Second Weddings

We did it!

So I posted a while ago about dreaming of just running off and elpoing?  Well, while we haven't made it offical yet, my FI and I cancelled our deposits on the reception hall, DJ and church and decided to elope.  We are going to Vegas in May with our best friend couple and doing it there.  Lost about $1500 in deposits and now have two wedding dresses to sell, but in the long run, we know this is right for us! 

Re: We did it!

• Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry to hear you lost the deposits,but it's nice to know you are happy with your decision.
  • renjon7798renjon7798 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My family was just driving us crazy arguing about what a waste of money a big wedding was.  How it was our 2nd wedding and we already had our big days with our first marriages.  They were making us feel guilty for planning a wedding and my mother finally came out and said no one from her side of the family would come to the wedding.

While my parents support our marriage and truthfully couldn't be happier with my FI, the are so old school in the idea of 2nd marriages.  My FI and I were fighting with my parents all the time about it and it finally got to the point where I didn't even want to talk to my mother because every converstation turned into nagging about the waste of money my wedding was. 

My FI and I talked about it this weekend and decided that our relationship with my parents was more important than our wedding.  Our marriage is what matter and since my parents were obviously supportive of the marriage, we should focus on that and forget the wedding. 

It sucks about the deposits and the wedding because I truly believe my FI and I deserve the wedding we want and aren't breaking any rules or laws by wanting that.  But it just finally came down to ending the drama with my parents.  And since they live within a mile of us, we had to make the choice that was best.

But Vegas should be fun!!
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I hope Vegas is all you want it to be!
  • edited December 2011
    Ren-my FI, his two kids, and myself are going to Vegas in August and having our wedding there. Best advice is go to the Vegas boards under the local boards option and post for some advice. Vegas can be amazing-there are so many options for a non-traditional but fun wedding. You can get married in a chapel, a shark reef, ice bar, up high in helicopter, etc. So many options as well as shows, dinner, fun places to stay, etc. The ladies are great and can recommend so many options there that I didn't even know exist. 

Only other question-do you plan to tell your parents of your plans? I would just worry they may be so upset about missing the wedding if they are supportive of the relationship. Just my two cents though..

Can't wait to see you on the Vegas boards!
    edited December 2011
    We did tell my parents and they were so thrilled with our choice they are paying for our plane tickets!  We will have a very small (25 or less) backyard grill out reception when we get home, but that's it.   We are very excited and can't wait for next may!
  • Grits8812Grits8812 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Congrats!   Sorry to hear you had to loose your deposit money, that has to suck.  At least you are getting what YOU want out of it though. As long as you are happy with your decision the money isn't the worst.

edited December 2011
    Update!!  A friend of mine took the DJ.  Since her date in Sept was available, they just changed the date.  She paid me deposit money and she got the DJ she wanted!  So I got $300 of it back.  Not too bad....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards