Just Engaged and Proposals

How did you ask your bridesmaids to be in your wedding?

I am wanting to do something more formal than just asking my friends (one of them is OOT) but nothing too cheesy either.  Any ideas?  I made some cards with my cricut to give them-I stole the poem from another knottie and plan to write a personal note to each friend asking them to be my bridesmaid...my other question is, do I hand these to my friends when I see them next? Or, do I mail them?  

"All that I'm after is a lifetime of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you"
Photobucket
Anniversary
Photobucket
My Crafting Blog
Married Bio

Re: How did you ask your bridesmaids to be in your wedding?

• Awww crud. I asked my friend in person last night... Her reaction was worth a million bucks. But I LOVE that poem. At first when I read it I had wished I had done something like that. But thinking back on it... I would not have missed her reaction or that hug for the world.

Cathy
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • none of my bridesmaids live in town (one lives 45 minutes away, shes the closest one!). i ordered cute cards from etsy that were personalized and i mailed them out. they all "know" they are going to be in the wedding, but i never officially asked them. i thought a surprise invite would be interesting. they know i was sending them an invite to something though...they should all be getting them this coming week, so we will see if they like them! :)
  • see that's why I'm torn-I'd love to see their reaction when I ask them-though like Blondee-they all know I want them to be in the wedding...hmmm, I'll have to think about it some more.  My MOH is coming to visit in 2 weeks so I def plan on asking her in person-taking her out to lunch or something like that-but my OOT friend I won't see until May, and I don't want to wait that long to ask her, and my other 2 live in town and I see them almost every weekend.

So maybe I ask them in person and then send them the card afterwards?
    "All that I'm after is a lifetime of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you"
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
    Photobucket
    My Crafting Blog
    Married Bio
  • Hand them the card the next time you see them, so you can do it in person and give them the cute card.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • If your wedding isn't until June 2011, Do NOT ask them now.  Wedding party should be asked at around 8 months before the wedding.  There is no point in asking them this early since you don't even have to worry about bm dresses until about 5 months before the wedding.

Go check out the Wedding Party board.  You will see quite a few threads asking how to kick a bm out.  Removing a bm is a friendship ending move.  Relationships change and the problem is that you never know how they will change.

When it is time to ask, I would give them the cards in person.  Remember, the honor is being asked, not how you are asked.
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • Thanks for all of the advice! I will be doing both-giving the card in person :)  My MOH will be coming to visit next Thursday and I am very excited to ask her!!
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
    Photobucket
    My Crafting Blog
    Married Bio
  • Oh, that card is cute! How exactly did you make it?

My closest BM(1 of my MOHs) is 6 hours away...We're all spread out. But we all love mail, so I plan on making a cute card :) I'm thinking of doing a black and white picture of me and each girl on the front, and message on the back.
  • I made my card using the cricut die-cut machine (www.cricut.com) and the sweathearts cartridge.

I plan on mailing the card to my one OOT friends and write on the envelop to call me first before she opens it-so I can be "in person" as possible when I ask her.
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
    Photobucket
    My Crafting Blog
    Married Bio
  • I just asked mine face to face, except for the OOT one who I asked by phone.

I do remember getting off a plane and seeing a girl holding a big placard that read "Will you be my Bridesmaid?"   I thought that was cute.
    murrayed
  • I love that poem! I made a tank top that said Maid of Honor and then printed out that poem and then printed out another thing that just said "will you be my maid of honor?" and I put it in a box and made it all pretty and mailed it (she lives inTexas) and she had no idea that I was even sending her anything! She called me whenever she got and told me that she started crying when she read it. I wish I could have seen her face so I think that I would give it to them in person!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am getting married in June 2011, and waited until I had the place and date before asking my BM's. I haven't asked all of them yet because I want to do it all in person, and some are OOT, so when I see them I will ask them. I used a poem I found online and then collected pictures of the BM and I over the years, some pictures date back 8 years so those are always fun, then cut them, arranged them, and put them around the printed poem then framed it.  My 2 BM's I already asked loved the frame, and it's nice to see pictures of all the things we have done over the years, so it was a nice memory keep sake also.  
    Have fun!
  • I was going to plan to take them out and do something special or write them each a note asking them to be in the wedding, but I could not wait.  I called each of them and asked them to be in our wedding.  It was wonderful talking to each of them on their own and hearing their reaction.  We are having three junior bridesmaids and two junior ushers and their responses were the best!  They were so excited.  It was such a great feeling, knowing how excited they were to be apart of our special day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards