Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

WWYD?

Because our ceremony is probably going to take a really long time - more than an hour - and we can't start it until noon, would it be a good idea to take pictures after the reception?  I don't want to make people wait a long time for lunch, but we feel obligated to serve a full meal since so many people are OOT.  Given 8 hours of coverage, when would you have the photographer start?  6 hours? Taking formal pictures before the ceremony isn't feasible for us, and we can take pictures at the hotel where the reception is or at a botanical garden that's nearby, and we're getting married in July so it won't be dark out.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: WWYD?

• edited December 2011
    I would try to take some before the wedding and some after the wedding. This way people don't have to wait around and you won't have to rush around trying to get ready.
    Maybe get the formal ones done before hand and then afterwards do casual. Formal will probably go faster.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hi, 
    I am a wedding photographer in Santa Fe New Mexico. I usually begin photographing two hours before the ceremony. I will photograph the wedding party and the bride and groom (separatly) with their parents/family/friends before the wedding. If the couple is comfortable seeing each other before the ceremony (which is something I feel works really well for couples and strongly recommend) I will do portraits of the couple and of them with their wedding party before the ceremony. I prefer to do family groupings after the ceremony (I think it's less stressful and easier on the bride and groom) and do some advance planning so that these images take a total of 20 minutes after your ceremony and you don't have to keep your guests waiting very long.

I suggest you make a list of your important family formals ahead of time. Try to keep the different groupings to a minimum. Ask yourself what images you really and truly need and will enjoy later. Then make a written list of the formals in the order they will be taken (I suggest the bride's family go first) and hand the list out to everyone in the images at the rehearsal. Let them know that you want your formals to go quickly so you can enjoy as much your reception as possible and ask for their help making this happen. 

Choose a location for your formals ahead of time and discuss with your photographer. I suggest having your wedding party and family follow you when you recess back up the aisle and either go to a private room inside the church while your guests leave the church or choose a private location and go directly to this site and have your photographer start shooting right away. Try and avoid having your family and wedding party mingle with guests before the images are taken. If you have a large family appoint an organized family member who has good organizational skills to have the list and prepare the groups so your photographer can just shoot and not have to spend time wrangling.

Hope that helps!

Jane Bernard, photographer. 

• edited December 2011
    Have you already booked the photographer? If not it would be easier to choose one that offer unlimited coverage for the day. Then you would have him for the whole day and would be able to take the pictures whenever you want.
  • edited December 2011
    Have you already booked the photographer? If not it would be easier to choose one that offer unlimited coverage for the day. Then you would have him for the whole day and would be able to take the pictures whenever you want.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards