Plus-Sized

Big belly, looking for a dress for party a week after wedding.

Hello!  My wedding is November 3, and we are having a second party in New Orleans (his hometown) the week after our wedding.  It will require a nice dress, of which I have none. I have a very round belly, which is tough to hide in dresses.  I'm looking at this in Macy's, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not?

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/marina-plus-size-dress-cap-sleeve-lace-cocktail-dress?ID=531604&upc_ID=30084400&Quantity=1&seqNo=2&EXTRA_PARAMETER=BAG

I wear a 16 in jeans normally.  I tried this on in gray at the store yesterday, but the 20 was too big to tell what it would be in the right fit.  I'd wear Spanx type stuff underneath of course to suck in the gut and smooth my sides.

What do you ladies with similar bodies think?  I have decent legs, so I definitely want a knee length dress.  My torso is just so bloaty and yucky looking/feeling no matter how much I do for it. 

Does anybody know where else I can find a good a-line, or vintage style cocktail dress perhaps that will fit my shape better?  I have no clue where to find the adorable dresses I always see chubby girls wearing that look good.  My MOH is an apple shape, so she can find so many cute ones with narrow tops but I can't wear them.

EDIT I mean my MOH is a pear shape, small on top.  I am a round old apple.
Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Re: Big belly, looking for a dress for party a week after wedding.

• that dress is very pretty, but it looks very fitted around the middle.  If you are trying to hide your belly, I'm not sure this is a good option.  How did it feel when you had it on?
  • i would say try and find a very structured dress this will help create a shape for you also as you said good undergarmets are a must
  • try kiyonna, eloquii, avenue, torrid, lane bryant or monif c. <all online stores,with amazing dresses that are true to size>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i wear dresses that fit the waist but flow down. that looks more fitted in the tummy area.

i would suggest buying it online and returning it in store if it doesn't fit. you get free shipping for over $100 so you wouldn't be losing any money. :)
  • I have the same shape as you, I have an apple shape. even at my thinnest, 145 lbs I still had a tummy. I even had a guy I dated back when i was thinner say "you are so thin everywhere else but your stomach" GEEZ thanks, obvi he wasnt a keeper.I weight almost 100 lbs more than that now... so i sitll kept the same shape.

I tend to wear dresses that have an empire waist but are shorter (as I also dont mind my legs!). Wrap dresses also work REALLY well on me.
    I bought a few dresses recently on target.com in their plus section and I bought a maxi dress on Eloquii that I got a ton of compliments on this weekend when I wore it to a wedding.

I also have really realy good luck at Nordstrom! Adrianna Papell fits our "shape" VERY well.
    This is the dress i wore to my shower and I loved it and throught it was super flattering.

www.weddedeverafter.blogspot.com
    167 Invited image 34 Attending image Declined 4 image Still Waiting 129 image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_big-belly-looking-for-a-dress-for-party-a-week-after-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:495a9957-bc31-459d-bb42-95a24aa7b9d0Post:2020f4c2-8a33-4732-b832-e4413cb6c9b1">Re: Big belly, looking for a dress for party a week after wedding.</a>:
    [QUOTE]that dress is very pretty, but it looks very fitted around the middle.  If you are trying to hide your belly, I'm not sure this is a good option.  How did it feel when you had it on?
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

Well it was loose but maybe because it was a size or two too big?  I am very bad at dress shopping.  Maybe it needs to flair more from a high waist...but then I feel I look pregnant.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_big-belly-looking-for-a-dress-for-party-a-week-after-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:495a9957-bc31-459d-bb42-95a24aa7b9d0Post:23cf9dcb-3f83-4979-b4d5-d4f3f0025171">Re: Big belly, looking for a dress for party a week after wedding.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Agreed with the PP.  Did you try on dresses like the one below? <a href="http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/ruby-rox-plus-size-dress-short-sleeve-ruffled-faux-wrap?ID=654026&CategoryID=37038#fn=sp%3D1%26spc%3D479%26ruleId%3D19%26slotId%3D25" rel="nofollow">http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/ruby-rox-plus-size-dress-short-sleeve-ruffled-faux-wrap?ID=654026&CategoryID=37038#fn=sp%3D1%26spc%3D479%26ruleId%3D19%26slotId%3D25</a>
    Posted by Jlp818[/QUOTE]

I did not - is this a better shape for a round stomach?  It's so hard to tell, you know plus sized models still never have bellies like mine.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_big-belly-looking-for-a-dress-for-party-a-week-after-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:495a9957-bc31-459d-bb42-95a24aa7b9d0Post:b334a124-313b-4e08-a82a-bfaa493c59db">Re: Big belly, looking for a dress for party a week after wedding.</a>:
    [QUOTE]i would say try and find a very structured dress this will help create a shape for you also as you said good undergarmets are a must
    Posted by tiffielynn91[/QUOTE]

Sorry, what do you mean by structured exactly?  Maybe not a thin or flowy material...?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_big-belly-looking-for-a-dress-for-party-a-week-after-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:495a9957-bc31-459d-bb42-95a24aa7b9d0Post:52ebd7be-2b6c-4027-b9ab-69b83f2815cb">Re: Big belly, looking for a dress for party a week after wedding.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have the same shape as you, I have an apple shape. even at my thinnest, 145 lbs I still had a tummy. I even had a guy I dated back when i was thinner say "you are so thin everywhere else but your stomach" GEEZ thanks, obvi he wasnt a keeper.I weight almost 100 lbs more than that now... so i sitll kept the same shape. I tend to wear dresses that have an empire waist but are shorter (as I also dont mind my legs!). Wrap dresses also work REALLY well on me. I bought a few dresses recently on target.com in their plus section and I bought a maxi dress on Eloquii that I got a ton of compliments on this weekend when I wore it to a wedding. I also have really realy good luck at Nordstrom! Adrianna Papell fits our "shape" VERY well. This is the dress i wore to my shower and I loved it and throught it was super flattering.  
    Posted by i2012do[/QUOTE]

Oh okay so wraps for sure!  I don't get why I'm this shape, I have a really strong core from kickboxing so it pisses me off.  I never knew where to find plus sized dresses besides Lane Bryant and Catherines and sometimes theirs can look too old or matronly for me.  I will check that designer for sure, thank you!!!  My MOH, the pear, has had such great luck with Ralph Lauren but no way I could wear them.

I too was about 135 pounds and have a belly I had to suck in always. 

• I hear ya. I just recently came to terms with the fact that i couldnt squeeze into dresses anymore at places lie Ny nCo and some old navy stuff that used to fit me because it ran large. so I have been searching online for places.
    I have found that Macys has a ton of stuff in the + department, and also  have found great stuff at Fashion Bug and Dress barn!
    www.weddedeverafter.blogspot.com
  • Macy's was good yesterday, and we have a seven floor one in downtown Chicago so I should try there.  But everything seemed to show my stomach too much!

• www.weddedeverafter.blogspot.com
  • That is very cute, just seems a little too casual for a second reception but nice for summer.  I wish I had no issue wearing dresses at my size - I wear a 16 normally.  I always come off looking bloated and weird.

I appreciate all the input and help!  I'm going to look online and post other stuff I find from the suggestions given.

• edited July 2012
    I have the same body shape where I look preganant ugh! and i'm 205lbs and I don't mind the weight just the stomach...so what I did was invest in a body magic for those times when I want to have that hour glass shape and no stomach bulge..it does wonders
  • I've got some good Spanx that I'll wear.  and I just got the letter that my wedding dress is in!!!  Yikes gotta get into those Spanx soon.

• I have the same problem. I usually go for empire/a-line dresses. 

Nordstom has a feature where you can search by silhouette. 
  • Okay I think I took advice and ordered this in eggplant purple:

http://www.kiyonna.com/plus-size-clothing/Wrap_Dresses/11112201

I got it in two sizes to see what fits best, free returns.  This brand has some really pretty stuff!  I got the faux wrap because honestly I don't know how a wrap dress stays shut and I'd be too worried it would untie.

• I'm glad you went with a kiyonna dress! YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED!!! The fabric is great and the look is flawless :-) Enjoy and post pics!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • scstar17scstar17 member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012
    It arrived already!  The color is not quite as purple as I thought BUT a 1 fits perfectly and feels comfortable.  It's the perfect length and my Spanx underneath help a lot.  I think I'm going to get more of their clothes when I exchange the other size I bought...wow!

Okay so how do I post pictures on this board??? 

• I have the exact same belly I usually go for emipre waist or high waisted dresses that flow.  While the dress you have picked is beautiful; I don't know if you got it in your size that you would feel comfortable.  
    Igigi is a great online store with beautiful clothing.  I saw this and it reminded me of your dress, http://www.igigi.com/leigh-lace-dress-in-gold.html.  You can get a size up from your measurement and almost any tailor can make it a perfect fit.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards