Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Fall wedding 2013

Hello ladies!

I'm looking to get married next October and we are paying for the whole wedding ourselves. I was looking for some advice on venues and good places to buy supplies top make my own table decorations etc. We have 3 children so we want to have something beautiful but will be easy on our wallet!

Thank you so much in advance

Amanda :-)

Re: Fall wedding 2013

• Congratulations!! First I would have to say that October is a really popular month for weddings in Pittsburgh, so you may have some trouble getting venues and vendors to negotiate down to a lower price. We're getting married in the off-season (winter, early spring) and we've been able to get all of the vendors we want and they've helped us out with costs. For example, we got about $400 off of our DJ because its off-season and because we paid in full with cash for our deposit. You could also consider doing a Friday or Sunday wedding, because in my experience venues will give about a 10% discount.

As far as good places to buy decor, I haven't really done that so I'm probably not the best person to answer. I would suggest looking at the classified boards, craiglist, and Save-on-crafts.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wouldn't worry about decorations yet.  I would first worry about finding your venue.  Once you have a venue and know the feel of your venue you can start thinking about decorations
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • I found this cool site a few days ago:  dollarstorecrafts.com   
    you might be able to find some good ideas on there. 
  • i just got married a week and a half ago, and our venue was difficult to book when we wanted it. we initially wanted early to mid september, but it was booked over a year in advances so i agree with the other girls- october is the busiest month, so maybe look into november, which is much slower. my dj said they don't have every weekend booked, and it is cheaper to book in the off months. he also said that march is pretty inexpensive too. if you do stick to october, start going to michales and joanns now to get a lot of their fall stuff cheap. i took leaf garlands and cut the leaves off and glued them to my candy bar stuff, you can scatter them on the cake table too. 
  • I was in a similiar situation.  We paid for wedding ourselves and I have a 10yr old so money was tight.  We were married in September and had an outdoor reception at a park.  We brougth in a caterer & DJ and did all of the decorations ourselves.  I found a fantastic florist who does the flowers out of her house which saved a lot of money.  It turned out absolutely beautiful!!!! 

I would definitely suggest starting to buy decorations and things now just to spread the cost of it over the next year (it won't hurt so bad).  You can probably find some nice things to make fall favors on clearance soon after the fall season.

Also, explain your situation to vendors.  Some may cut you a break after you tell them your story.  It doesn't hurt to ask.

We used Cafe Raymond in the Strip to cater and they customized a menu to fit our budget (and it was fantastic!)

And definitely ASK FOR HELP from friends and family.  You will be suprised by the people who really want to help out.

Good luck!!!!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_fall-wedding-2013?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:c7c56e95-1ab5-494a-8efe-84dab529b1b1Post:7689afdc-aa9a-4123-9dc6-cb25752f6a66">Fall wedding 2013</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello ladies! I'm looking to get married next October and we are paying for the whole wedding ourselves. I was looking for some advice on venues and good places to buy supplies top make my own table decorations etc. We have 3 children so we want to have something beautiful but will be easy on our wallet! Thank you so much in advance Amanda :-)
    Posted by Amandapgh79[/QUOTE]

<div>Hello!</div><div>
    </div><div>This is going to sound a little bit random but my husband and I own a wedding videography business called Steady Creek Cinema in Pittsburgh PA. If you still need to hire a videographer, we would be happy to accommodate you! As newly weds ourselves, we understand how hectic planning can be! When you have a second, check us out at:</div><div>steadycreekcinema.com Hope to hear from you soon! Good luck with all of your planning!</div><div>
    </div><div>Sincerely,</div><div>Bethany and Andrew D'Amico</div><div>steadycreekcinema@gmail.com</div><div>
    </div>
  • Amandapgh79 - Provide some more information please so we can all be more helpful. 

What area around Pittsburgh are you looking?
    Anything you do not want i.e. firehall, etc.?
    Indoors or outdoors?  Or both?
    Getting married onsite or in a church?

I can recommend my church and the banquet hall right next door.  My church is catholic but the priest will let anyone use the church who uses the neighboring banquet hall.  $100.  The hall is pretty and reasonable - Magnolia Room.  http://themagnoliaroom.com/

Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards