New Jersey

Has anyone purchased furniture from Value City, Jennifer, or Ashley Furniture?

Thoughts?  Reviews? 

FI and I are looking to get a new living room set (we'd really love a sectional, but we're not 100% sold on one yet).
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Has anyone purchased furniture from Value City, Jennifer, or Ashley Furniture?

• Denise91980Denise91980 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Ashley tends to get good reviews. There is a furniture place on Rt 1 in Linden that often runs sales and has nice furniture.

We have a leather sectional from Jennifer. It is like 9 yrs old and is still holding up pretty well. You wouldn't know we had it for almost 9 yrs.
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • smw42smw42 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have a sectional from Ashley that we've had for about 4 years and it's held up well. We also have furniture from American Signature and they're really reasonably priced and very good quality. I'd recommend checking out both places.
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    We got our couches from Ashley about 2 years ago and they are holding up really well :)
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011

We've purchased a few things from there. Dining Room table, coffee table, sleigh bed, and pull out sofa for the sunroom . I've had no problems with most of the items except the sofa. Feels a little flimsy when you try to move it around and my dog put a big rip in one of the cushions when "digging" to get comfortable. Shes done it on our other couches and caused no issue but this one ripped the first week. If you do buy it just make sure to get the warrenty that will cover any damages the first year. We forgot we had one until this week and plan to call them to get it fixed/replaced.

*Their delivery system is awesome! Usually deliver the next business day (even on Sundays) if the item is in stock!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • buttrflyahbuttrflyah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought my sectional, coffee tables and TV stand from Ashley about 2 years ago.  I think the quality of everything is really good considering the price we paid.  We negotiated on everything.  I even through in the "My name is Ashley do I get a discount" and they actually did it!!

My only gripe was the delivery time.  We bought during the Presidents day sale so that could be the problem, but our couches were apparently on back order, which they never told us, so our entire delivery was held up and ended up taking months to come.  I'd just double check with the sales person on the anticipated delivery date.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We got our sectional from Ashley....with a dog and a sloppy husband the the microfiber is heaven sent
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all of the reviews, ladies.  Looks like we'll definitely be making some trips to Ashley and Jennifer.

I have what may be a potentially stupid question... on the Ashley Furniture website it says that "Prices are not shown on this site because Ashley Furniture HomeStores and dealers are independently owned and operated.

Does that mean each store will have different prices for the same pieces of furniture?

Also, can you recommend your specific sofa or sectional?  I know it all depends on the dimensions, color, etc. that we're looking for, but I'd love to know which ones in particular you all have had good results with.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kkurzawakkurzawa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We bough an entire bedroom set from Ashley, good deals and the furniture held up really well. They usually have good sales too. I would wait until like   4th of July for sales. 
  • edited December 2011
    We bought 3 rooms of furniture from Value City Furniture and I'd highly recommend them. Our family room tables are Ashley brand but were cheaper at VCF than Ashley.
    We also had great luck at the Raymour & Flanigan clearance center on Rt 22 in Bridgewater. We bought a $2500 sofa & loveseat set for $750 including tax.
  • edited December 2011
    Our sofa sectional is the Cindy Crawford Metropolis (cream colored) sold at Raymour and Flanigan. It's the most comfortable thing I have sat in.
  • maddie7maddie7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I rec. checking out Villa Furniture on RT 22, we did our bedroom and dining room through them and their prices couldnt be beat as their service.
  • buttrflyahbuttrflyah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got the Logan sectional and ottoman from Ashley.  Its great because the pillows on the back are loose so we can move them/fluff them to keep them looking nice. 

The microfiber is the best!  I spilled an entire glass of red wine on the couch and it just beaded up and dripped right off... onto the carpet, so still an epic fail, but you get the point!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Our sectional is from Ashley and we have had no issues with it (and we are on that thing every day).

The prices do differ sometimes from store to store (we ended up getting a better deal at the Fairfield location than in Secaucus) so if you have the time definitely try to negotiate and visit more than one location.

You may also want to check out Jennifer and Bob's (similar quality/pricing)

---The Nest makes me wanna---
    imageimage
    ---Started TTC 12/1/11---
    Cycle 1 - 13 BFN
    Cycle 14 Surgery complete! BFP on 2/27/13!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    TTC buddies with sparklingdiamond and amandaf6383
  • sgdc2011sgdc2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We bought Ashley Brand Furniture from Value City.  So far so good!
  • ginabean82ginabean82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try checking out Raymore and Flannigan.  We just bought couches there a month ago and love them!  They also have a no interest for 48 month deal going on now.  Their store is huge!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We have Ashley stuff and Raymore and Flanigan stuff, and the Raymore stuff is built better and holding up better. Couches are not bad from Ashley, but I wouldn't get any wood products that you intend on lasting (like a bedroom set).
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
    http://tinyurl.com/3jjv7vy
  • edited December 2011
    Is Ashley ok for dining sets?
  • edited December 2011
    What kind of dining set?  Kitchen or dining room?

We loved a dining room set they had at ashley, but ended up getting one at Raymore.  The construction doesn't compare, real wood, vs fiber blends, dove tail drawers, vs tacked,etc.

For a dining room set, I suppose it doesn't matter as much, you hardly use it.  But for a kitchen set, you use it every day, so will want decent construction so it lasts.  Ashley isn't crap, but when I make an investment on furniture I am thinking a longer term purchase and want the best quality I can get for the money so it lasts.

I only buy during the friend and familiy events - 20% off, two times a yr.

I have leather family room couches I bought at ashley.  The leather is holding up great, and I love the set, but the springs and cushions really sit low after only 4 yrs.  We got a natuzzi sectional at Raymore for our bonus room, and it's holding up much better but it's only a yr old.

Our dining sets are real wood sets from raymore, again no complaints yet.  We made a mistake of getting our bedroom set at ashley becasue it was a really "good looking" set.  It was the highest quality set they offer and after only 1 yr the drawers don't close right, and tend to open on their own at times, I really regret not getting the raymore set.

This is the bedroom set we got

http://www.thefurniture.com/store/images/Ashley/bedroom/Leighton/B577-31-36-46-58-56-97-93.jpg
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
  • edited December 2011
    I love Ashley!  I bought beautiful iron and stone side tables and a matching coffee table from there.  My parents actually just purchased a gorgeous bedroom set from there as well.  Great prices (I think the bedroom was $3k w/ 5 pieces) and the furniture really holds up well!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • cindyn9178cindyn9178 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_anyone-purchased-furniture-value-city?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:abd279a3-322a-45f2-b4ff-80b746972a47Post:dc240c6c-1966-498a-a9da-45f9c7b24429">Re: Has anyone purchased furniture from Value City, Jennifer, or Ashley Furniture?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ashley tends to get good reviews. There is a furniture place on Rt 1 in Linden that often runs sales and has nice furniture. We have a leather sectional from Jennifer. It is like 9 yrs old and is still holding up pretty well. You wouldn't know we had it for almost 9 yrs.
    Posted by Denise91980[/QUOTE]
    We got our dining room set and our bedroom set from that place in Linden. I think it is called Room & Home Furniture. It is right by Ashley on Route 1. They have some great sales.
    We got our living room set and some other tables from Ashley and everything is great. We've had everything for just over 2 years now.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi!

My name is Heather and I work for Value City Furniture! I saw your post, and thought it would be appropriate to give you a special wedding present. A $100 Gift Card! So you can make the perfect furniture purchase!

Simply send me an email at vcf.facebookfans@vcf.com and we'll go from there!

Congratulations! :o)

Heather

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_anyone-purchased-furniture-value-city?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:abd279a3-322a-45f2-b4ff-80b746972a47Post:8781dac6-c107-43b4-8e48-d5037ebd53f8">Re: Has anyone purchased furniture from Value City, Jennifer, or Ashley Furniture?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi! My name is Heather and I work for Value City Furniture! I saw your post, and thought it would be appropriate to give you a special wedding present. A $100 Gift Card! So you can make the perfect furniture purchase! Simply send me an email at vcf.facebookfans@vcf.com and we'll go from there! Congratulations! :o) Heather
    Posted by Value City Furniture[/QUOTE]
    I know the rules about vendors posting on the board, but I'm going to ignore them for now because I just have to ask...

Is this real or a scam?  I'm really tempted...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Not a scam! We are going to give you a $100 Gift Card. :o)  I am going to send you a private message now with additional information.

• edited December 2011
    Wow, well that's wonderful!

We need a house full of furniture too, thanks for starting this thread peaches!  We are about to start shopping and it's a big investment, so it's good to know which places are good. 

Now if only we'd get a gift card to help us too, haha!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_anyone-purchased-furniture-value-city?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:abd279a3-322a-45f2-b4ff-80b746972a47Post:6585e997-fbde-409b-9783-0da493569ad4">Re: Has anyone purchased furniture from Value City, Jennifer, or Ashley Furniture?</a>:
    [QUOTE] I only buy during the friend and familiy events - 20% off, two times a yr.Posted by USER876[/QUOTE]

When are these?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    November and May usually
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards