Wedding Reception Forum

Flowers!

Ok so I'm not quite sure what I'm doing as far as flowers. I love the idea of fresh flowers but I cannot afford to hire a florist and so we will be making our own centerpieces. I dont think I want to stress out over making my own centerpieces a couple of days before. So I thought I'd go with silk. But those are also very expensive and unless you really pay a lot for the good ones they look like crap. So Real or Silk. And after I figure that out where do I go to get them. I havent really stressed about too much so far but this whole flower thing has got me a little worried. I want to save money without my centerpieces looking like I pulled weeds out of my neighbors garden lol.

Thanks!
Bailey

Re: Flowers!

• Don't use flowers at all!  There are plenty of gorgeous center pieces that are done with candles, beads, ribbons, etc.
  • What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I second not using flowers. I'm personally not a fan of silks. There's gorgeous ideas with candles or single flowers.
  • Hi Bailey: You should look into the pre-arranged, designed wholesale flower vendors such as www.wholeblossoms.com. You can order sets of flowers that are all ready to put into vases.  You can then visit www.saveoncrafts.com or your local walmart or dollar store for vases.

If you write back here with details, like your wedding mood/theme, your colors, when your wedding will be, etc. I can try to suggest things. I enjoy floral design and have done a TON of research about DIY florals and other centerpiece ideas. 

If, for example, you take the candle idea others have mentioned, be sure to check with your venue about lite / open flames, and with the linen rental or caterers, because sometimes they won't let you use wax or flames.  That can be circumvented (in some cases) by using LED or other sorts of lights that are not open flame/wax.

I love metallic as a design element, so you should definitely check out saveoncraft's metallic birch branches - inexpensive, not going to wilt or require water, very dramatic, tall so great for tall centerpieces - they come with glitter and/or metallic paint, and also if you want, with LED lights embedded (I think this sort is a bit tacky, but it's up to you!) If you use these be sure to use a heavy material in the bottom of each vase to anchor it, so they won't tip over - you can get glass marbles from saveoncrafts or a dollar store, smooth river stones, wrap a can of soup in metallic foil paper and surround this with the branches....you can get metallic foil paper at papersource.com.

These are just some ideas....like I said, write back with details here, and I can help more, if you want!

E
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards