Indiana
Options

Northern IN brides: Where'd you get your dress?

I want to start shopping for a dress for my August 2011 wedding.

I live in South Bend, but I'm getting married in my NW Indiana hometown. Can anyone from northern IN recommend a place to get a wedding dress?

I'd prefer to get it from a local shop as opposed to David's. I've been there and haven't found what I'm looking for.

I'm willing to travel! What are your recs?

Re: Northern IN brides: Where'd you get your dress?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I live in South Bend as well.  I went to Bernardo's for the Bride, Davids, and Bridalwear by Peg Ann, I just couldn't find the right dress for me.  I ended up trying this new place in Granger called Andrea's Bridal.  It's a very nice shop.  I was nervous when I walked in because she didn't have a lot of dresses.  The owner, Melanie, just carries one of each style of dress, that way brides can get a feel for what they want.  She pride's herself on customer service.

Anyway, she just happened to have the perfect dress for me.  It should be coming in within the next month.  So, the only thing I can tell you about Andrea's Bridal now is that they have great customer service, and the atmosphere is great there.  It's worth a look.

Bernardo's in South Bend does offer a large selection of dresses, I think they're definitely worth looking into as well.  I didn't go to Greta's Bridal, but they have been around for a while.  I've heard that some there can be very pushy.

Good luck, and remember to have fun! 
  • Options
    Shay022Shay022 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am from Fort Wayne, and I bought my dress from a Fort Wayne store, called the Perfect Dress.

Excellent customer service and great prices, I would highly recommend Lori and her staff.  They are very accomodating and helped me picked the perfect dress!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    x.Brittany.xx.Brittany.x member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought my dress from Bernardo's. I had a really great experience there and the ladies are great. Greta's had a nice selection but there are so many dresses they are like CRAMMED onto the rack I found it difficult to even pull dresses because I was so overwhelmed. If you go there, ask to work with Dorothy. She's a sweetheart.

I also went out to Stephenson's in Elkhart. They have quite a few dresses but the service isn't what you'd expect. People are around if you need help but my friends actually tied up the dresses and we were basically are our own.
  • Options
    gobluebhgobluebh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would suggest Bernardo's for the Bride, Greta's (I would also suggest working with Dorothy), and Stepheson's in Elkhart.  Stephenson's does not have a huge selection.  But, they are definitely worth checking out.  Greta's does have a lot of dresses.  Bernardo's selection is good, but it they are in-between Greta's and Stephenson's.  Bridalwear by Peg Ann is okay.  She has somewhat of a selection...

I live in South Bend.  For myself, I liked Stephenson's selection the best.  Oh, and there is also Affairs to Remember in Middlebury.  It's just a few miles from the Essenhaus.  I really, really liked her selection.  But, I found my dress at the Bridal Superstore by Posie Patch in Indy.  I was down there visiting my Maid of Honor, and we popped in there (found out it's a big oops to go there without an appt on a Saturday...)

Good luck with your search!

If you go with Greta's and need alterations, I highly recommend Diane! 
    We're married!!! 12-12-09
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not a northern IN bride, I'm actually a southern IN bride but I bought my dress from Gate's Bridal World in Vincennes, IN. The customer service is AMAZING! They totally bent over backwards to help me find the perfect dress. I had bought one from a sample sale they had and then changed my mind and they let me return the dress and put the price towards the dress I ordered. Unfortunately they didn't carry the dress I wanted, they didn't even carry the designer! But they managed to get the dress for me, and at a GREAT PRICE!! If you happen to make a trip that far south I would recommend them to ANYONE!! Good luck and happy hunting!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got my dress at Bernardo's in South Bend.  I thought they had the best selection (for me) and the girls are great!  I agree with pp about Greta's having so many dresses just crammed in the racks that its overwhelming.  If they actually pulled what you were looking for, for you it might not be an issue.  But they had me look myself which wasn't easy since its hard to tell what a dress looks like in the bag!  So I really didn't like that.
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    marateamaratea member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    If you're willing to drive to MI, there's a great shop in Coldwater--Toni's Bridal. I bought my dress there, off the rack. They have a good selection, in many sizes. Plus their dresses are reasonably priced (like less than $400 for most). Plus they do free alterations if you buy your dress from them. The ladies that work there are extremely nice and non-judgmental.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow! Thanks, everyone. I had no idea there were so many South Bend area brides on here! I appreciate all of your help.

I'm going shopping at the end of the month and will post if I find my dress!

Emily
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am from the Lafayette area. I got my dress from Chiffon Bridal. I am very happy with my dress so far. I haven't gotten alterations done yet, but they told me that it would be like 4 months for my dress to come in and it only took 2 I think, If you go there talk to Lauren and tell her Katie sent you!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone for the great recommendations! I'm sorry it took me so long to post back.

I fell in love with a dress at Bernardo's, but now I just have to decide if I want to splurge on that dress!

I also had great experiences at Andrea's Bridal in Granger. I suggest you check out both places if you're looking for a dress in Michiana!

Thanks again, everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards