Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

butterfly release??

Has anyone done a butterfly release? I really want to, but everthing I read cautions against. Just wondering if anyone has had a successful realease and who you used.

Re: butterfly release??

• I haven't heard of this since elementary school, where we did it as a science project.  (raised a butterfly and then let it go).  What goes wrong with them?  What are your concerns?  I know sometimes they don't fly away when you release them which would be a let down. 

Generally animals don't make good props. 
  • edited April 2011
    Yeah, that's cruel, really.  They're kept in boxes and then released.  I was at one wedding where they all died in the box.  It was really romantic (not).  Maybe think of another thing to do?  Good luck though!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_butterfly-release?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:bc594b3b-a627-43fc-9999-ceba067b41f9Post:da93c8a6-d20a-4b7e-9ffa-4ad9fe08047f">Re: butterfly release??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, that's cruel, really.  They're kept in boxes and then released. 
    Posted by deepcovejackie[/QUOTE]

I agree with Jackie 100%. Please do not do this.
    As stated, animals are not props.
    Anniversary
  • Ditto PPs. Animals don't belong at weddings. Don't exploit the butterflies.
  • I have seen four butterfly releases and not one was successful.  Each bride was heart sick afterwards.  Please don't. 
  • vsgalvsgal member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    I went to a wedding that did a butterfly release.  Most of them were dead before they left the box.  It is animal cruelty.  You would not release puppies or kittens at your ceremony.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • Awful idea.  In the movies they make it digital now.  Have your friends/family through the enviro - paper/ butterflies that dissolve into the ground after they flutter in the air. 

• I wouldn't recommend it.  Most of the butterflies die before the box is opened, those that do survive likely won't live long, and IMO it's also kinda cheesy like a dove release.  
    Anniversary
  • Just seems rude to the animals to me. Go with bubbles or something else for the end of the ceremony.

• The butterflies hate them because they wind up dead.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_butterfly-release?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:bc594b3b-a627-43fc-9999-ceba067b41f9Post:c9c41844-bb9b-49f0-ad3f-964424f7bbc4">Re: butterfly release??</a>:
    [QUOTE]The butterflies hate them because they wind up dead.
    Posted by ootmother2[/QUOTE]

OOT, you just made me laugh!  Thanks for the giggle.
  • I have heard a lot of bad things about it. Just imagine one of the kids opening the box to a dead butterfly.  It sort of sends the opposite message if it doesn't turn out right.
  • I wanted to do one originally for my wedding but when I talked to a photographer we were looking into he brought up the point that they don't photograph well, you just get weird lines in your picture because they're so small. So besides the so sad part that they might not live to be released at all (plus certain places have restrictions on releasing animals or "foreign animals" into "the wild") you won't get to have photos of them because i assume you'll be too busy smooching/looking at your new hubby to notice them! But at the end of the day it's definitely what will make you happy!
    Mrs. Vail 11.11.11
  • I had been thinking about that too..just never thought to post about it. I do see now that it probably wouldn't turn out right. I think it would be really sweet if it did...I just liked the fact because my FI's nickname for me is "butterfly". I wanted our wedding to be butterfly theme but he vetoed that idea. I'm thinking we'll have bubbles instead.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_butterfly-release?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:bc594b3b-a627-43fc-9999-ceba067b41f9Post:32d8cdd8-6d4c-4bf0-a0d7-a657b844c464">Re: butterfly release??</a>:
    [QUOTE]...I just liked the fact because my FI's nickname for me is "butterfly". I wanted our wedding to be butterfly theme but he vetoed that idea. I'm thinking we'll have bubbles instead.
    Posted by anayajami[/QUOTE]

Aw that's so cute! My Fi's nickname for me is bubbles!!! So we're definitely having bubbles ;)

Maybe you can sneak in a butterfly design into some other element of the wedding?
    White Knot Visit The Knot! Daisypath Graduation tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards