Michigan-Detroit
Options

Tell Us Tuesday

What is your favorite book that you read in highschool?  What is your favorite book in general?  Do you have any good book recommendations?

Re: Tell Us Tuesday

• Options
    missmelanie81missmelanie81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I cant remember any books I loved in HS, but in elementary school...I loved the R.L Stine books! Right now Im reading a set of love stories. There are 4 books in the series and its about 4 girlfriends who run their own wedding buisness. Ones the baker, ones the floriest, ones the photograpgher and one is the planner. In each book one of them ends up falling in love. Im on the 3rd book and just love it! Here is a link to them:

http://us.penguingroup.com/static/pages/features/bride-quartet/index.html

I dont know that I have a favorite book ever....but I did really enjoy the twilight books.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
    200image 167image 32image 1image RSVP Date: May 1st
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if I ever read an entire book in High school. However, after graduating I have started loving reading for fun.

Right now I have a book half started that is just okay. The new tv shows have set me back in reading.

My all time favorite books or the Shopoholice series by Sophie Kinsella. I actually love all her books. I usually read chick lit type books. Fun easy and I can't put down or pick up when ever I want to.

I got a Kindle for Christmas last year and I love it. I follow a few blogs that tell you all the free books you can download for your kindle. Right now I have about 25 books downloaded to read.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I honestly don't remember much of what I read in highschool.  I know I read a couple good ones in college.

I think the best books I read for school were A Million Little Pieces, Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mocking Bird, and Lucky (I read this my senior year in highschool and it definitely was not assigned reading.  We chose a book of our choice and did a project on it). 

I fought the Twilight craze for as long as I possibly could, and to be honest I've only read the last book (The rest I've just seen movies) and it was amazing. If I ever get a job that lets me have a life, I plan on reading the whole series.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    PhoneCardLadyPhoneCardLady member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    I love the books by Mitch Album.  There were a few times I broke down and cried my eyes out over them!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_tell-tuesday-107?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:1d5c019a-5ec3-42cb-aa9c-10a08bcc168dPost:34596902-2c3f-4b10-aa29-f3a170dd051e">Re: Tell Us Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]I cant remember any books I loved in HS, but in elementary school...I loved the R.L Stine books! Right now Im reading a set of love stories. There are 4 books in the series and its about 4 girlfriends who run their own wedding buisness. Ones the baker, ones the floriest, ones the photograpgher and one is the planner. In each book one of them ends up falling in love. Im on the 3rd book and just love it! Here is a link to them: <a href="http://us.penguingroup.com/static/pages/features/bride-quartet/index.html" rel='nofollow'>http://us.penguingroup.com/static/pages/features/bride-quartet/index.html</a> I dont know that I have a favorite book ever....but I did really enjoy the twilight books.
    Posted by missmelanie81[/QUOTE]

<div>LOVED that series. I couldn't put it down.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm also hooked on all of Emily Giffin's books. Something Borrowed was her first one and was made into a movie that was out this summer. </div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Meegles4Meegles4 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Oh gosh, I can't think of favorites EVER. There are just too many. As for rec's, I've loved The Hunger Games, Unwind (another Young Adult book), American Wife, Room, The Other Boleyn Girl/The Boleyn Inheritance, and One Day, just to name a few!
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My favorite book from highschool is probably Catcher in the Rye although I have a feeling if I reread it, I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much.

My favorite series is by far the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich.  They are fun, light mysteries that just crack me up.  So good!  I've also enjoyed the Shopaholic series and the books my Emily Giffin.

If you haven't already, you should check out goodreads.com.  It is a great site to keep track of what books you've read (and more importantly what you thought of them!) as well as a neat way to search for new books.
  • Options
    drewmwdrewmw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm totally into "classic" type literature. In high school, my favorite book was Hemmingway's The Old Man and the Sea. I just loved the imagery and the emotion. I also really liked William Faulkner's As I Lay Dying. The way in which it is written is so unique, I thought it was really well done.

My favorite book of all time is Black Elk Speaks. I love historical books. For anyone who is interested in history or native american (Lakota) culture, I highly recommend it. It's beautiful.

Yesterday, I just started reading A River Runs Through It. I like it so far :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Created by Wedding Favors

Wedding Planning and DIY bio Updated 05/15/12
    image 167 Made the list
    image 115 Accept
    image 46 Decline
    image 6 Not ready to decide
    RSVP deadline: June 8
  • Options
    MMRoberts11MMRoberts11 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Catcher in the Rye and To Kill a Mocking Bird were my favorites from high school.  What I mostly read now is all psychology or brain related stuff though so I won't do any recommendations. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_tell-tuesday-107?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:1d5c019a-5ec3-42cb-aa9c-10a08bcc168dPost:7a1088f2-f603-4552-b685-3d03cd6c124d">Re: Tell Us Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love the books by Mitch Album.  There were a few times I broke down and cried my eyes out over them!
    Posted by PhoneCardLady[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm currently reading Mitch Albom's <em>For One More Day</em></div><div><em>
    </em></div><div>My favorite book - I didn't read it <em>for </em>high school but I was in high school when I read it - was/is <em>Redeeming Love. </em>A love story, if it wasn't obvious. It was like 500 pages and I read it like anyone else in the world reads Harry Potter (meaning I read it fast). [:</div>
  • Options
    vk2204vk2204 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My favorite book in school was The Crucible. My teacher had us "perform" it in class, that is probably why I got so into it.

I have to admit... I am a huge Twihard. I boycotted it for as long as I could until I saw the first movie and I fell for it. I have read all of the books, and have seen all of the movies and I CANNOT wait until the last one comes out.

But I also love mystery/thriller books. Mary Higgins Clark is one of my favorite authors.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_tell-tuesday-107?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:1d5c019a-5ec3-42cb-aa9c-10a08bcc168dPost:9577fa7a-5c1b-4f49-ab31-8a6b64d1d02c">Re: Tell Us Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]anything Maya Angelou wrote. She is an amazing woman.
    Posted by mtishawt[/QUOTE]

<div>Me too!  She is my idol. :)</div><div>
    </div><div>My favorite one of late is The Help, which if you should read before you go see the movie.  </div>
  • Options
    missmelanie81missmelanie81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lonton-Can you share the blog?
    200image 167image 32image 1image RSVP Date: May 1st
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The webiste is http://www.pixelofink.com/. I get daily emails from them which are really helpful so sign up if you can. I also follow them on facebook.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't remember anything I read except for Animal Farm. I loved that book. Other than that, I'd love to read, but I think with my adhd or my wanting to sleep instead, takes over and I just don't read. Unless it's Magazines lol.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think my favorite book in High School was Wuthering Heights. I was a very dramatic teenager. I haven't re-read the book, but I recently watched the most recent Masterpiece Theater interpretation and I have to say, Heathcliff was a manipulative jerk! Its interesting how life experience changes your reaction to these things. 

I have several favorites now. I love Sense and Sensibility and pretty much all things Jane Austen. But I also really like Sci-Fi/Fantasy. My favorite in that genre is American Gods by Neil Gaiman. If you're at all into mythology it is a really cool story. If you like a steamy historical fiction, Outlander by Diana Gabaldon is pretty hot. There's a whole series, but I prefer the first book by far. The rest gets a little too heavy/weird for me. 
    185829_10150421989590405_571240404_17334789_3544435_n April 2012 Siggy Challenge Furry Babies Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    carpediem27carpediem27 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In HS I fell in love with Shakespear and the Greek tragedies and plays. My favorite was probably Medea (looking back, I see a definite link between the revenge theme of Medea and the bad realationship I was in at the time, go figure).

In general, my favorite books are The Thornbirds by Colleen McCullogh and Hearts In Atlantis by Stephen King.

I am currently reading Game of Thrones, the first book that the HBO series in based on and I love it. I cant wait to read them all.

I also like the Ann Rice vampire and witch books, and the Charlaine Harris books that the show True Blood is based (loosely, at this point) on.

My other favorite kind of book is biographies of rock bands and all of Pamela Des Barres books :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards