March 2013 Weddings

Picking centerpieces...and struggling with it...

I thought I had my mind made up....http://pinterest.com/pin/459226493222981126/
I  was planning to use a light pink flower, and then some gray ribbon around the votive holders (my colors are blush pink/gray) I even started buying wine glasses, but I havent invested too much yet. 
I just keep rethinking what I want.  I've been more indecisive about this than anything!  I dont want to spend a lot of money, but I dont want it to look cheap or lacking, either.  I really want it to look romantic, and I LOVE the look of the mercury glass candle holders...Does anyone have input?  Am I putting too much thought into it??  My FI tells me to stop obsessing and just go with this wine glass idea, I just dont know...he doesnt get it...
March 2013 Oct Siggy-Hair Inspiration Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Picking centerpieces...and struggling with it...

• kari06_12kari06_12 member
    First Comment
    edited October 2012
    I love the look!  I think it is very romantic ... candles do so much!  My fiance keeps saying the same ... just pick something ... ha.  The truth is, thouh, no matter how much thought we put into the centerpieces, they will likely go unnoticed .. sadly enouhg.  But I do love this idea!
  • I loveeee this wine glass look. I think it screams romance :) You could probably get a hold of some of the glasses at thrift stores and dollar stores.
    I had a very hard time thinking of what I wanted to do for our centerpiece also. It was the one thing I could not get my mind set on. I knew I didn't want floral to cut costs, but I def wanted candles to set the tone.
    I decided on 3 cylinder vases with floating candles on a mirror. Someone gave me a bunch of large vases and flat circle mirrors one day so I tried to use them . I found the other sizes at dollar tree and wal-mart. So It was fairly cheap to create for 20 tables.

This is an incomplete mock up of my centerpieces. I just wanted to make sure the glass sizes were good next to each other.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love the idea too! I also love the PP's floating candles... so dramatic but it doesn't require too much money!! I totally get what you mean though, its a difficult choice! I have similar colors to you but mine are blush pink and gold, I tossed around the idea of making the mercury glass votives as well as a mercury glass vase for the flowers. I decided just to stick with the clear glass vases our florist has but there are LOTS of DIY mercury glass options on Pinterest. You can get supplies from Walmart/Dollar Store and make it yourself for way cheaper than you can buy it. Here is one I pinned: http://pinterest.com/pin/185773553349869145/

Good luck! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love the idea, but maybe the reason you are torn is because you like the idea, but not for your reception table pieces.

My advice?  Start from scratch, you have plenty of time.  Start by going to garage sales (tis' the season) and see what is out there.  Maybe you will find things that "sing" to you.  The centerpieces do not have to be all 100% matchy matchy, and when I think of a romantic setting; I never think the ceterpieces will match.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for all your input, it helps!!
    March 2013 Oct Siggy-Hair Inspiration Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Love the idea! Like PP said, it sounds VERY romantic. I wish our venue allowed candles.
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
    BFP#1 4/9/12- EDD 12/22/12- M/MC at 9w4d 5/23/12.
    BFP#2 12/18/12- EDD 8/31/13 First U/S- 6w4d HB 124! Second U/S- 10w2d HB 178!! Grow baby, grow! NT Scan Scheduled for 2/20/13.
  • jennipea382jennipea382 member
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited October 2012
    I think they're great! I think someone mentioned that people don't remember the centerpieces - it's so true. I couldn't tell you what most of my friend's centerpieces were. The only ones I remember are because they were recent and also because I'm in wedding planning mode, so I notice things most people wouldn't. I think one of my friends had some small fake flowers in a single vase and something sprinkled around it, can't remember what though. Another friend had a variety of vases/bowls with different colored rocks, lights and objects (actually the same exact things we're using for our centerpieces were in one of hers!). Both were simple (and maybe cheap to some people) but they worked and just because they weren't fancy doesn't mean we had any less fun!

Here is what we're doing:

We are renting the vases and clear rocks from my mom's coworker. The blue and silver things are Christmas picks from Michael's. We are going to mix the blue rocks in with the clear (like the one on the right). Then we'll put a LED light in the bottom. Oh, and those votives will be inside the big vases to help with putting the light in there (so we can put these together ahead of time, then at the venue we can just turn on the lights and put them into the votive thing). We changed our minds a million times so I'm glad we finally came up with this! So keep playing with things and finding ideas - you'll come up with something!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards