September 2012 Weddings

Hello Anxiety :(

We met with the architect last night for a preliminary discussion regarding the renovations to FMIL's house (soon to be our family home). The meeting went very well and we were all very impressed with him, his work and his ideas. I did however start to feel my heart picking up its pace when he started asking about what kind of cabinets I envisioned for the kitchen and if I wanted a double or single standing shower in our en suite... jeepers, I'm already planning a wedding!! I've been really calm with all the wedding planning and I'm the type of person who always juggles several things at once so I didn't expect to feel that overwhelmed.We're looking at 400K+ renovation and that alone freaks the hell outta me let alone picking tiles! hahaOnly 2.5 years ago I was barely getting by at a job I loved but offered no security (or real pay) and now I'm planning a big wedding and major renos. It makes me a little uneasy even though it's all good things! FI's mom is giving us the house, so the money we make selling ours will go towards the renos, and we'll be left with a much smaller mortgage than if we'd buy a single home ourselves. Plus, FI won't have to care for 3 properties (ours, his moms and the cottage) by having his mother live in a granny flat off the house. It's a great opportunity but it's just a lot to take on all at once. We're looking at having all the renos done within 2 years; we will try to sell next spring so that we aren't living in renos.Oh and did I mention kids? Oh ya, we're planning on starting to try next Spring too... HELLO ANXIETY!!!
invitationcombo Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Hello Anxiety :(

• edited January 2012
    Oh boy!  I can see where your anxiety is coming from but the bigger picture is amazing.  Life is a rollercoaster and it will all be part of the fun to look back in 5-10 years and think that you were nuts but it was all worth it.
  • Exciting  stuff!

We finalized plans on our new house on Friday and stuff should be getting going soon.  I'm excited, but nervous too because I just can't visualize the house, and it frustrates FI.  I'm afraid it will be put in and I'll not like the direction it's facing or something, and it will be too late.
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_hello-anxiety?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:fc578063-23b1-4aa6-953d-7951e4fa7fe0Post:5ae429b9-755f-4799-b243-bfc67bfdce0f">Re: Hello Anxiety :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]Exciting  stuff! We finalized plans on our new house on Friday and stuff should be getting going soon.  I'm excited, but nervous too because I just can't visualize the house, and it frustrates FI.  I'm afraid it will be put in and I'll not like the direction it's facing or something, and it will be too late.
    Posted by adktd2boots[/QUOTE]

Now that's exciting!  Building from scratch is my DREAM!  We live in the old  Hood Milk plantation.  While I love the layout and the openness I wish I could rebuild it but better with more rooms.  We'd never be able to afford it in NH or MA.

FI has a thing about which direction a house faces.  We crossed off about 20 listings because they didn't face the direction he wanted.  He said it causes more ware and tear if its not lined up correctly with the sun pattern. lol
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_hello-anxiety?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:fc578063-23b1-4aa6-953d-7951e4fa7fe0Post:1afd82c3-636c-472c-bcf5-d7f471b7d44d">Re: Hello Anxiety :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh boy!  I can see where your anxiety is coming from but the bigger picture is amazing.  Life is a rollercoaster and it will all be part of the fun to look back in 5-10 years and think that you were nuts but it was all worth it.
    Posted by DirtyWater[/QUOTE]

Absolutely!
    I know that it's going to be wonderful. We are basically keeping the frame but layout and everything will change (and another level will be added). The property value in that area of town is amazing too so it's an awesome investment. I love that we'll be able to customize our home to our specific needs but still be able to live where FI grew up :)
    invitationcombo Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I totally hear you!  Our living situation is causing added stress to the wedding planning, which I felt I had all under control until the last few weeks.  I too juggle many things on a daily basis, large and small, and this wedding planning & house hunting situation is getting the better of me.  I admire the girls on here who have dealt with job changes on top of everything too.  Trying to remember to BREATHE! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sending positive vibes your way! I hope all your renovating plans go well.  I remember the stress when we bought our house. Ugh.
    Photobucket
  • Holy Schmoly!!  I couldn't even imagine.  Luckily enough for me the wedding is the only thing on my plate at the moment.  Well that's an understatment but the only major thing on my plate lol.  Good luck with everything, sounds like you guys have it all figured out though.
    Out with the Old and in with the New!! Time to make history!
  • ErinW1912ErinW1912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012
    That is alot of take on but just remember to lean on your FI. I remember those days of renovating a house my family did it when I was in high school and we lived with my uncle for a few months while the major renovations happened and then lived in the house when other renovations were happening-we got to wear shoes all the time in the house b/c of all the saw dust.  It sounds like you have a great architect. He will ask you alot of questions but just remember the more questions he ask the better b/c the house will look how you and your FI envision. You are brave I cannot imagine having my FMIL right next door. My inlaws will be in the same town and I love them but right next door would scare me that they would visit all the time atleast you have a great babysitter. Good Luck and let us know how the renovations go. 
  • Ah!! These are all such exciting things, though!! I love all of it. Enjoy it :):)
    0403_0929W BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards