Christian Weddings
Options

Vows

Has anyone on this board thought about their vows? I am getting married in 100 days... I am starting to look into vows now! 

Re: Vows

• Options
    azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married in less than 20 days, so mine are done! Here they are:

I, M, take you, J, to be my wife, before God who brought us together; to love and cherish you even as Christ loved the Church and gave Himself for it, to lead you and share all of life's experiences with you by following God through them. That through His grace, we might grow together into the likeness of Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord.

I, J, take you, M, to be my husband, before God who brought us together, to love you, cherish you, to submit myself unto you in all things, and to follow you through all of life's experiences as you follow God. That through His grace we might grow together into the likeness of Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord.
  • Options
    misslizlovesmisslizloves member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Those are beautiful!! Where did you find them or did you write them yourself? So exciting 20 days is so close!! Congrats!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmm... we haven't decided on vows yet.  I'll be reading everyone's responses!! 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here is what we used:

Declaration of Intent 

L, do you here in the presence of God and these witnesses declare your commitment to and choose J as the one with whom you wish to spend your life? Do you give yourself to him and accept the gift of self, which he gives to you? Do you pledge to endure all of the difficulties that life may offer, even as you look forward to sharing the joys to be experienced together? (“I do”)

J, do you here in the presence of God and these witnesses declare your commitment to and choose L as the one with whom you wish to spend your life? Do you give yourself to her and accept the gift of self, which she gives to you? Do you pledge to endure all of the difficulties that life may offer, even as you look forward to sharing the joys to be experienced together? (“I do”)

Exchange of Vows

(J): I take you, L, to be my wife. I promise before God and these witnesses, to be your faithful husband, to share with you in plenty and in want, in joy and in sorrow, in sickness and in health, to forgive and strengthen you, and to join with you so that together, we may serve God and others, in all circumstances, and as long as we both shall live.

(L): I take you, J, to be my husband. I promise before God and these witnesses, to be your faithful wife, to share with you in plenty and in want, in joy and in sorrow, in sickness and in health, to forgive and strengthen you, and to join with you so that together, we may serve God and others, in all circumstances, and as long as we both shall live.

Exchange of Rings

(J): I give you this ring, as a symbol of my love for you, my covenant to be your husband, and to be faithful to you, and as a reminder of God’s presence in our life.

(L): I give you this ring, as a symbol of my love for you, my covenant to be your wife, and to be faithful to you, and as a reminder of God’s presence in our life.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We are actually writing our own vows and the knot has a great little place that gives ideas for writing vows
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We wrote ours:

NAME, I take you to be my husband/wife and partner forever.
    I promise to love you in sickness and in health, in good times and in bad.
    I will share your joys and your sorrows, your laughter and your tears.
    I promise to encourage and support you in all that you do, caring for you as I care for myself.
    I will love you without resrvatiom and will honor and respect you for the incredible person that you are.
    I promise to be open and honest with you and I will do my best to help you become the person God intends for you to be.
    Throughout our lifetime together I will cherish you as my best friend.
    This is my covenant to you and to God.
  • Options
    fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

Intent:
    ____, believing that marriage is a covenant intended by God to be a lifelong fruitful relationship between a man and a woman, do you vow to God, to ____, your family, and your community to remain steadfast in selfless and unconditional love and respect for ___ and do you promise to always seek reconciliation in times of trial?  Do you promise to remain faithful and pure in mind and body while purposefully growing personally and spiritually in your covenant marriage relationship?

Vows:
    I, _____, enter into this covenant of marriage with you,_____./ I promise always to love you as my ________/ and to completely give myself and all that I have to you./ I pledge to care for you for better or worse, richer or poorer, in sickness and in health /I will strive to live before you a life of faith and trust in Jesus Christ./ I will love, honor, and respect you all the days of my life.

Rings:
    “____, I give you this ring/ as a symbol of my commitment to you/ and, thereby, seal this covenant of marriage.”

• Options
    squeakyducksqueakyduck member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My pastor just went over the vows with my FI and I. We're just using the ones from the church. I'm not sure we get much of a choice. But we didn't want to write our own anyways. 
    Have you spoken to the pastor about the vows?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our pastor told us he has a "choose your own vows" worksheet where was can mix and match different things we want to include in our vows. Since we still have over 200 days we haven't gotten into this yet.
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    revived86revived86 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was a little wary of the whole writing our own vows thing because i worried that it could get really lame, but what we did ended up working out really well- our pastor had a set of vows that had been passed down to him by the pastor who had married him and his wife, and they had been changed and modernized a bit along the way. So we just used them and put our own touches on them. DH had some really special ideas that made me fall even more in love with him, too- like incorporating the Trinity into it, adding the word "compassion" because he feels that that is really a beautiful picture of marriage, and even adding in that we are promising to love each other  in times of conflict (we both have very strong personalities, lol)

here are the vows we used, tho:

I take you, [name] to be my [husband/wife]

Loving you now in your growing and becoming,

As I commit my life to your well-being.

I will love you when we are together

And when we are miles apart.

In times of joy and harmony,

And in times of conflict and sorrow.

I will love and support you always,

Standing by you faithfully in all things.

I will honor your goals and dreams

And help you fulfill them.

I will cherish you as we live together

In the covenant of faith, hope and love,

With the Trinity as my model

For perfect love and compassion.

Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Here are ours (they are posted on the fridge, so that we see them every day):

In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and with great joy
    I [name] take you, [name], to be my wedded [wife/husband]
    to have and to hold, from this day forward
    for better, for worse,
    for richer, for poorer,
    in sickness and in health
    to love and to cherish
    forsaking all others
    'til death do us part,
    according to God's holy ordinance;
    with this solemn vow, I pledge myself to you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards