Texas-San Antonio
Options

**FJL10**

i am still looking for a catholic church that doesn't charge more than $650 to get married in and saw you found one for $500.  i was wondering if you could tell me what church you are using??

Re: **FJL10**

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am using St. Joseph's downtown church, but I booked earlier on in the year. Another knottie pointed out that they now charge over $500 :( Other than the price, is there anything else specific you're looking for in a church?
  • Options
    jdv7700jdv7700 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    honestly no....i would really prefer a church downtown or at least close to downtown...but its really the price....i just cant seem to pay $1000 or more for an 1.5 ceremony.  it seems like so much and its a church, its supposed to be the foundation and its just soooo much money for only 1.5....its making me lean toward a non-catholic church wedding.  but yes i called st. josephs and they are now at $850 plus the priest's "gift" and then the organist.  i think finding something close to downtown will be out of the question for less than $1000 total.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The price for the church really just shocks me! When I went to St. Joseph's, it was back in May and there's a new priest in charge-so hopefully I won't encounter any extraneous fees. I had originally wanted San Fernando because I have ties there, but not $900 worth so I totally understand what you're saying. Mission Concepcion isn't really downtown, but it's close and I hear it's a reasonable price. Have you decided on a venue? If you've given up on a catholic church wedding, a really scenic place to have a wedding is at the Southwest School of Arts and Crafts. They have a small chapel and a beautiful area for your reception....
  • Options
    jdv7700jdv7700 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks so much for your help.....today my mom & i went down to the church and it was BREATH TAKING!!! seeing it in person and all its beauty just made our decision right then and there even if its $850.  i am going to call monday and see if they have any openings in june for the church because i want it so bad and willing to pay that much for it!!! it is amazing and i really hope they have a june date available.  i think its $850 for the church, then a priest "donation" and i am hoping old college friends can do the music so i do not have to pay extra....but either way im willing to pay for it once i saw it in person!!! thanks so much for all your help!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Anytime :) It is a really beautiful church. I hope they have your date! Good luck!

• Options
    jdv7700jdv7700 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    one more question....i called today to ask about a date, they said i have to speak to the priest about that so i am just waiting for his call

my question is do you have to meet with the priest first before he gives you a date to get married or can you ask him about a specific date? it seemed as if he had to decide or approve?? im hoping he will get back to me soon so we can discuss dates available but does st. joseph's make you take classes? pre-cana? a retreat? anything specific??
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    When I had called to book a date, I made arrangements with the receptionist. I'm not sure that's her given title, but she was someone that was running the parish office-and I'm pretty sure she's still there. At the moment, I cannot recall her name. I called to see if the date was available, she checked the church calendar and said it was, so I went in the same day to leave a deposit.

As soon as you book, she gives you a fact sheet basically stating everything you need to stay on top of in order to meet the requirements to get married there. You're going to need a letter from your parish, giving you permission to marry outside of your community church. You will also need to register for an engaged encounter, and that's with the Oblate Renewal Center-and you're going to want to call ASAP because those retreats fill up super fast. I called last May and the next available was this past October...so you don't want to put that off. And of course, just documentation of your sacrements.

That's all I can think of at the moment but if you have any more questions once they get in touch with you, let me know!

• Options
    jdv7700jdv7700 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    so i think the new priest is making a LOT of changes now at st. josephs....so far i have had to register at my own parish, get my letter of permission, then i called back to st. josephs only for him to tell me now to call st. francis and have them begin my marriage prep....once i start my marriage prep then i call st. josephs back and he will talk to me more about dates and the actual wedding....this is super stressful!!!! we haven't even talked if the date i want is available let alone classes, encounter, sacraments, etc!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh goodness. I was waiting to finish the semester to deal with all of this church business, and it looks like that time has arrived. I'm going to have to get on the ball with that ASAP-I don't want to find out about anything else I'm unaware of! I really do hope this doesn't turn out to be a nightmare for the both of us :(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have either of you figured out where you were going to get changed, how you were going to get the wedding party to/from the church, etc?? I'm having my ceremony at St Joseph's and the reception at the Hilton. The lady at the church mentioned that there was no place to change at the church, and there is VERY little parking there....any thoughts??
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was just planning on getting changed at home because I wouldn't feel comfortabled getting ready elsewhere, so I didn't really see that as a posing problem. My bridal party is going to ride in a limo with me, so I was just going to have the girls exit the limo and enter the church to avoid any sequence confusion. The receptionist told me [back in May] that there was some parking across the street, but that guests were free to park at the Rivercenter Mall parking lot and they would get a stamp from the church validating their parking so they wouldn't have to pay the usual fee.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards