Second Weddings

Mixed feelings

I have been married for 41 days, so I thought. My wedding was planned and ran by everyone but my Fiancee and I, we wanted something small, they wanted something flashy. Due to everyone not letting me do anythign the day of our wedding, the witnesses never signed so my marriage isnt legal yet,OMG. At first I was like this is not happening, we have to get married again!!!! Ya know why me?! But then a light bulb went off and I realized GOD has a given a 2nd chance to have the wedding we wanted, not that our 1st wedding was bad, it was beautiful and we had a ball, but it wasnt what we wanted. Im not telling my family. My mom gave me away the first time so she cant be mad at me for not including her in this, besides this is our second chance to do it again, and we wont mess up this chance for anything, I dont think Im wrong for that,Eventually they will find out but that will be after the second wedding,lol
I'm getting married again!!!!! What a lucky break,lol!!!

Re: Mixed feelings

• Can the witnesses not sign the license now?  Was it sent off already or is it still in someone's possession? 

You'd like to redo something you way, just 41 days after your big flashy wedding?  What kind of thing are you thinking?  Then get two new witnesses?

I guess I am confused.
  • lol, yes a little, well first it wasnt a big flashy wedding,and it was small either the point is it wasnt waht we wanted, but like i said im not ungrateful. But no once the registration is in to the city clerk, no it cant be changed in the state of New York, so the City Clerk says we have to be remarried. So God is giving us second chance, it is something that has to happen if we want to be married so that is what we are going to doKiss
    I'm getting married again!!!!! What a lucky break,lol!!!
  • This makes me very happy no witnesses were required to sign documentation where I married ... not in either jurisdiction. 

I actually thought the whole witnesses are required to sign the license thing was an old wive's tale, like flower girls and ring bearers (I've only seen those in the movies, on TV and in magazines).  Huh.  I learn something new everyday.

OP, I agree with Retread ... just go to the courthouse (Monday) and get this wrapped up.

• So you are going to wait even longer to be married so yawn re-plan the whole thing? I don't get it. What did you in mind for your second wedding? BTW, this board is generally for brides marrying a DIFFERENT person the second time around due to death or divorce, not brides who just want a do-over. You're welcome to post here of course, just realize where most of us are coming from....
    DSC_9275
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_mixed-feelings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:3e783d80-e152-43db-9778-b20b0af0cd96Post:500f3b51-d834-433e-8eb6-9f6f6c1d1518">Re: Mixed feelings</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Witnesses to weddings are required in some states for the same reason as wills.  It's a legal contract</strong>.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

Umm, yeah ... I am <u>fully</u> aware marriage is a legal contract (that's why we do it!) and, as such, a witness is required.  In both the District of Columbia (my first wedding) and Maryland (my second wedding), the officiant <u>is</u> the witness.  No additional witnesses are required.  In my experience, bridal parties are simply window dressing.  As I said, I learned something new.

Anyhoo, OP, don't worry about this nonsense.  Get thee to the courthouse.  I think <u>that</u> is what GOD is telling you.
  • I had the same experience in Florida that Lisa did; no witnesses are required.  And in Colorado, you don't even need an officiant.  When I did research about this, more and more states are doing away with witnesses being required, that is going the way of the blood test.  (And for those who are uninformed, the blood test was a test for syphilis--people who marry are not those at risk for syphilis, therefore it is considered an unnecessary test, because those who most frequently have syphilis are not those getting married. ) 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards