Maryland-Baltimore

Speaking of Herrington on the Bay...

Hey everyone!  It's been a while since I've been on this board because I got married in 2008.  I'm back because my SIL is newly engaged and she's looking to start the wedding planning process.  She's interested in having her wedding reception somewhere with a water view.  She's looked online and really likes the way that Herrington on the Bay looks.  Do any of you have experience with this venue?  If so, please share your thoughts and opinions!  Also feel free to give other venue suggestions if you'd like.  TIA and happy wedding planning!
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Speaking of Herrington on the Bay...

• dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My friend had her reception there about 5 years ago.  The venue was great, but it wasn't my wedding so I can't really give you any feedback on how there were to work with.

As far as hotels, at that time, the only options were Herrington Harbor Inn (on-site) and Chesapeake Beach Resort and Spa.  We stayed at the Inn, as did most guests.  It was a dump.  The air conditioning didn't work, the sheets were dirty, and their were bugs everywhere inside the rooms.  It was also pretty expensive considering what the quality of the rooms were.  Luckily, we were recent college grads and didn't care too much about anything other than the alcohol.  I haven't been there since, so it's entirely possible they've renovated since.  The Resort & Spa is only a little bit down the road and we got ready there.  It's a beautiful hotel, but of course it's a bit on the expensive side.

• edited December 2011
    I grew up right down the street from Herrington and have been to several weddings there. I've also eaten in their restaurant on many occasions. It's a beautiful venue. I love their ceremony site out on the point next to the water.. it's gorgeous.

IMO their wedding food is pretty good, but not spectacular (although the food at the restaurant is delicious). They have tons of options for food though, so it could just be the selections that I've had.

Also, if I'm remembering correctly, they have pricing minimums, especially for a Saturday evening wedding. Not the most budget-friendly venue, if that is an issue for your SIL. But all in all, it's a really nice place and I'm sure she'd have a lovely wedding if she went with them.
  • gracie2762gracie2762 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got married at Herrington in 2008 and everything was wonderful. We had our ceremony on the Herring Bay Bridal Lawn and our reception in the Yacht Club. They've redone the hotel since then and it's pretty nice now. Like pp said, I believe they do have a $20k minimum on Saturday evenings now.
  • jenn&chadjenn&chad member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We visited Herrington when we were choosing a venue.  The ceremony sites are beautiful, but the food they gave us while we were there was pretty awful.  Some dried out, bland pizza and a shot glass of soup that was way too thick to be served that way!  And some standard mini-dessert.  Herrington is expensive and kind of felt like a wedding factory to us.  We wanted something that felt more personal and we didn't want to be able to look across and see someone else getting married, which it seemed would happen since there are 3 ceremony sites pretty close to each other. 

I was very excited to visit because I loved their website, it looked amazing.  But it was disappointing in reality.  Sorry if I'm overly opinionated; we drove a few hours to get there and were very pressed for time.  If someone told me this beforehand we definitely would have saved ourselves the trip! 

I hope I haven't offended anyone who got married at Herrington.  I don't mean to.  It was really pretty, just not for us. 

We also visited the Philip Merril Environmental Center and the space was amazing and you can get married right on the beach, but it was too expensive for us.  We also liked Silver Swan Bayside, it was beautiful but I've heard some things about the management changing on here so not really sure what's going on there. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info, everyone!  I'll be sure to pass it along to my SIL! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Herrington Harbor wedding that i attended was nice and the food was good; not sure of the cost as I was a guest.  However, I did recently go to Chesapeake Beach Resort & Spa; price was good and the hotel rooms were very nice.  I have fell in love with another venue, but CBRS was my second choice

• robinjennierobinjennie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Herrington on the Bay was my second choice and ultimately didn't end up going with them.  The person I met with was wonderful to work with and had various suggestions for food and timing of the event.  The food samples I was given during the meeting were amazing!!!  I can only assume the rest of the food is just as good.  If I didn't fall in love with another venue I would have had my wedding here.  I also wasn't a huge fan of the guest rooms but that wasn't a deciding factor for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards