Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

Greek wedding

Has anyone been to, stood in, or had a Greek wedding ceremony?

Mine is May 1st. I'm Catholic (same belief system as Roman Catholic) but vastly different wedding ceremony.

I feel very strongly about saying/hearing the "I Do" part of the Roman Catholic ceremony that is NOT a part of the Greek ceremony.

Any suggestions as to how I can still say/hear my "I do's" of the Greek priest won't let me do is as part of that ceremony?

Thanks for ur input & suggestions

Re: Greek wedding

• Options
    Smaddie9Smaddie9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm Greek and I know this could be a bit frustrating. The best thing to do is sit down and talk to the priest. Some can be persuaded to do vows at the end of the ceremony and by persuaded I mean give another "donation" if this doesn't work you can maybe perform vows to each other at your reception. If you are catholic perhaps a priest could come and do it or maybe discuss a dual ceremony with him just so you can say vows. Vie been to a Greek wedding where the priest allowed them to say vows. But thats here in NY they are a little more easy going here. Hope this helped
    Old people have a tendency at weddings to come up to you and say "ohhh when is your turn??" at funerals I find that same old person and ask them that very question .....
  • Options
    lbmsrlotrlbmsrlotr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for your help...I really appreciate it!

Just had a mtg with the Greek priest yesterday.
    He was sympathetic to my desire to say vows so that my blind (non-Greek) grandmother could at least "hear" me get married, but declined to allow it as part of the Greek wedding ceremony. He had a valid justificaion that I completely respect & accept.

But, I'm still hell-bent on saying vows. So, my "Plan B" is to do them at the start of the reception.
    However, I'm worried that my guests will be confused & think it strange that they will have to sit through, in essence, a second wedding for a couple that were just married.

Let me know your thoughts.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards