Connecticut

Alfred Angelo and David's Bridal in Manchester - reviews?

Hi ladies! One of my BMs is from out of town, and she will be visiting in a few weeks. I'm planning on taking her to Alfred Angelo in Manchester, and I figured we would go to David's Bridal while we are in that area. Has anyone gotten their BM dresses at either of these stores? I see that they both have quite a large selection of BM dresses online, which I like. The selections of BM dresses that I have seen at smaller boutiques are not really impressive to me. Hoping to find something at AA or DB!

Any feedback is much appreciated! Also, does anyone know if I should make appts at these two places? They seem like "walk-in" type of places....but I'll be going on a Saturday so I'm wondering if I should make appointments to be safe.

TIA!

Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!

Re: Alfred Angelo and David's Bridal in Manchester - reviews?

• SoubretteSoubrette member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got my bridesmaid dresses at David's Bridal stores in VA, NJ, and MD (my girls are all over the place!) - def. make an appointment, esp if you are going on the weekend.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Mona8Mona8 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually went to Alfred Angelo's in Manchester yesterday just to browse through their shoes and jewelry. They didn't have very much there and I didn't really like what they did have. It just wasn't anything special. I went in around 4:30 yesterday and there was no one there.

I didn't really get helped much but that's because I was just browsing accessories and not looking for a dress. I can't personally say too much about their customer service, but I do remember seeing a couple posts here from girls who got really bad service there.

They did seem to have a very large selection of dresses though.  You could always look there and then order the dress or do alterations somewhere else if you're worried about the customer service though.

I found my BM dress at Julie Allen's Bridal and would recommend them. Hope that helps!
    imageAnniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I made an appointment for 4 of my 5 bridesmaids to go to the AA store in Manchester last weekend. I was getting nervous because of all the bad reviews I had been reading online.

But the saleswoman was VERY helpful. And I love their selection. They have all their BM dresses available in three sizes to try on (a small, 4-6, med 8-12, and large 18-20), which was great, since my girls are all VERY different sizes.

Make appointments, because your customer service person will be more likely to be attentive and give you the service you're looking for.
  • edited December 2011

Most weddings I've been in have had DB dresses and always went well - so that was my first stop for our BM dresses and it was still the same!  The service isn't A+ but I love the dress my girls will be in and you can't beat the price.  I have two in CT, one in MA and on in TX, so its very convenient to order from David's because of that.  Good luck!

• edited December 2011
    I've always had good experiences with DBin Manchester. I've never bought anything but have been in several times to look. 

On the otherhand, I was disappointed with customer service at AA. I've been twice. Once to look at bm dresses for my wedding- which I ended up ordering online and recently to look at a dress for an upcoming wedding I'll be in. Both times I was never greeted or even acknowledged in the store.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    planning bio
  • rswan412rswan412 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to AA in 3 different towns- one in PA, one in RI and the one in Manchester (lots of people wanted to see me try on dresses...) and I had horrible customer service at each one. Each time, the salesperson didn't "get" my style and kept trying to stuff me into expensive gowns that were not me. That being said, I have no idea if the customer service you get for BMs is different! I know my friend is using DB for her wedding and has nothing but good things to say :)
  • TBee99TBee99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We hit up AA, David's and Mariella's in Rocky Hill this weekend. My girls liked Mariella's the best. We didn't have to make an appointment, but we had a girl helping us the whole time (I have always had great costumer service there). Then we went to AA and David's and they they didn't really compare. The one good part about AA and David's is they tend to stock more sizes. AA has less selection, David's has more. I would check out Mariella's though, because the quality is so much better IMO.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Melissa603Melissa603 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would run screaming from both Davids and Alfred Angelo in Manchester. If you really want Alfredo Angelo, there are other stores in the area. This is the review I posted after I went dress shopping. We then went to Alfred Angelo in Manchester - HOT MESS. DON'T GO. The consultants have no idea what they are doing. They originally wanted to combine the 2 separate bridesmaid and bridal appointments I made into the same time slot so we couldn't see what each other was trying on. They also use metal clips and cinch the dresses under my arms as opposed to the back and the consultant pinched me with them. She was more excited about my wedding book than anything else. The bridesmaid trying on was a disaster as well. We called Stylish Impressions and they had the one dress that we kind of liked at Alfred Angelo and so we went back. We also walked into David's in Manchester and checked out about 3 dresses and walked out...not before my cousin tried on a fabulous Jersey Shore style Leopard Print short number!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi,
    Browsed AA (no appointment) and wasn't even greeted. Limited selection. I wasn't impressed.
    DB...<<sigh />> where do I begin..... Went there on a weekday, had super service. Went back the following Sunday (prom season AND Chuckie Cheese next door), it was CRAZY. Had that been my first experience, it would have been my last. As a matter of fact my SIL got stuck in the dressing room and had to be rescued by 3 firemen and TWO ladders, no lie!

DBhas a great selection. If you go, make an appt, try for a weekday, and ask for Sam (female) as your consultant. Steer clear of the manager, she was less than impressive!
    Good luck, have fun!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    AA- I have been there twice to look at BM dresses and get color swatches. One time, okay. The other, not even acknowledged. Though my mil and I kind of liked because no one was bothering us as we were browsing.

DB- I've always had good experiences for BM dresses. If you are looking for a less crazy store, West Springfield is your best bet. Manchester is always nuts- make an appointment, though not with Marlene. She made my first time trying on wedding gowns a nightmare and I'm having a hard time really getting up my enthusiasm to shop for my gown because of it- I'm almost scared.

Mariella's- I've never had a great experience in that store. I find the dresses to be overpriced and the salespeople always going between mutliple girls and you're left waiting for long periods of time. I've heard though that for brides though, they're much better, just not BM dresses because you don't need an appointment.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_alfred-angelo-davids-bridal-manchester-reviews?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:91cb6e49-f663-4b61-9471-72f4df5dacd0Post:83ae294c-b908-4188-9fdf-e1a71fffa9fc">Re: Alfred Angelo and David's Bridal in Manchester - reviews?</a>:
    [QUOTE]AA- I have been there twice to look at BM dresses and get color swatches. One time, okay. The other, not even acknowledged. Though my mil and I kind of liked because no one was bothering us as we were browsing. DB- I've always had good experiences for BM dresses. If you are looking for a less crazy store, West Springfield is your best bet. Manchester is always nuts- make an appointment, though not with Marlene. She made my first time trying on wedding gowns a nightmare and I'm having a hard time really getting up my enthusiasm to shop for my gown because of it- I'm almost scared. Mariella's- I've never had a great experience in that store. I find the dresses to be overpriced and the salespeople always going between mutliple girls and you're left waiting for long periods of time. I've heard though that for brides though, they're much better, just not BM dresses because you don't need an appointment.
    Posted by KFAW63012[/QUOTE]

I agree, sometimes it's nice when no one bothers you (because some salespeople bother you TOO much). But sometimes you kinda want someone to bother you, because you need help! Can't these salespeople just read our minds? :)

Thanks for your advice ladies! I think I will still check out both, but I'll make appts. Worst case scenario, the appointments don't go well, and we will keep looking!
  • edited December 2011
    I had a good experience with DB but felt rushed. AA on the other hand was horrendous! The "stylist" was of no help, was horribly dressed, didn't listen, etc.
    The fabrics at these salons are very cheap too, we spent the same amount for beautiful dresses online at j.crew.
    Definitely make an appt at each salon when you decide to go.
     I had to recommend somewhere, I'd say mariella's too.
    good luck
  • NickiveganNickivegan member
    edited December 2011
    I went to DB with a wedding book in hand, and two BMs. Never greeted, walked out. BM dresses are cute, but I like the feel and style of AA way better.

HOWEVER, here is my review of the AA store. FYI: problem as yet to be resolved and the complaints manager (they have one) has been iffy at best at keeping us informed of our dresses whereabouts even though he promised to keep us updated daily.

The dresses here are great. The ladies helping you pick out dresses are hit or miss. Some really know what they are doing and take care of you, others really just want their commissions, and ASK about it in front of customers (happened to us, she was really helpful but asked her manager if she were to get "it" in front of us.). 

All my times in the store, were WAY better than the Manchester David's Bridal (which was cold and rude, at best.)

The ability for this store to keep communication open and dresses delivered on time, is AWEFUL-at best.

When I went with all my Bridesmaids to pick out and order our dresses we had plenty of time with the 10 weeks of delivery. Now, after walking in on the 7th week, they are now informing me that the dresses will NOT be in until one week before my wedding. We were also specifically told at the day of ordering we did NOT need to put a rush delivery on them, even though I was a little worried about this. 
    Now I have no idea how I will get these dresses to my girls in time and have them altered, especially since they live all over the state and one is in NYC.

As if a bride really needs one more thing to stress about. Do NOT trust these people when it comes to time restrictions, order with double time needed, or go elsewhere. 

When I spoke to the woman on the phone she asked if we were using their alteration service, I told her "no" and then she told me "well then we can not guarantee they will be ready in time". NO KIDDING. I am not going to trust them with altering the dresses.

Luckily I do not have to fight with prom season as our wedding is July 23rd, so I should be able to have them altered in time, but now this is extra cost and stress for me and my ladies.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_alfred-angelo-davids-bridal-manchester-reviews?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:91cb6e49-f663-4b61-9471-72f4df5dacd0Post:17566eae-74e7-404e-81a8-06f91fc34c5b">Re: Alfred Angelo and David's Bridal in Manchester - reviews?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had a good experience with DB but felt rushed. AA on the other hand was horrendous! The "stylist" was of no help, was horribly dressed, didn't listen, etc. The fabrics at these salons are very cheap too, we spent the same amount for beautiful dresses online at j.crew. Definitely make an appt at each salon when you decide to go.  I had to recommend somewhere, I'd say mariella's too. good luck
    Posted by Ksahlberg[/QUOTE]

How did you go about ordering your dresses from J Crew? I have seen some beautiful BM dresses on their website but I wish they had them in stores so that the girls can try them on first. Were you able to find a J Crew store in the area that carries the BM dresses? I called around to a few J Crews last month but they all told me I had to order JCrew bridal stuff online.
  • Melissa603Melissa603 member
    edited December 2011
    I went to Stylish Impressions in Farmington and I can't say enough wonderful things about them. We went there first and then ended up going back there after our horrible times at AA and DB. They kept the store open an hour late for us and even let my cousin try on the horrible prom dresses just for fun to help lighten the mood. We bought the bridesmaid dresses and my dress there. Stylish Impressions does have Alfred Angelo and tons of other designers as well.
  • If you buy your dresses from here or if you just love their line I suggest going to a smaller boutique that carries the line.  Service was good when you purchase something but for everything after like pick-up, alterations etc the service was not as good.  If you have a small shop you love that carries the line you should go that route without hesitation.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards