Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

THE Dress? The One? What if it doesn't happen?

I'm getting married October 9th and I still don't have a dress.

We got engaged in February and had our venue, band, planner, etc in two weeks and I've never looked back but for some reason The Dress didn't show up in the same way.

I honestly didn't have super high expectations. I just thought I would look through some magazines, find my style, and go try some on. Maybe my body didn't match up with the styles I liked the most. But we are also have an outdoor fall wedding at a beautiful but remote rustic lodge and I never imagined myself in a big full bridal gown. Maybe something more like the Maggie Sottero Desintations line.

I was thinking I would have the dress made, and I started working on some things with my amazing seamstress. We've bought fabric, etc, sketched some things, but nothing I've been really excited about or was really solid about.

Fast forward to last weekend. I went to bridal salon two hours away from my house on the way back from a trip to look at another dress. I had my fiance with me and tried on a few gowns, although I had no intention of telling him my final selection.

There was one that I walked out of the dressing room and he got all choked up. He couldn't even look at me. The salon cuts the tags out, but after hours of endless research I discoved it was the Maggie Sottero Chardonany.

http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?keywordText=chardonnay&keywordType=any&page=0&pageSize=15&style=S5261

I never imagined myself in a ball gown, with tulle, but it looks amazing on. I'm not a fan of my stomach, and it makes my waist look TINY. I have red hair and the light gold color is really beautiful.

It is really beautiful. I'm just not sure it was what I would have chosen. But I don't dislike it by any means. I feel beautiful in it.

I just didn't step into and scream with joy (maybe I've been watching too much wedding tv).

My local salon called Maggie and they can get it for me but I have to decide asap.

Can you help me frame this? Did you step into your gown and light up and know it was The One? (Whatever that means). Did you wind up with something totally different than what you thought?

Re: THE Dress? The One? What if it doesn't happen?

• Options
    Buy that dress.  I had looked on line and in magazines to get an idea of what I liked.  I had favorites saved at DB website.  I went to DB looked at the catalog there while waitng for my consultant.  I flagged a dress that was a little like my favorites but not one of them.  I tried it and 2 others on.  It was the one.  I didn't scream or cry or anything like that.  In fact I said "This is weird" to my bff as I stood there wearing a wedding gown, veil, and tiara.  I love my dress and can't wait for it to come in.  It's not what I ever expected to wear but it is the right dress.  Everything  you are describing about this dress says to me that this is THE dress for you and I don't even know you.  You just didn't have a Say Yes to the Dress moment.  Those TV shows are overrated and staged. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't scream or cry. I just thought I looked darn good in it. I felt beautiful.

Sounds like you found The One. Go for it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    I have a lot of time so I don't have to decide asap, but I know what you mean.  I have tried on a TON of dresses, it's almost ridiculous.  Chardonnay is in my final 4 as of right now, but like you I haven't tried one on yet where I was like, "OMG, this is the ONE!"  I love Chardonnay and it is very flattering on!  I say go for it because it's a beautiful dress!  I think you'll be sorry if too much time goes by and you don't get it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It sucks because you don't have much time left. If they ordered it, would you be able to get alterations done if need be?

It is absolutely a stunning dress.

I actually did have "the dress" moment when I found my dress... I didn't cry or shake or anything like that. But I knew as soon as I was stepping into the dress that it was mine. Of course I had been lusting over the dress online for months before I actually got to try it on.... When I finally tried it on, I was all smiles and it felt right. That said, it took me months to find the dress. I spent hours looking at dresses online and tried on upwards of 70 dresses. Like seriously, it was ridiculous. I'm really glad that I did and that I ended up with my dress, but I'm not sure you have enough time. If you wait longer, you will end up having to buy a sample and there's no guarantee that you will have that "moment" anyhow.

I would take this next week and look at as many dresses as you can and try on as many dresses as you can. How many dresses have you tried on? If you don't find "the one" after that, then order this one that you like and that your FI loves.
  • Options
    Honestly it's a dress your going to wear once.  I never got that this the one feeling.  I like many can't say I every loved one but I went with what looked good on me and had what I was looking for in a dress.  I ended up ordering it0 and 3 months later they told me they couln't get it in so I had to start over with less than five months to go.  I found one that I liked that I had previously tried on and didn't like.  As long as you feel beautiful and comfortable in it is all that matters.  I had a totaly different idea of what I wanted and what I ended up gettting.  GL
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards