October 2013 Weddings

BM Dresses

So I went to look at BM dresses with 2 of my girls on Saturday (the other 2 live out of town).  One of my BM is pregnant so she didn't try any one but the other did.  She fell in love with a chiffon dress that looked great on her.  It is a short dress which I wasn't sure I originally wanted but it did look amazing on her.  I am letting the girls pick out whatever dress they like as long as it is the same fabric and color.  Has anyone been to a wedding or seen pictures where the dresses are different lengths?  A couple of my BM want longer dresses while the others want short.  Do you think this might look weird? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker image

148 Invited
image 125 Are ready to party
image 23 Are no fun!
image 0 Haven't found the mailbox yet

Re: BM Dresses

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_bm-dresses-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:031a3557-94da-4159-9f8c-03170afe751dPost:c22e81c3-649d-4b7c-9a1b-da4235a03240">BM Dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I went to look at BM dresses with 2 of my girls on Saturday (the other 2 live out of town).  One of my BM is pregnant so she didn't try any one but the other did.  She fell in love with a chiffon dress that looked great on her.  It is a short dress which I wasn't sure I originally wanted but it did look amazing on her.  I am letting the girls pick out whatever dress they like as long as it is the same fabric and color.  Has anyone been to a wedding or seen pictures where the dresses are different lengths?  A couple of my BM want longer dresses while the others want short.  Do you think this might look weird? 
    Posted by millersox2184[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I have seen where it is same length, same color and same fabric. I really like it, and wanted to do it myself. But both FI amd mom didn't like that. So no to that...</div><div>
    </div><div>I like the idea tho, and you should go for it! The girls will like it and it makes it easier for the OOT girls to pick what they like. </div>
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I chose the color, fabric, and length of the dresses, but my girls all picked different dress styles.

Personally I think it would look weird with different lengths- but look for pictures on here and pinterest and see what ya think :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited January 2013
    I agree with tori, the different lengths might be a little weird. Can you find a longer dress that's still short? Like, maybe tea length instead of cocktail length?

I'm letting my girls pick out their dresses similarly. As long as they're grey & short, they can get whatever dress they want. :)
  • Personally, that would kill my OCD with all sorts of varying lengths.  But...it's not my wedding, it's yours, and if you like it and your girls are happy, go for it! Happy Bridemaids are a wonderful thing. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_bm-dresses-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:031a3557-94da-4159-9f8c-03170afe751dPost:f2c1801b-08bf-424f-bea0-adcdd9245370">Re: BM Dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to BM Dresses : I have seen where it is same length, same color and same fabric. I really like it, and wanted to do it myself. But both FI amd mom didn't like that. So no to that... I like the idea tho, and you should go for it! The girls will like it and it makes it easier for the OOT girls to pick what they like. 
    Posted by EmilyTork[/QUOTE]

<div>It makes me sad that you wanted something and then they shot it down. I'm not sure FI has even seen the dresses we chose - it's not a secret or anything, but he just doesn't really care.  </div><div>
    </div><div>As to the OP - A friend recently pinned this on pinterest, and I LOVE it:</div><div>
    </div><div><a href="http://www.stylemepretty.com/gallery/subject/bridesmaids/picture/549972" rel="nofollow">http://www.stylemepretty.com/gallery/subject/bridesmaids/picture/549972</a></div><div>
    </div><div>It shows same color (purple), but varying shades, and varying lengths (as well as varying fabrics)</div><div>
    </div><div>Done well, it can be very attractive. Done badly, it can be, well, bad. Consider body types, personal styles, and hair/skin color to see if there is a nice combination of styles and lengths and colors.</div>
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_bm-dresses-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:031a3557-94da-4159-9f8c-03170afe751dPost:91ab0a69-2814-4b9a-acf3-d0d23366c6d7">Re: BM Dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: BM Dresses : It makes me sad that you wanted something and then they shot it down. 
    Posted by SewInLoveWithDMB[/QUOTE]

<div>I know :( All my BM are SO SO different in body types, so I thought this would make them more comfortable. I plan on going to DB, so I was going to give them the color, and length. I have a feeling they would all pick something similar anyways. But my mom is a bit matchy-matchy, and my FI is over-the-top traditional in some ways (but he is ok with his dad marrying us? WTF) I'm just learning to pick my battles with people. My mom has already started to help my MOH plan the Bach party, and I told them no strippers by any means. Mom was disappointed, but I'd rather win that battle than the dresses. </div>
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • SewinLove -  I love that picture and it does make me feel a little bit better about possibly having varying lengths with the dresses.  I am not a confrontational person and while I did want everyone in the same length, I also want everyone to be happy and comfortable.  I am not a bridezilla by any means so it hard for me to tell people no to something when I know they won't be comfortable.  All my BM are VERY different and some feel better in a certain length while others don't.  It's so hard!  Luckily, most of BM are very easy going and aren't demanding at all and see it as my day and want to do what makes me happy so hopefully this will all work itself out!

148 Invited
    image 23 Are no fun!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_bm-dresses-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:031a3557-94da-4159-9f8c-03170afe751dPost:6ee7d6a1-e7c3-4de4-af8a-19c58c2f1e70">Re: BM Dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: BM Dresses : I know :( All my BM are SO SO different in body types, so I thought this would make them more comfortable. I plan on going to DB, so I was going to give them the color, and length. I have a feeling they would all pick something similar anyways. But my mom is a bit matchy-matchy, and my FI is over-the-top traditional in some ways (but he is ok with his dad marrying us? WTF) I'm just learning to pick my battles with people. My mom has already started to help my MOH plan the Bach party, and I told them no strippers by any means. Mom was disappointed, but I'd rather win that battle than the dresses. 
    Posted by EmilyTork[/QUOTE]

<div>Ahhh! Your mom wanted strippers!? Good luck with that!! </div><div>
    </div><div>It just sucks - but I can understand. Maybe when you look, you can find something that can differ slightly from person to person, but is still "the same" (like, addition of straps, or something. I dunno)</div><div>
    </div><div>No strippers! Even the thought of strippers makes me uncomfortable!</div>
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• I'm giving my ladies free reign on length and style -  I went to DB, found the perfect color, and told them as long as they get the same color, that's all I care about! They need to be comfortable and take the dress home, so I'm relenting control in that area! I already know one is getting long and one is getting short! We'll see what the other two end up with! 
    cassandra + justin. Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_bm-dresses-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:031a3557-94da-4159-9f8c-03170afe751dPost:b8937705-f105-441b-8993-0d50868f117b">Re: BM Dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm giving my ladies free reign on length and style -  I went to DB, found the perfect color, and told them as long as they get the same color, that's all I care about! They need to be comfortable and take the dress home, so I'm relenting control in that area! I already know one is getting long and one is getting short! We'll see what the other two end up with! 
    Posted by CassietBella[/QUOTE]

That makes me feel so much better!  The way I look at it is they are the ones paying for the dress and they are the ones who have to wear it all night long and then take it home.  I want it to be a dress that they are happy with and don't feel like they spent all that money on something they hate.  I am going to let go and let the girls buy whatever dress they feel the best in.  Thanks so much!!

148 Invited
    image 23 Are no fun!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards