North Carolina-Outer Banks

Are Great Cakes! really great??

Hi to all the Brides-To-Be out there!
I am planning my destination wedding for 10/15/11 in Nags Head, NC. My fiance and I had our very first cake tasting with Marsha from Great Cakes of the Outer Banks! and loved her Key Lime Bliss Cake in the Simply Outer Banks Beach Theme Design. However, this is the first wedding cake we've ever tried. My finace is totally stuck on it and doesn't want to taste any other cakes or consider another baker. (He's being a little stubborn!) My concern is, will there be something out there better or cheaper? Are we settling too soon? Any brides out there used Great Cakes! before and have some words of wisdom for me??
Trying to Conceive Ticker

Re: Are Great Cakes! really great??

• LRPardyLRPardy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I only tried Marsha's (we're getting her to officiate too) and are totally on board with Key Lime Bliss.  I haven't tried others in OBX but went to a wedding show in Toronto and nothing I tried there compares.  We too are picking the Simply OBX theme as well.
  • edited December 2011
    Definitely try Just Desserts too, I think they're top 2 down there, both were very good!
  • cbowen32cbowen32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try Patti Cakes also! Emily is soooooo friendly and her cakes are a bit cheaper. She is very creative and can create just about ANYTHING.

http://www.patticakesinc.net/ 
  • JenO24JenO24 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I 2nd Patti Cakes!
    She did our wedding cake and it wasn't just AMAZING looking, but AMAZING tasting too...so delicious!!!  DH and I can't wait to have our anniversary tier so we're having it for our 1 month instead of 1 year!

imageAnniversary
  • rossarvarossarva member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used Great Cakes! and everyone commented on how delicious it was!  It was different and had people pleasantly surprised with something different.
  • chelsealy02chelsealy02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I highly recommend you visit the wedding expo in January and try Great Cakes AND Just Desserts.  I'm doing Key Lime cake, but I preferred Just Desserts - it was more moist and the icing was less chalky.  ...And, Melinda is great!

10 more days... :)
  • edited December 2011
    From a local's point of view Marsha's cakes are very good and in demand! I know of a lot of locals that use her and love her work. I actually went to school with her daughter and can tell ya she cooked great even back then! I also like Cakes By Robin which is good for a twist on the norm..she does a lot of cupcake cakes and such! Happy days to all!
  • edited December 2011
    We used Great Cakes and I was quite disappointed. The cake was okay. I'm mostly upset over the incorrect flower color as well as a part THAT WASN'T COVERED IN ICING. Which is noticeable in every photograph and the wedding video.
  • missdysmissdys member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Atlantic Cake Company… Her Lemon cake with either a strawberry or raspberry filling and white chocolate icing is amazing… 

Remember my name. You'll be screaming it later.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards