Latino Weddings

Latin American Style Favors?

I am Canadian and my fiance is Peruvian.  We are getting married in Peru.  We disagree about favours, because we both have different ideas about what they should be.  In North American weddings, favors are usually edible and that's what I would like since I don't like the idea of knick-knacks.  Also I find that most of the favors that the wedding shops here are tacky and cheap looking.  My fiance thinks that having food as a favor is crazy and wants some sort of knick-knack, since edible favors are apparently never done here in Peru.  Does anyone with a really traditional Latin American family think that our Peruvian guests will think that its weird if we give things like little bags of Hershey kisses?   Or, I could make it even more personal and bake cookies and put them in cute boxes, since most of our guests know I love to bake and I bake for his family all the time.  Thoughts or suggestions?
Thank you!

Re: Latin American Style Favors?

• Nati05Nati05 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Well I'm getting married in Ecuador but my FI and I are all about doing things people have never seen before. I hear you on the tacky knick-knacks though. The ones covered in tulle and ruffles? I didn't know they still existed lol. 

Does your FI think food as a favor is crazy because he doesn't like the idea for your guests? Or more because it's something he's never heard of before? I think if your guests received bags of chocolate kisses, yes they might think it's a new weird thing they hadn't seen before. But it's not like something they'll be upset or offended by and throw away. I mean everyone, no matter the culture, appreciates a little snack. How about using something local and popular instead? The cookie idea is great, but IMO taking on such a big project before the wedding is asking for a headache and a disaster. Why don't you pack a local pastry, dessert from a nearby bakery in the cute boxes instead? Possibly add a little "thank you" saying or something similar and people will get the idea. :)

If not there's always practical favors too. Candles, coasters, mini frames.. I was considering doing wine stoppers (everyone could use a wine stopper at some point) HTH! :)
  • edited December 2011
    I completely understand about the tacky knick knacks. I agree with Nati05. I would go with cookies or a pastry from a local Puruvian bakery and wrap them in a box or cellophane bags with a pretty bow. Or you can give them handmade ceramic favors from a local flea market. Talk it over with your FI and hopefully he will like these ideas. Good luck!
  • Cynthia1207Cynthia1207 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm Italian (FI is Cuban) and we do not do edible favors because we think it looks cheap.  (I'm not trying to offend anyone here who is doing an edible favor though). 
    I think if you're getting married in Peru, you need to abide by what their custom for  favors is.  If they have the vision that we have concerning edible favors, you will hear about it for years.  People will talk about how they went to your wedding and as a thank you they ''only'' received some candy or whatnot.

Not all knicknacks are tacky but the nice ones do get expensive.  Did your FI give you any ideas for favors or any clue as to what is accepted? 

AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Nati05Nati05 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_latin-american-style-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:680Discussion:e3583f7c-30cc-40d5-aaea-6710b6357b13Post:42237068-08de-4968-8afd-3972d85928de">Re: Latin American Style Favors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm Italian (FI is Cuban) and we do not do edible favors because we think it looks cheap.  (I'm not trying to offend anyone here who is doing an edible favor though). <strong> I think if you're getting married in Peru, you need to abide by what their custom for  favors is.  If they have the vision that we have concerning edible favors, you will hear about it for years.  People will talk about how they went to your wedding and as a thank you they ''only'' received some candy or whatnot.</strong> Not all knicknacks are tacky but the nice ones do get expensive.  Did your FI give you any ideas for favors or any clue as to what is accepted? 
    Posted by Cynthia1207[/QUOTE]

I don't think that's necessarily true. From what I understand, because OP hasn't come back to explain yet, her FI thinks it's crazy just because no one has ever done it before. Not because it will look cheap or make them look like bad hosts. The knick-knacks she's probably talking about actually ARE cheap so it's not the same as getting candy over a fancy favor. The favors they're probably used to receiving are tacky cheap favors. So I really don't think getting a well presented edible favor instead of a tulle wrapped plastic/ ceramic one is the issue. Though I really would love to know for real.... OP?

And if Peru is like any other country in Latin America, people loooove anything associated with developed countries. I'm serious. It's like it gives them a certain status. In fact, my FI is counting on including a few American customs that will be new for some of our guests just to wow people, show them a good time and give them a topic they love to talk about. So I still stand by, if a decent edible favor is presented well to your Peruvian guests, they'll get it and enjoy it.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_latin-american-style-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:680Discussion:e3583f7c-30cc-40d5-aaea-6710b6357b13Post:13b13f07-7d9c-46b9-a951-2c2e50accbe5">Re: Latin American Style Favors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Latin American Style Favors? : I don't think that's necessarily true. From what I understand, because OP hasn't come back to explain yet, her FI thinks it's crazy just because no one has ever done it before. Not because it will look cheap or make them look like bad hosts. The knick-knacks she's probably talking about actually ARE cheap so it's not the same as getting candy over a fancy favor. The favors they're probably used to receiving are tacky cheap favors. So I really don't think getting a well presented edible favor instead of a tulle wrapped plastic/ ceramic one is the issue. Though I really would love to know for real.... OP? And if Peru is like any other country in Latin America, people loooove anything associated with developed countries. I'm serious. It's like it gives them a certain status. In fact, my FI is counting on including a few American customs that will be new for some of our guests just to wow people, show them a good time and give them a topic they love to talk about. So I still stand by, if a decent edible favor is presented well to your Peruvian guests, they'll get it and enjoy it.
    Posted by Nati05[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with you IF that's the case....OP can you please clarify????

Why doesn't your FI want edible favors?  Because it's just never been seen,  is it because it's not customary or is it ill-received?
  • Jojo714Jojo714 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not into the traditional Latino wedding knick knacks, and I actually don't even take them when I leave, which I know is terrible and rude. However, I'm hoping that someone else that likes them will pick it up and have 2, it's better than my taking it and throwing it out at some point in the near future. I was actually "caught" once, cause she basically ran after me with it in her hand- I smiled and took it. I'm hoping that the generous envelope I gave her will offset this with God. j/k.
    8-26-12-1-1 8-26-12-2
  • Nati05Nati05 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_latin-american-style-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:680Discussion:e3583f7c-30cc-40d5-aaea-6710b6357b13Post:0daf63cc-1add-40a2-9ef7-29cd8df573e4">Re: Latin American Style Favors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Latin American Style Favors? : I completely agree with you IF that's the case....OP can you please clarify???? Why doesn't your FI want edible favors?  Because it's just never been seen,  is it because it's not customary or is it ill-received?
    Posted by Cynthia1207[/QUOTE]

I don't think OP is ever coming back hahaha. Which is a bummer really, I got kind of excited to actually have someone in the same boat. Not to mention she's also left us hangin..

Cynthia your wedding is sooo close! Are you going out of your mind with excitement yet?!? :D
  • edited December 2011
    Hahaha, I'm back!  I just got super busy for a few days!
    Thanks so much for all the replies!   Yeah, I think basically the deal is that they've never seen it before, and they're much more used to tacky looking little bride and groom dolls as favors.  I don't think anybody would be offended, but maybe surprised.  I asked my fiance about it again last night, and he made a joke where he pretended to eat an edible favor saying "Jen and Johan's wedding" and then "Oh, I forgot it already."  So basically its about having a keepsake to hold onto to remember the wedding by.
    So I think we've decided to compromise and do candles, like Nati05 suggested!  Happy medium for both of us.
    Thanks again for the input, and its good to know that others think the same as I do!  
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Happy to hear you guys settled it!

I must agree that a mini bride and groom is wayyyy tacky.  I'd probably leave on the table ;)

Nati-Yup it's close!  I'm excited, I can't wait for it to be here...This is the longest week ever!
  • edited December 2011
    We kind o had both a small keepsake and an edible favor. When we were announced and kissed we had a Spanish song play and guests shook maracas, which had personalized tags and they could keep. Then after the dinner, we gave everyone individually packaged Mexican wedding cookies with personalized tags.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards