Second Weddings

Repurposing wedding dress from previous wedding.....thoughts??

I have a delima...  I was talking wedding dresses with my mom yesterday afternoon & I told her that I found one that I had liked on David's bridal website, but the dress is strapless (which I don't like) and its around $600 w/o alterations.  Well my mom suggested that I repurpose my wedding dress from the first wedding, the bodice is short sleved & has tons of beading & sequins, its very pretty & I'm pretty sure it would still fit, she suggested that we take it to a alterations person & have the skirt cut off, it was a tule skirt which I HATED, it had some pretty appliques on the skrit that I did like.  I have no clue for the cost of redoing a wedding dress skirt & who I would take it to.  Any thoughts, ideas, feelings, opnions?  Any idea of cost?  HELP!!!

I am in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area

~G.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Repurposing wedding dress from previous wedding.....thoughts??

• Usually it costs more to do extensive alterations than it would to just buy a new dress.  I woudn't re-purpose my first wedding dress just one principle.
    DSC_9275
  • Would it be horribly expensive to remove the majority of the tuling & just replace it with plain satin & no train, keep some of the tuling as an under layer to give the gown a little poof?

~G.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I had my mother-in-law's wedding dress totally redone for my first wedding, it turned into a totally different dress, she didn't even recognize it. I had my grandmother-in-law who's a seamstress who worked on it for me so I can't speak to cost but I can say it's amazing what they can do, so it wouldn't FEEL like the same dress, but you'll want to think about how you feel about combining those memories and how your fiance might feel about it in principal. It's a tough one.
    I decided to opt for a non-white fancy-ish summer dress this time around instead of recycling but that really depends a lot on the elegance of the wedding, too.
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards