Registry and Gift Forum

What happens....

When all you want is money? 

We are going to have some debt after this and I'd really like to just get money but I don't know how to request that.

Do I just not register and let guests ask me what I want? 

I feel so corny for asking this. 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What happens....

• Don't register and if people ask friends/family what you want (and only if they ask) they can tell them that you are saving up for a (insert what you are saving for). 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If you don't register then you will need to decline a bridal shower. Some guests will want to get you a physical gift, so you should probably make a small registry at one store (like Macys or someplace big). Guests will get the hint.
  • It's not wedding debt. 

It's hospital bills. 
    I have cancer and I'm on chemotherapy so I can't work.
    I have SOME bills that have been taken care of but the smaller offices are billing me and I can't get it written off. I make payments but we wanted to start a family when I'm  better so I wanted to hopefully use what gifts we  might get, to get out of the debt.

That sounds bad, it's hard to explain. I didn't want to start off being married in debt... wedding debt, hospital debt, anything. 

But thanks for the advice. We can always use gift cards, I guess. We have a fully furnished house and MORE than we need so I guess it's just.... frustrating to get stuff we don't need?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Scale back to no wedding then? lol. Because we're doing a wedding on a $1000 budget. I'm not going to NOT marry him because this is what we want to do. I'm not asking for anyone to judge my relationship, I'm just asking for advice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Calm down, no one is judging your relationship! You said you will be in debt after the wedding and people are just trying to help you with advice that you ASKED for. Sorry you are going what you are going thru and hope all works out for you.
  • amcmahon4020amcmahon4020 member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010

I am very sorry to hear of your cancer diagnosis. My mom suffered with it, and I know how difficult it can be.

While I am completely of the mind that asking for cash is classless and tacky, I think there may be a way around it. If you register for things like those prepaid credit cards (available almost anywhere), it's basically like asking for a gift card, with the exception that it can be spent anywhere on anything.

You can use these cards to pay off whatever you want, and people don't feel slighted because it's basically like buying a gift card, which has become an accepted norm in wedding gift giving.

https://www.vanillamastercard.com/home.html?locale=en_US&product=giftcard&csrfToken=

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards