Rhode Island
Options

bridesmaids dresses?

Hi Ladies!

I'm taking my girls shopping for the first time in July, and I'm looking for suggestions...

Where did you find the best selection?
Where did you end up purchasing dresses for your ladies?
Any other recommendations you can send my way would be extremely helpful.

Thank you in advance!!

Re: bridesmaids dresses?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi!

First, I recommend feeling out what your girls' budgets are like (discretely) if they are paying for dresses, and taking a hard look at your budget if you are paying.  We never like to think of this when shopping, but budgets cause huge headaches.

For me, I couldn't pay for all their dresses, so I wanted to be sensitive to their budgets (and the fact that - let's be honest - they may never wear the dress again).  I also really wanted the girls to be able to pick out a dress that flattered their figure and skin tone so that they would all feel beautiful and comfortable.  Also, my girls are scattered literally across the country, so I ruled out any place that would be super local or have hard-to-find stores.

Considering the issues with budgets, and needing a range of selections in color, size, and style, we ended up at David's Bridal.  I know it's very hit or miss depending on where you go, but that really was the best / least stressful option for any of us.  It hasn't been a great experience, honestly,... my BMs ran into some sales people who would not follow instructions.  But no one is paying more than $100 for their dress, and they all look stunning and feel beautiful in their dresses.... and that's all that I wanted.

Your situation may be different: maybe your bridal party is smaller / more similar or you are able to pay for all their dresses......  so here are other places I considered:

Ann Taylor
    JCrew
    White House Black Market
    Nordstroms (or other "regular" clothing stores w/ out a specific bridal department,... for a less bridesmaids-y look)
    BCBG
    Pricilla's of Boston

Good luck!!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My girls bought theirs at David's too.  I have a large bridal party.  We liked that they had a variety of sizes for the girls to try ie they were not all a size 6!  The dresses were inexpensive there and they had a lot to choose from.  The dresses literally came in two weeks so don't believe them when they say you have to order 6 months in advance.  The service there was awful, but you get what you pay for.  We had an idea what we wanted to try going in so that helped.  I would start your search there as the girls can try on as many as they want in whatever size.  Although we bought then there, everyone had alterations done elsewhere.
    If you are looking for great service and personalized attention I recommend the Bridal Shoppe on Warwick Ave.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have suggested the place I got my bridesmaids dresses to EVERYONE! haha.  Party Dress Express in Fall River.  There is a HUGE selection and the staff is very helpful.  The BEST part of the whole thing is that...when you buy a dress from them, ALL ALTERATIONS ARE FREE!! :):) I think there is also an option to get 20% off the dress if you want to opt out of the free alterations (in case you already have another place for that lined up).  I not only got my bridesmaids dresses here, but my flower girl dresses, my gown, and my mother also ordered her dress as well! Hope this helps :):)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got all of ours at Alexandra's in Fall River. They were so nice and knowledgable. Great selection too!
    Did not do well at Ana's Bridals, two not so great experiences there. But they do have a decent selection.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to Cinderellas in Warwick and chose short dresses in the same line and each bridesmaid picked which one fit their body/style. I am super happy with the way it came out. The line was Alfred Sung. They had a great selection. Also some great Liz Fields dresses if you prefer long dresses. Plus Scott ( the owner) is AMAZING.
    Constantly Cooking and loving it! Check out my blog and enjoy! http://aroundthetableri.blogspot.com/ Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We found the best selection at Party Dress Express in Fall River MA. It really isnt a long ride at all, and there were just so many options. The girls found the dress that they really loved and felt good in, the prices were great, and the alterations were included in the price. They also have a great selection of Flower Girl and Mother of the Bride dresses. All the alterations are included in those prices too, and if all your girls decide they would rather go somewhere else to get the alterations, PDE takes 20% off! We had a great experience with them so far, I can't recommend them enough.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I steered clear of traditional bridesmaid's dresses & shops.  I found the dresses to be uninspired & expensive.  I found my ladies these beautiful dresses from Nordstrom's for just $68 each on sale!  Who says BM dresses need to come from a bridal shop?  You can score big when you think outside the box!  I loved this dress SO MUCH, I purchased one for myself.  I wanted to be considerate of my girls sense of style & budgets.  :)  

I also went to Prov Place and purchased every single size they had in this dress so we had a "stockpile" once they went on sale.  All my girls but one were out of state.  Nordstrom allows returns for up to 1 year so it was just perfect for this kind of thing! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies!!! I have a small bridal party, 3 girls and I am going to reach out now and feel them out for budget restrictions. I really appreciate all of your help and I will keep you posted on how we make out!
  • Options
    Emma428Emma428 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

You also need to look at Ana's Bridal in East Providence. I got my girl's dresses there and when I say she has EVERYTHING.... she does!! Very good prices and she literally has dresses from magazines. The girls there are soooo helpful! They also offer alterations for a very good price. I got my gown in NYC and because of travel I lwanted alterations done local. Ana's Bridal is also doing mine. Which I thought to be amazing since I didn't buy fom them. Trust me on this one. Worth the visit plus they are open till 9pm!!!

• Options
    edited December 2011

You should also look at Wishing Well bridal in East Providence. My sister is the only bridesmaid, but the prices were great. HTH

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards