Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Need food ideas. Early reception!!!!

My reception is going to start at 3 and end around 6. I have no idea what kind of foods to serve. I am on a budget and will be making all the food myself with the help of my mother in law and fiance. If there are any suggestions on cheap but tasty foods for receptions that can be served in large quantitys please reply. I also need vegetarian selections as well.

Re: Need food ideas. Early reception!!!!

• UDscoobychickUDscoobychick member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could do an hors d'oeuvres reception for that time frame--it's usually cheaper than a full meal, and the options are nearly endless.
  • future-mrsfuture-mrs member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yup, I would go hors d'ouevres, plus you can a lot of different stuff to accommodate everyone.  Maybe some stuffed mushrooms, crab cakes, wonton cups, pinwheels, small beef sandwiches/chicken, dips, etc.  Options are endless.
  • edited December 2011
    I also agree hors d'ouevres would be the best way to go. Also do like a Veggie Tray, Cheese and Crackers tray, Fruit Tray, ECT.

Best of luck
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Maybe croissant sandwiches veggie and fruit trays its not a real meal time so snacks should work fine!
  • apaadzzzzapaadzzzz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think lasagna would be good.  You could make a meat and vegetarian option, and you could make them the day before. Then you could make some appetizers  the day of.  If you wanted to keep with the Italian them, you could do antipasta platters since that will be easy since it just requires assembly.  You could make some garlic bread the day before too. I remember an episode of The Barefoot Contessa, where she recommended a menu like this for  a wedding that the Bride was cokking herself.
  • tommyandytommyandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Andy's Never Fail Pasta Salad!
    The day before (up to 2 days actually) cook pasta as directed - I usually use spirals.  Put the cooked pasta in a huge plastic bowl with a lid & cover with Italian salad dressing.  Close the bowl & shake to mix.  Chill over night.  The morning of, mix in grape tomatoes, diced bell peppers - yellow ones work best, & sliced green onions.  Add another bottle of salad dressing & stir to combine.  I like to top the pasta salad with sliced parmesan cheese.  It looks fancier than regular parmesan cheese for spaghetti.  This is a very colorful & yummy salad.  Try it this week for lunch.
    Are you in Portland Oregon or Portland Maine?  If the weather is cool, maybe you could serve a soup or chili? 

• edited December 2011
    A good vegetarian option is spanakopita -- you can make it a while ahead of time and freeze -- just assemble it but instead of putting it in the oven, throw it in the freezer.  Then straight from the freezer to the oven on the day-of.  (It will take a fair bit longer to cook coming from the freezer, but will turn out just the same.) 

• eliza+jeliza+j member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Delicious and easy appetizers include cheese and crackers, finger sandwiches and an easy caprese salad.

• edited December 2011
    Ideas: 

Quiches (lorraine, bacon & swiss)
    lasagne or stuffed shells
    fruit cups
    mini tartlets filled with crab salad, chicken salad
    salad
    a taco/fajita bar where people can DIY tacos (with veggie taco/meat/fish taco options)
    assorted meats and a mashed potato bar
    samosas (kind of like a spiced potato & pea turnover)
    bbq pork, fried chicken, biscuits (there is a recipe for crispy bbq tofu on allrecipes.com that is really yummy)
    individual pot pies... you can make fillings, and use circles of premade or homemade pie crust for the tops

~Danielle~ 25 June 2011 June 2011 Siggy Challenge: E-Ring Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards