North Carolina
Options

Let's talk about the Raleigh Farmer's Market

Dawn, I just saw your question in the good morning post about the plant varities at the Farmer's Market.

FI and I were just looking for herbs when we were there, we can only garden in pots on our patio, so topiaries and bushes wouldn't do us much good.

We got thyme, peppermint and parsley (because we already had cilantro, chives, taragon, lemon thyme and oregano from somewhere else).  We were looking for a globe basil, but the only basils we can find are other varities. 

Beka can probably speak to the other plant varities more than I can.

Re: Let's talk about the Raleigh Farmer's Market

• Options
    NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Hey!

Sooo today def. wasn't a good day to go. I got there around 10:30 and there were all of maybe 4 flower / gardening vendors up and running (Im assuming because A. its Monday and B. because of the storm last night)

Anyways, from what I saw though, theres a decent variety amount. I got two tomato plants (Big Boys tomatos -thats what theyre called apparently- that are about 2 ft tall and will grow tomatos next month YAY) for 5 bucks (it was 1 for $3 or 2 for $5) so I went ahead and purchased 2. I also got a couple of strawberry plants that have already started blooming for $2 each (this is an 'ok' deal, but I prefer to support local growers anyways)

From what I heard, this weekend is going to be BOOMING (of course it's the weekend Im heading to Charlotte to celebrate with my family and visit IKEA *Another YAY*)

So I would def. check it out this weekend (I'd go early Saturday morning)

Now. . .. who wants to help me build a raised veggie bed and plant all the flowers and bulbs I got today? Hmm?? :) - - I went shopping at Lowes too today-  - -
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Beka do you read the Pioneer Woman's blog?  She had a tutorial last year about raised beds and it made it seem really really easy.  I'll go look for it in a minute.

Sorry there weren't many people there yesterday selling.  I get the impression that many are only there on the weekend (especially at this time of year) since they have to pay a per day rate for the space.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/homeandgarden/2010/02/build-your-own-raised-flowervegetable-bed-redux/

The Pioneer Woman makes these things look easy.  It's probably the spare cowboys that do it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  I will definitely check it out Friday and Saturday.  Saturdays are always super crazy up there.  We are definitely doing a garden this year.  We are going to plant corn, tomatoes, lettuce, broccoli, cucumbers, zucchini, squash, and some pole beans (I think).  We are not under a restrictive HOA.  Although I have another pest to contend with...our wild bunny that somehow gets in our fence. 

If you want any of our produce, let me know.  I can send some your way! :)  I like to share our wealth, because it's wayyyy too much for just 2 people. 

Beka, you will have FB mail in a few. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mary (Thats correct right. . Im horrible with names *this is why I could never be a teacher*) Thats AWWWESOME! Thanks :) I've never seen that blog before. . another kicker for it is that I have a Basset hound . . she says "It helps to have a basset nearby for support" that made my day!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Beka, you should read PW, she's HILARIOUS.  Her basset's name is Charlie and he has a following, he's soooo adorable.  If you click on "confessions" then on the left you can choose "animals" and then "Charlie" to see some of the posts about him.  Her food posts are great but I really love her "confessions" and "home/garden" sections of the site. 

Dawn, I know you'll find lettuce and broccoli at the FM this weekend, and tomato plants, but I think it's still early for the other things.  Since they're high-summer crops you probably won't see them out yet. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    --Reading now-- I've been thinking about starting a blog for Lucy Bell as she's our furbaby and I swear. . .it's her goal in life to Amuse me, Chase me, Make me sleepy by cuddling in my lap, give me headaches on a daily basis, talk to me when shes playful and bored, and gaurd the steps by sleeping on the middle step, in the middle of it :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I'll have to wait until the end of April/first of May to plant the full garden.  I was just really interested in flowering varieties at the FM since we should be past the frost. Smile
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There were flowering plants and bushes out :o

I really wish we had more space to plant things.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards