Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

HELP!!

So my fiancee James proposed to me about 3 weeks ago (getting rings on Monday!!) and I'm SUPER stoked. The problem is this - we're having difficulty agreeing on wedding ideas. I'm more inclined to go with a traditional wedding, you know, a more festive Christian wedding, with dancing, singing, the works. My fiancee, however, wants "An oustanding wedding" that we'll remember forever as one that was different from all the rest. 
We sat down and came up with wedding ideas and we didn't see eye-to-eye. I want a picture perfect wedding but I want it to be perfect for the both of us. Any tips or pointers? 

Re: HELP!!

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Basically something...non-traditional. He doesn't want to have a wedding "just like everyone else's," if you get my drift. He says he wants something new and exciting. He wants to keep some tradition but wants to change things up a bit.
  • Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Compromise.  Maybe incorporate something great in the ceremony and have some "traditional" things in the reception.

ETA:  FIL started out our ceremony by announcing the beginning with a clapboard and titling it "The new _____ (our last name) family, take one!" because DH is in the film business.  It was a surprise for DH and I and no one forgot about that.  If you keep it personal to you and DH it won't look out of place, it will look special to the two of you. 
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    His big concern is his family. They're not Christian and he doesn't want to offend them, which I can agree with and I don't want to offend them either, however my faith is very important to me. While he wants to honor my faith as well he's concerned about his family.
  • Options
    Any Christian ceremony can definitely be refined down so it's not overtly religious.  Talk to your officiant, I'm sure he's done many religous-marrying-non-religious ceremonies and can help you make ALL of your family members comfortable.

What you should do is think of the top 3-5 traditional/religious things you want in your wedding and find ways to incorporate them in a non-traditional manner.  He can do the same, have him think of the top 3-5 non-traditional things he would like to do, and try to put a traditional twist on it.

The most important thing is that you guys are willing to compromise and respect each other.  If you keep that in mind, things should keep going smoothly.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_help-13?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:55259a50-e42a-4eaf-a3b9-ca80039595bbPost:9c6ef65a-b9e5-48bf-95aa-3e802fa69073">Re: HELP!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Compromise.  Maybe incorporate something great in the ceremony and have some "traditional" things in the reception.
    Posted by jagore08[/QUOTE]

This.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Ask him to give you details as to what would be "outstanding" and try to incorporate them.  Maybe he means really fun/crazy dancing or say, a choreographed number.  Maybe he means having a bonfire at the reception.  Maybe he means beer pong.  Take the things that would make him think it was "outstanding" and put them together with your vision to come up with a joint celebration.

I'm Christian and marrying an athiest.  We agreed that a prayer for us as a couple is fine, but he doesn't want his vows to say anyting like, "in the name of Jesus" or any of that.  It can work just fine, and my Uncle who is a minister, is working with us to get the perfect ceremony that we will both be comfortable with.  Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards