Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Is a New Years Eve Wedding a bad idea? Also help with wedding venues?

Hi all!!

Congrats to everyone on their upcoming nuptials. I have two main questions.

First off, we are considering doing a winter wedding and inward thinking about maybe doing a NYE wedding, not next year but the following. I love the idea by welcoming a new year as a married couple and what a great reason for a party. Do you think that would be inconvenient to our guests or fun plans to look forward to,

Also we are paying ourselves. Any ideas for inns, B and Bs or barn settings for a super tight budget???

Thank you for your help!

Re: Is a New Years Eve Wedding a bad idea? Also help with wedding venues?

• Options
    edited December 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_is-a-new-years-eve-wedding-a-bad-idea-also-help-with-wedding-venues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:7509bf0a-78f9-4659-b9cc-2b52f6b5460bPost:319721e5-aba0-47e0-b8a9-5e35a1ed27d6">Is a New Years Eve Wedding a bad idea? Also help with wedding venues?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi all!! Congrats to everyone on their upcoming nuptials. I have two main questions. First off, we are considering doing a winter wedding and inward thinking about maybe doing a NYE wedding, not next year but the following. I love the idea by welcoming a new year as a married couple and what a great reason for a party. Do you think that would be inconvenient to our guests or fun plans to look forward to, Also we are paying ourselves. Any ideas for inns, B and Bs or barn settings for a super tight budget??? Thank you for your help!
    Posted by nicolebroganhyphendumas[/QUOTE]

<div>Here's the thing with NYE receptions: they have to be over the top and lavish.  Full open bar. Multi course meal.  Live band or awesome DJ.   NONE of those things are necessary for the average wedding, but on NYE you have to take everything up to a higher level.  Otherwise you'll likely have some pretty irritated guests who would rather be out doing the champagne/nightclub scene.</div><div>
    </div><div>My advice if you're on a super tight budget is to have it either the week after New Year's or have a New Year's Day brunch wedding/reception if it happens to fall on a Saturday or Sunday; brunch can save you a ton of money and who wouldn't love to nurse a New Year's hangover with a mimosa and good company? </div>
  • Options
    I agree with NOLA. If you're going all out, I think a NYE wedding could be really fun and I would attend, as a guest, but remember, too, if you're having people that late, midnight snacks should be served. 

Also, if you're looking for NYE 2014, it's way to early to be thinking about it. I'd wait until at least this summer. I would start a little early if you decide on NYE, but two years IMO is way to early. 
  • Options
    I've been to a few NYE weddings. They have always had a bigger normal if very lavish party atmosphere. Lots more food and drink than other weddings. They have also always been childfree and no elderly people either. Sort of ultra lavish NYE party with a wedding party to kickstart the night - two parties for the price of one
    I really liked them but they were not a laid-back weddings. Very grown up and non-traditional, with lots of glitz. 
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Holidays, especially New Years Eve/New years Day tend to be more expensive. Many venues run their own parties on those days so you'd have to start looking early for a venue, music and other services. Out of town guests will pay higher travel, lodging costs during the holiday.

Winter is off season for weddings in New England, except for the holidays. So if you choose another, non holiday date, you may be able to find some deep discounts.

• Options
    I agree with the prior posters. I have a friend who's daughter is getting married tomorrow, New Year's Eve. It's a black tie wedding, at a very expensive venue. But prices is no object for them.

It sounds like you want to do this with a lower budget. Unless you set the guest list at a lower number to save money, AND choose a venue that is not traditionally a NYE type of place, you are going to be competing with others who want to rent the venue simply for a NYE party. Prices will be higher. A B&B might be an answer.

My best advice is to make friends with the brides on your local board. Our local board is active, and the brides can always make recommendations on venues, caterers, other wedding vendors that are budget friendly. Plus they know your area much better.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Thank you all!! So much to think about!!
  • Options
    Personally I wouldn't mind going to a NYE wedding that was low budget.  My plans for tomorrow night include sitting on my a$$ eating chinese food at home and most likely going to bed before midnight.  So, I wouldn't need an all out lavish party to make me happy.  
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    As a guest, a NYE wedding would be fun for me. However, what about transportation?

I live in San Diego and last night a drunk guy t-boned a police cruiser after running a red light. The fire department needed the jaws of life to rescue him. The night before, a drunk girl got on the freeway going in the wrong direction in a large pickup truck. She hit a VW Bug head on, killing the driver (the drunk is just fine). As a result, I'm not going out on NYE.

How can you guarantee that your guests have safe options after enjoying an open bar all night? Transportation concerns are usually not addressed until you are much closer to the wedding. However, in your case, you should figure it out before planning a NYE wedding.

Anniversary

• Options
    Yeah, unfortunately people are really expecting to party hard that time of year.  Budgets are normally very difficult to control for weddings, and that gets magnified when people are looking to doubly celebrate.

I'd recommend picking your second favorite date.  Maybe a Christmas wedding, or getting married on your anniversary? (What we did, which doubles for helping us be lazy about remembering dates, lol).
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    My brother got married on New Year's Eve four years ago in the middle of that huge blizzard that dumped 18 " of snow on us.  (i'm also in Boston.) 12 guests flying in that day got rerouted or stuck at an airport and didn't make it to the wedding.  22 local guests decided not to venture out.   Our 40 minute trip between the church and the reception took 90 minutes because of the weather.  You never know if you will have horrible driving conditions in a wiinter wedding.  
  • Options
    Re:  Help with wedding venues. 
    Friends used the Whittemore Robbins house  in Arlington for a small wedding.  They brought in a caterer for high tea. 
  • Options
    My friends had a low key wedding on NYE in Texas. Sorry it say it was disappointing and boring.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I agree with NOLA. If you're going all out, I think a NYE wedding could be really fun and I would attend

[url=http://www.alladsclassified.com] classified website [/url]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards