Favors

DIY Hot Chocolate Favors

Hey ladies! I'm doing little hot chocolate kits for the older "kids" at our wedding (ages 12-15)...I'm layering hot chocolate mix, sprinkles, marshmallows & chocolate chips in a clear cellophane bag & tying with a pretty ribbon.

My question is this...how long do you think these will stay fresh? Our wedding is November 10...do you think I can put these together now or do any of the ingredients require me to wait until closer to the day of the wedding?

Any input would be greatly appreciated...thanks!! :)

P.S. the hot chocolate I'm using is just from a bulk Swiss miss container so it would be loose powder, not individual packets...in case that info is relevant! ;)

Re: DIY Hot Chocolate Favors

• I would wait until 2 weeks before max. Most hot cocoa mixes have powdered milk as an ingredient, which can take on a "stale" taste. In addition, the marshmallows are always better fresh!
  • I don't know about you, but as an adult, hot chocolate is delicious! I would offer it to everyone, honestly. As to making it too far in advanced it depends on the recipe you use. I would do it a few days before to ensure that it is fresh.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What fun!!!

If you had containers that could seal reasonably air-tight (like little jars), you could do them now, but if you're going with plastic bags tied shut, then I agree with PP to wait until  < 2 weeks ahead.

Now I'm craving hot chocolate!  And it's been cold and rainy here, so that's a pretty good reason to have some, right?  :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_diy-hot-chocolate-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:cb1d1e48-f1c6-4535-b138-811353e3ddb6Post:2c058de9-7c33-46fb-bead-517dd1d52341">Re:DIY Hot Chocolate Favors</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know about you, but as an adult, hot chocolate is delicious! I would offer it to everyone, honestly. As to making it too far in advanced it depends on the recipe you use. I would do it a few days before to ensure that it is fresh.
    Posted by casswhiting[/QUOTE]

Yes
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What a fun idea! I would wait a while myself also, but how cool, id make them for everyone! Yum now I want hot chocolate!
  • Thanks so much for all the great advice, everyone!  :)  I'll wait until a couple of days before the wedding to make them since I don't have very many to make.  The adults at the wedding are getting wine stoppers that also double as a bottle opener as favors...I would totally make the hot chocolate favors for everyone but with 215 guests and all of my other DIY projects (menus, programs, favor tags/ribbon) and the wedding 1 month away now I think that might send me over the edge...LOL

Hot chocolate does sound pretty delicious right now...cheers!!!  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards