Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

engagement ring during ceremony?

Is there a rule as to what you are supposed to do with your engagement ring during the ceremony? Like, do you wear it and just switch the wedding band to the other side after the ceremony, or wear it on a different finger, or have MOH hold it? I wasn't sure if there was an accepted way to do it.

Re: engagement ring during ceremony?

• I've seen it worn on the right hand during the ceremony, but I'm not sure if there's a rule for that.
  • AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There's no rule for it.

Some girls put it on their right hand for the ceremony.

Some girls wear it on their left hand and have the wedding ring put on anyway.

I wanted to tie my ring into my bouquet, but there was no time for that!
  • No rule. We had it involved in the ceremony. Something like place the E ring on her finger as the promise has been fulfilled.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • No rule.

A lot of women wear it on their right hands until after the ceremony. I kept mine on my left hand because that's the only finger it fits on, and just switched them after the ceremony. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_engagement-ring-during-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:0eb670e9-4cc8-4940-82bd-8e290ac41003Post:9bc8871b-00a3-4f75-b9cc-6b615ec40c7b">Re: engagement ring during ceremony?</a>:
    [QUOTE]No rule. <strong>We had it involved in the ceremony. Something like place the E ring on her finger as the promise has been fulfilled.</strong>
    Posted by redheadfsu[/QUOTE]

<div>We are planning to do this too.</div>
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm planning on having my engagement ring and wedding band fused together before the wedding, this will mean I'll have to go the whole week or so before the wedding without a ring, but I want them fused together as we are leaving for our HM the day after the wedding! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I left my engagement ring on my left hand and H put the wedding band on top of it.  Before pictures, I switched the order of the rings.  But you can do whatever you feel comfortable with.  There are no rules.
    PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_engagement-ring-during-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:0eb670e9-4cc8-4940-82bd-8e290ac41003Post:05745a6c-f018-4c39-b7f5-ff70788a20b7">Re: engagement ring during ceremony?</a>:
    [QUOTE]No rule. A lot of women wear it on their right hands until after the ceremony. I kept mine on my left hand because that's the only finger it fits on, and just switched them after the ceremony. 
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

This is what I am going to do.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I doesn't really matter, I think everyone does something a little differently.  I think I'll wear both before the ceremony for our photos, take the band off right before the ceremony to give to the best man, wear my e-ring during the entire ceremony and have FI place the band on top of it.  After the ceremony I plan on switching them.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_engagement-ring-during-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:0eb670e9-4cc8-4940-82bd-8e290ac41003Post:180e2072-6068-4a48-a327-ae5f2135016c">Re: engagement ring during ceremony?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I left my engagement ring on my left hand and H put the wedding band on top of it.  Before pictures, I switched the order of the rings.  But you can do whatever you feel comfortable with.  There are no rules.
    Posted by GreenEire[/QUOTE]

<div>I think this is what I'll do. I'm not fusing my rings together, and my engagement ring fit perfectly on my left hand. So this will be easiest and makes the most sense for me. Thanks for the tip!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image 300 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing out!
    image 300 Can't find the mailbox!
  • im keeping mine on my left hand, will take it off during the ceromony and slip on the wedding band then put it back on. it sounds like a lot to do but it takes a few seconds.
    apparently it can get stuck? but mine is a bit loose anyways, i will be fine :)
  • I  am taking my ering off for the ceremony, and FI will put it back on when he says the vows;  I just want one ring.
  • edited January 2012
    Wedding ring has to be worn in the third finger of the left hand. It is said the nerve of this finger is connected to our heart, because of which it is considered auspicious to be worn in the particular finger.

Hindi matrimony
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards