Military Brides

name changing question

I am getting married in 2 weeks over my spring break, my fiancé is a Marine. In May I graduate from West Virginia University and will be moving down with him. I want to take his last name but I’m not sure exactly how it works, what steps do I have to do? How soon after I change my name do I have to change my passport and drivers license (which are both N.J.)? I want to change my last name ASAP but I also am going to be changing my driver’s license once I move there. I also have to enroll in DEERS and Tricare and get my spouse ID the day after I get married if I wait to change my name until I move down there do I have to change it again for deers etc. ? Am I better off changing it right away then enrolling in deers , Tricare, and getting my spouse ID ?

Re: name changing question

• I didn't change my name, but I wanted to point out your future husband is a Marine, not a marine. That's an important difference. 

Your marriage license will be the first step in changing your name. It should ask if you want to change it, and you'll need it for all your changes. I didn't enroll in DEERS or Tricare for like two months because H ended up leaving four days after the wedding.

And lastly, speaking of name changes, if I were you I would ask that this profile get deleted and you choose a profile name without your first/last name, birth year, etc. Especially if you're going to talk about where you live, are planning to live, or where you go to school. It's never too early to start learning about PERSEC and OPSEC. 

Congrats on your marriage, and you're a brave girl to get married right before finals!
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • I believe you can either have an knot administrator change it if you email them or else create a whole new account and have them delete this one.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If you never get any grammar or spelling right, get capitalizing Marine right. It seems like NBD, but it really is.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Lol. 
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • In Response to Re:name changing question:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: name changing question:If you never get any grammar or spelling right, get capitalizing Marine right. It seems like NBD, but it really is.Posted by WishIcouldbeinthe'stanOkay lol this is an internet blog it was a typo. Please calm down you're overreacting a little. Posted by KimSD[/QUOTE]
    I think you're the one that's overreacting.
  • This is not a blog.  This is a forum.  Either way, putting a bit of effort into using correct grammar and spelling not only shows respect to the people reading your post, but also shows you have a bit of respect for yourself.  
  • ok wow, aside from the silly captialization issue.... you can change your name with your marriage certificate that you then need to change anything else. It takes like a week or so for the certificate to come back before you can change your license and everything. You can bring your marriage certificate to get your id and enroll in Tricare and stuff. There are websites that for a small fee will change your name on everything like your credit cards/ license/ passport/ social security card all of that fun stuff.  www.missnowmrs.com is the one my officiant suggested to me (so i trust it). hope this helps
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_name-changing-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:8971ca5a-aace-44b6-ae2d-8bc397c94300Post:f5e7989e-4ecf-4375-9e0f-4fde225e0ea6">Re: name changing question</a>:
    [QUOTE]ok wow, aside from the silly captialization issue.... 
    Posted by embreen[/QUOTE]

<div>See, you might think it's silly, but a lot of Marines take it pretty seriously. It's a title, and thus it should be capitalized. It's an earned through hard work, blood, sweat, and tears title. </div><div>
    </div><div>Everyone gets corrected on it at some point, they usually never forget again, and all is well. </div>
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Im almost positive that you can put your new name automatically on your souse id even if you haven't changed everything else yet. That's what z friend of mine did.
  • In Response to Re:name changing question:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: name changing question:ok wow, aside from the silly captialization issue....nbsp;Posted by embreenSee, you might think it's silly, but a lot of Marines take it pretty seriously. It's a title, and thus it should be capitalized. It's an earned through hard work, blood, sweat, and tears title.nbsp;Everyone gets corrected on it at some point, they usually never forget again, and all is well.nbsp; Posted by WishIcouldbeinthe'stan[/QUOTE]

Although I wouldnt have been slightly more mild with wording she's right idk how other branches are but the Marine corps is pretty hard core about EVERYTHING.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards