October 2013 Weddings

Planning so far ahead

My name is Missa, and my wedding date October 26, 2013. It is a longer engagement then I would have wanted, but there is good reasoning behind it. I always wanted an October wedding but my FBIL is getting married Sept. 2012. They have been engaged to two years, and I didn't want to cause any strife or problems with my future in-law family by getting married so quickly after them, especially after such a shorter engagement. I know we should just do what we want but weddings are very important in my FI's family and it would cause too much drama, and hurt feelings. I don't want that.

But I am having a hard time coming up with a time line. When should I start to plan? When should I start to put down deposits? When should I start to buy decor, supplies, and accessories? I have no background to go back on because my small family always had such short engagements. My mom and dad got married at the courthouse. My brother got married within a month of being engaged, and my sister got engaged last night, she is planning the wedding for this August.

What have you girls gotten done so far? Any tips on how to make it less complicated?

For background: We are having an outdoor wedding at my future in-laws estate. It is a very beautiful ranch plot that was turned into more of a rose garden/cottage home over the past twenty years after their Grandfather retired from farming. It is a little bit of a dream for both me and FI's family to have someone get married there, so I am trying to have an hallowedding that will be the best of both worlds: normal but offbeat. It's a real sign of compromise because I am as abnormal as it gets while my FI is very normal. Even though us and our families couldn't be more different over the years we have all bonded so well that I already feel like we are all family. It just the planning will be a little different because instead of venue I have to think of chairs, decor, tables, landscaping, city ordinances.

This is a little bit of my introduction to TheKnot, and please feel free to tell me your story about planning an Oct. 2013 wedding too. I would love to get to know some fellow Oct. 2013 brides too. TYIA for any advice, it is well welcomed.

Re: Planning so far ahead

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards