then-BF, he was there as my support, and always willing to lend an ear and give advice on how to make the relationship better. 

After I finally broke up with the guy I was dating, we hung out even more (our relationship ended because of domestic abuse, and H was my "protector," so to speak, because my ex was stalking me). We were together all the time, hanging out with other work friends and grabbing quick drinks after work.

Finally, on New Year's Eve, 2004, we were both at a party that one of our work friends was throwing, and when the ball dropped, we both went to kiss each other on the cheek...but we both turned our heads. The rest, as they say, is history. We've been inseparable ever since. We got engaged on January 19th, 2010, and we were married on March 19th of this year. He is my world and I can't imagine my life without him. We are truly perfect for each other, and I am so so lucky to have him as my husband!
    Wuppikins loves you!

"Hater-ade is full of disrespectrolytes" - Mehg
  • We will be together seven years when we get married this September. We met ay 16 through mutual friends.
    Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited April 2011
    We met in Austin, on New Year's Eve at work. I was a flight attendant, he was a brand new pilot(his first day.)He wasn't supposed to be on my trip, but due to a series of bizarre circumstances involving a downed power line he was reassigned. The rest of our crew had other plans, so we spent the evening together talking and drinking champagne. 
    I fell in love with him a little that night, when he touched my hand. We spent the next few nights of the trip together, talking. And when we went our separate ways at the end of the trip I felt so very sad, like I was losing someone precious. We happened to be in the same city two weeks later, and met again. And then we ran into each other in a different city a week later, and had drinks and when we were supposed to get on our flights home, we didn't. 
    At first, we didn't think the other was our 'type', but be had such incredible chemistry and we were so compatible.
    We were both in other relationships at the time, so we were both very conflicted about our feelings for each other, and it took us a year of being madly in love with each other to make the decision to build a life together in the city where he lives. We should have just 'gone for it' as soon as we knew how we felt about each other.
    We've been together several years now, and have a lovely life with our dog. We cook together, hike, snowboard. We're still just as in love and we're getting married next year in March (if we can wait that long) and we plan to start having babies shortly after.

• makokoliosmakokolios member
    First Comment
    edited April 2011
    I met my fiance the same way as you, kmabjo! 16 years old and at a theme park with mutual friends :) A scary monster popped out at us and we jumped into each other's arms, and the rest is history! By the time we get married, we will have been together for 8 wonderful years.
    PersonalMilestone Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I met FI at a bar.  His pick-up line was "you're short".  We talked for like 3 hours in the bar, including us joking that we'd get married in 3 years...he even put it as an appointment in his phone as "marry that one girl from that one bar".  We'll be getting married 2 weeks shy of our 3rd anniversary :-D 
    Anniversary
  • We met about 9 1/2 years ago.

My fiance was sixteen, I was nineteen (I didn't know he was younger than me until much later!)..

We met at a Starbucks job interview. He sat across from me, I though he was very good looking and he actually felt the same about me. Summer time job romance turned into real love over all those specialty coffees we made...

We finished school, had the adventure of a lifetime camping and driving across Canada, seeing our country... Then christmas eve 2010 he asked me to spend the rest of my life with him.. We are getting married for our 10 year anniversary.

Happy planning everyone!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards