Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Vent - applying food credit

Hi Ladies!  I need an opinion as to whether or not I'm being crazy and overthinking this.  Our venue includes a plated dessert as part of the price (ex: cheesecake, creme brulee, etc.) OR a $10pp credit towards a dessert display (ex: ice cream sundae bar, chocolate fountain, etc).  However, we want to serve wedding cake, so I think having a piece of cake and then another plated dessert seems silly.  The problem with the dessert displays is that they cost $20-$25pp, so even with the $10pp credit, we'd still need to pay $10-15pp which I think is ridiculous.  

Now here's the catch. I asked if we could trade the $10pp towards an appetizer station, since I'm concerned about the amount of food at the cocktail hour.  They told me no.  I don't see what the difference is if we use the credit towards dessert or appetizers.  It's making me kind of mad!  I don't want to lose the credit.  Should I just give up and have wedding cake and another plated dessert?  

Re: Vent - applying food credit

• I went to a wedding where they served wedding cake and small plated dessert items on the same plate (mini tart, choc truffles, etc).  I think it worked out nicely because it offered the guests a different dessert option and you still go to have your cake.  See if your venue is willing to do something like this.  Although it's stinks that they won't be flexible about letting you switch it for another app...
  • Honstly I think ridiclous  also.   I might talk to a higher up.  If they still say no, just have the plated dessert.   I like a good cheescake better than wedding cake anyway.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2013
    Yes, I do think that is ridiculous but I would do as lyn suggested and talk to someone higher up (a manger, etc) to see if they can use the credit towards the appetizers.  If not, I like what Jager said about having the cake and the other plated dessert on the same plate.

Edit:  But of course that would mean you having to do the whole cake cutting thing before dinner so that the staff has time to cut up and plate the rest of the cake.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_vent-applying-food-credit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:5adf4a94-d687-4e31-af71-78782b04ab75Post:e6f4c542-b7de-44b8-a23a-e18fb78ea1de">Re: Vent - applying food credit</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, I do think that is ridiculous but I would do as lyn suggested and talk to someone higher up (a manger, etc) to see if they can use the credit towards the appetizers.  If not, I like what Jager said about having the cake and the other plated dessert on the same plate. Edit:  <strong>But of course that would mean you having to do the whole cake cutting thing before dinner so that the staff has time to cut up and plate the rest of the cake.</strong>
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]
    I don't think you'd have to do it before dinner.  At my venue, immediately after dinner we cut the cake.  So they do it early so they have time to plate it and distribute it to the guests while dancing & such are going on.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_vent-applying-food-credit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:5adf4a94-d687-4e31-af71-78782b04ab75Post:aba8393d-a3d0-4f0e-8740-84b10c53b122">Re: Vent - applying food credit</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vent - applying food credit : I don't think you'd have to do it before dinner.  At my venue, immediately after dinner we cut the cake.  So they do it early so they have time to plate it and distribute it to the guests while dancing & such are going on.
    Posted by Jager1219[/QUOTE]

But if they are having a plated dessert and want the cake served at the same time then they will need to cut the cake before dinner. Every wedding I have been to with a plated dessert it comes out right after dinner is complete, thus cutting the cake before dinner to give staff time to plate it.

But I guess this is something to discuss with the venue.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards