Military Brides
Options

Ordering Dresses

So I keep finding wedding dresses that I LOVE on Etsy.  Have any of you ladies ordered your dress without trying it on?!  I've always been lucky and I've never been disappointed in the past with dresses for prom, military balls and such but this is diffferent!  Makes me a bit nervous.  What do ya think?

Re: Ordering Dresses

• Options
    Have you tried on wedding dresses yet? I think the important thing is to go and try on styles in person however you end up ordering. Wedding dresses are peculiar things, and what you think you love you may hate and you might find a style you love that you never would have thought of. 

I'm not opposed to ordering online from somewhere reputable. If you're looking for somewhere that carries major brand gowns at a discount, try Pearl's Place. I've heard good things about them and they're a real brick and mortar store. I almost was going to order a dress from Dolly Couture by sending my measurements in online, again, it's a real store but the only way I could get one was online. I ended up going with a different feel for my wedding, but I know they're reputable. 

As far as Etsy goes, be very very careful. It's easy to see it as a giant flea market or art fair where everything is handmade and you're dealing with a small seamstress. Not always the case-- a lot of resellers sell on there and you could end up ordering something from China that you have no recourse on or way to return. I suggest making sure that the seller is located in the U.S. and having an extended message conversation with them. Most Etsy sellers that do a good bit of business may also have a personal website or a Facebook page, I would want anyone that I worked with on something like my wedding dress to have those. Also, check their reviews, and maybe message their former clients. As well, make sure the pictures of the dresses they're offering to make aren't stock photos, but are photos of their actual work. 
  • Options
    Divine offered great advise. I am with her is asking have you gone and tried on dresses?  I will say that I in no way wanted a strapless dress.  My choice would have been a halter (I am very top heavy) and thought that would give more support.  Well it turned out that a halter made me look like a linebacker and the strapless actually made my chest look smaller.  So long and short do go and try on styles if nothing else just to get a feel for what you like in person. Happy shopping!
  • Options
    No, haven't tried on dresses, but there's only one bridal store up here I'm going to have to go to Anchorage to do dress shopping.  The store up here doesn't really have anything and it's more of a prom store then a bridal store.  And the styles that I've liked the most are the ones I've seen on Etsy.  I know I'll find my dress eventually :)
    Thanks for the input ladies! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards