South Carolina-Charleston

Cocktail Reception vs. Buffet?

We are on a very limited budget for the Charleston, SC area... We are wondering if people in this area have found it less expensive to do a cocktail reception with heavy hor'doevres or more of a buffet style? Any advice and recommendations on vendors in this area would be greatly appreciated!!

Re: Cocktail Reception vs. Buffet?

• We did a BBQ buffet reception for 160 people. Our reception took place during dinner time, so I felt the need to serve our guests dinner.

If we had went with the 7pm (Friday)wedding or 3pm (Sunday)wedding, then we probably would have done heavy hor'doevres. I think part of it depends on what time ou plan on having your wedding/reception.

P.S. We had some friends get married before we did and priced a dessert reception and an hor'doevres reception. They told us that it was about the same price for them to do a buffet reception.

• We had a sit down lunch on a Sunday for 30 people with open bar for beer and wine only.  It was a little under $2k I think at McCrady's.
  • We used Hamby's catering. All the food was set up on different tables through out the reception. I liked that so we didn't have a bunch of people standing in a buffet line for an hour. Mostly finger foods so people could mingle and eat at the same time. The food so delicious. They work with Snyder Rentals who brought in all the tables and chairs.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards